Silly question #1: Death

.traveller.

What in blazes does Death mean in the position of "Helpful Influences"?

kmusky

Perhaps he or she needs to put something behind her and move on to something better. or there is something a departed one used to say that is very useful to the questioner.

rwcarter

I need context (like the positions near that card), but with just what you've given, I'd say the helpful influence is the knowledge that whatever's about to come to an end has to come to an end so that something new may begin.

Rodney

Kobarot

You might want to post the whole spread, so we have some context. The same goes for your other thread about the Chariot. :)

But going off of just that, I would say that kicking old habits, shedding old lifestyles, etc would qualify. Shaking yourself up and getting yourself out of bad places is certainly a helpful influence. Death tends to bring change whether we like it or not; the question is whether we welcome it or whether we resist it. Are you afraid of some monumental event coming up, like a career shift or a move or the like? Perhaps this is the cards telling you not to worry about it, that in the end this will be a good thing and you'll be glad for it.

Wolf Wing

Kobarot has relly hit the nail on the head. Death is about Transformation and change, and letting go of old habits.

Skysteel

.traveller. said:
What in blazes does Death mean in the position of "Helpful Influences"?

Stagnate things come to an end.

balenciaga

Something is coming to an end that will work to your benefit.

tmgrl2

Need the environment of the reading...other cards, influences, position, question, overall topic...

Sometimes Death means death.

Sometimes even that isn't bad. I've know people who have lost spouses and we all assume ...how horrible. Some of these people were relieved, since they had lousy relationships for way too many years and finally felt free. Hey, we don't know....

Have to read the cards within the context.

My husband is dying. We are very close and I have been caring for him for a long time. I will grieve his loss and miss him horrible, but it mean a time of change, a time for me to be able to move on, to resume living again, to do things I haven't been able to do.

There are no negative vs. positive cards in Tarot. The Ace of Cups in a recent reading was a very dark read for this person...that's just how it came through. Do the reading with your spirit open and imagination roaming say what comes to you...again, as I just said in another thread,

Being able to communicate well is key to doing a good Tarot reading.

terri

SwordsQueen

Have you ever had something in your life you KNOW is bad for you, but hold onto any way? Sometimes Death is the catalyst that finally kick-starts the process of letting go of old baggage, unhelpful energies, and people who are of no help to you. It may be something that comes as a surprise and you have no control over it, but once it happens, you are relieved.

Aulruna

It may tell you that an obstacle will be eliminated or that a former negative influence does not exist any more.

I have also encountered Death as a card that makes you take a bold plunge forward - letting go of fear.

*Caution: Using Tarot Cards is about discussing reading techniques or individual cards - if you want to get insight on a whole spread/reading, this would have to go to the YOUR READINGS section, and follow the guidelines for that subforum.*