Reverse cards: to use or not to use

SunChariot

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if not using a reverse cards I am missing a lot from my reading as having a reverse cards gives more additional meaning on the cards. Although I had given readings accurately in the past I feel that I am missing a lot of keywords and combination not learning the reverse card meanings. What's your take on this?

The choice is yours whether or not it calls to you to use reversed cards. But you can read perfectly well without them and never use them at all. Many readers don't.

But I felt the need to add in that there was not just one set of reverrsed card meanings that you can just learn and that is all there is to it. There are a number of different methods fo using reversals, each woudl lead the reversed cards to mean different things. I have tried 4 myself and NONE of them was the traditional method of turning negatives into positives and vice versa. I have never cared much for that method personally.

Babs

poivre

my only difficulty in reading reversals is I get so used to reading upright that if I have to start reading reversals I need to memorize again the keywords for the reversals that would take getting used to specially with the new info like that. how do uou deal with that?

Think of the reverse card as being behind a closed door. The door is getting ready
to open, but the card is still behind it.

If you don't want to learn the reversals, read the card as it would be upright and
explain that something needs to happen before the full meaning would apply.

Read the cards as upright but with a road block sign.

- one idea for you
:)

- reversals are not for everyone...don't put extra pressure on yourself if you
are happy with your readings and feedback

Bhavana

I think there are enough meanings to the cards without having to use reversals as well.

louiseb

i posted a simular thread some time ago and after allot of responce i decided not to read with reversals, but i found that my readings made less sense i got more positive reactions using the reversals. Some people choose not to use the rx others prefer to include them, its your choice, the only thing i can say is try both methods like i did and see what the reuslts are. I use the rx especially with the WRT because i believe now that there there for a reason. If the cards were meant to be used without the rx then the meanings wouldnt be there. Thats my view.

i agree with poivre if the results you get are positive then continue the way your reading. Theres no need to put extra pressure on your shoulders.
good luck

Scibility

Maybe try elemental dignities? Everyone learns and thinks so differently. For some people elemental dignities just clicks right away and seems more intuitive. For other people, reversals are their preferred method.

I love reading reversals. They add so much depth to a reading. You just have to find a way that makes the concept click for you. When you do, you might actually like reading them one way or the other!

Best of Luck to you.

Barleywine

I love reading reversals. They add so much depth to a reading.

So do I. Many shades of meaning come out of the dynamics between upright and reversed cards in a spread when read as a sequence. Since reversals can be interpreted in a number of ways, my experience is that you get more than twice the value for the effort expended in mastering them. Really, the difference should be (or become) intuitive, without having to memorize another set of keywords. But then. I've never done it any other way. I've been looking harder at the Revelations Tarot, and the more I see the more I like regarding its subtle handling of reversals; the images themselves tell the tale without having to resort to explanations.

Scibility

my experience is that you get more than twice the value for the effort expended in mastering them. Really, the difference should be (or become) intuitive, without having to memorize another set of keywords.

Really well said! I completely agree! I've found your posts to be so insightful Barleywine. I'm guessing you have many many years of experience with the cards.

My overall feeling about reversals was/is, if the deck creator includes meanings for the cards in the reversed position, then to me, if I don't consider the reversed meanings I am essentially missing the full experience of learning that particular system.

There are some decks that don't use reversed meanings, so it's easy to find a system that doesn't need the concept of reversed cards.

I agree with you completely though, it becomes very intuitive if you have a good basic understanding of what the upright card means. I would recommend that new readers try to understand the meanings of the card (not memorize them). If you understand the meaning, emotions, and feelings associated with the fundamental interpretation of a card, then learning reversals can become a very natural process.

If not, then elemental dignities seems to be another very effective option.

Hope you find a method that works best for you tarotenthusiastako!