Best Devil card?

mah jong

Well, thank you for that nightmare tonight!

Padma

I don't find Devil cards to actually be all that scary or creepy. Distasteful sometimes, but not frightening, really...In the end I find the Devil to be like the Wizard behind the curtain, in the Wizard of Oz. Expose him by opening the curtain, and *poof*! he is translated into a crabbed little man, full of pathetic, passive-aggressive attempts to mess one's head up with.

Having said that, I also like the Devil in the Housewive's tarot - as a piece of cake smoking a cigarette, and holding a drink, it actually makes sense!

Attachments

• housewives-tarot-devil-card.jpg
    housewives-tarot-devil-card.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 95

Persia

Have a look at these three Visconti Devils. The big one is just monstrous, but not much of an intellect. He's the kind who would eat your entrails first and not bother asking questions later. The middle-sized one (that's meant to be gold, all over the card) is an urbane and educated gent, the kind who sets people quizzes for their souls, or offers them worldly power for their souls, or plays fiddles at crossroads for their souls. But the mini Devil here, he's the really creepy one. He has to be my favourite Devil of all time. :)[/QUOTE]

I love the medieval and renaissance devils - they are the best. I have a board on pinterest that features devils and demons - i wish they were all tarot cards. Here are a couple that should be for sure:

From The Hours of Catherine of Cleves 1440
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/212443307395563396/

From a 14th Bolognese painting
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/212443307395442932/

Persia

If anyone has it, I'd love to see a pic of the Cephalopod deck Devil.

Padma

I wonder if Catherine of Cleves knew King Henry the VIII? (she may perhaps have been Anne of Cleves cousin or sis?) That is who the first devil reminds me of!

nisaba

I wonder if Catherine of Cleves knew King Henry the VIII? (she may perhaps have been Anne of Cleves cousin or sis?) That is who the first devil reminds me of!

It was a naming tradition of naming people after the town they came from, not the surname of a family. If the town was small enough, they might have known each other.

willowfox

The best devil card has yet to be done.

Holly doll

The Tarot of Dreams - the card reeks of the puppeteer pulling the strings...
Love the devil in the housewives tarot - totally appropriate ... & wadda a pair a gams!!!