What's with the mitt????

gloria

The plants in the planters could be forgetmenots.
There is a white 5 petalled version. (myosotis arvensis)

The forgetmenot, in plant language, symbolizes true love and memories.

G.

firemaiden

SongDeva said:
Seems to me the meaning changes with each reading.
And that different symbols will jump out for each reading, indicating a meaning for that querent.

Yes, I agree, Gloria, that SongDeva got it right with this. As I was intending to say: Bing-bing-bing-bing-bing-bingo!

gloria

Firemaiden, I shall be putting this card firmly out of my mind now. I’m past caring whether it be a happy or sad card.
(Oh wait, is there a chance it could be both at the same time? Maybe bitter-sweet memories? No forget it, I don’t care.)

I know that some time in the future, the 6/Cups will appear in a reading, and a huge grin will spread across my face, ( hopefully I’ll be on my own) remembering the many happy? posts we’ve shared dissecting this damned card!

Gloria.

Diana

gloria: Before you disappear from this thread.... all Tarot cards have two, or more sides to them. So they can all be happy and sad.

Thirteen

spoonbender said:
but I was by no means saying that you should always see the Six of Cups as meaning child abuse or something sinister. I even think the interpretation of Mary K. Greer is a bit far-going

'Fair nuff, no problem. Oh, and thanks for the blow-up of the card. My image was too small to see the details. You're right, the girl does have a hand under her scarf. Perhaps pressing it to her heart as the boy notices her, and her heart palpatates with puppy love? Just a thought given that this card, as someone says, relates to the Lovers card.

Also, it looks as if the boy isn't going to give her the cup of flowers so much as offer it to her to smell. He seems to be smelling it himself. Maybe the conversation went something like, "Here, take a look at these. Aren't they pretty? Smell nice too."

The guard seems to be strolling along, no enemies in sight, just daily guard duty, or so it seems to me. Heading on his way to the guard tower there. He's interesting in a couple of ways. First, carrying the spear away from the children emphasizes, to me, that this is a cups card--peace, emotions, cups are in the foreground. Spears (war, fire) are relegated to the background. Were he close, the little boy would be more intersted in the guard, the fighter and warrior--and this card would be about learning how to fight, not learning how to love/care. With the guard away, the boy can turn his attentions to the girl. Also we have that opposition, the adult with the spear, the boy with the flowers. This emphasizes the innocence of the boy (too young to fight, and, in fact, young enough to sniff flowers without fear of seeming unmanly).

The second intreguing thing about the guard is that the guard's presence (and that watch tower) suggests that the children are in the courtyard of a castle, not as I originally thought, in a village. The castle gardens perhaps? A very protected childhood indeed. Rather reminds me of the story of Buddha, raised in a castle where everything was pretty and beautiful, protected at all costs from any ugliness in the world.

Of course, the upshot of that story is that one day he sees an old man, realizes the world does not stay young and beautiful, and heads out to learn and be enlightened. All of which goes along very well with the "moment in Eden" view of the card. A time of being protected, maybe overly so, of love (if we're interpeting it as love) at it's most innocent. A sweet time, but fleeting, and that's for the best. Growth doesn't happen in a vacume.

firestorm

O.K.....I just read this entire thread in addition to the one in the Rider Waite study group that someone linked to this one. There has been so much info supplied about this card, my head is reeling! It's gonna take time for me to sort this one out! There are only 2 remaining thoughts regarding this card that I have.....I'm interested in opinions. 1) What significance, if any, would there be in the one flower in the first pot facing the other way? 2) Why would the guard not be in color like the other two people?

gloria

Firestorm.... I thought I had scrutinised every last detail of this card, I am amazed I missed seeing that flower looking in other direction.
Am off to ponder on this.

Thanks for that, Gloria.

Thirteen

Originally posted by firestorm 2) Why would the guard not be in color like the other two people?

I'd say it was not only to bring forward the children (color centers the attention on them and makes them pop out), but also to again emphasize the difference between childhood and adulthood. Even in a scene that's likely a winter scene, the children are colorful, childhood is colorful. It's bright--and such fond memories, part of the meaning of this card, are usually soft and pretty. When you think back on good times in childhood, you often pretty them up (a beloved memory of a childhood picnic edits out the ants, gnats and trash, right?). That's nostolgia.

The guard, hinting at adult things, war included (instead of love represented by the cups) and the future, is a gloomy reality, faded and "black and white"--not colorful at all.

firestorm

Thanks, Thirteen. That makes sense to me!

Dark Eyes

Hiya all,
I think it would be very interesting to show this card to some of our children who don't understand the tarot and the card meanings. just to see how they view the card and what story they might come up with ! There may well be many other stories and interpretations that we as adults are not seeing. We are all guided by our own paradigms and sometimes we refuse to see another angle on something. A child might have an angle on this card that will blow us all away !!

"just a thought"

Regards... D.E. ;)