The Heart of Faerie

Alta

I seem to have moved completely over to the Heart of Faery from the original Faeries' Oracle.

strings of life

Le Fanu said:
Enable me to why I might like it. In two minds...what would you say are the main differences?
I'm a late faerie bloomer, so let's get that out of the way...

The Heart of Faerie cards seem more vivid and detailed to me. They are quite different than the The Faerie's Oracle and I suppose that is due to new graphics programs and technology. His his paintings and sketches come to life in both, but there is something about the Heart of Faeries that draws me in more than its predecessor. The colors are a bit bolder and the faces on some of the fae and characters evoke a wide array of emotions. I also love the backs and the titles are easier to read. I dislike the backs and titles on The Faerie's Oracle (and fully realize that my latter statement may irritate Froud purists, ha).

The Heart of Faerie made me purchase The Faerie's Oracle again! I had sold my first copy. Call me crazy, but I just didn't connect with it. I LOVE the artwork and have a soft spot for all things Froud--books, movies, must I list everything :laugh:? Now, I appreciate that deck. I must admit, I haven't read with it yet though. I will though!
Le Fanu said:
Do people use them together? How many cards would it be together? 120 something?
The Heart of Faerie has 68 cards and The Faeries' Oracle has 66 = 134 (making a grand and complete fae deck). I plan on putting them together at some point.
Le Fanu said:
Interesting how you suggest concentrating on Heart of Fairy first; that's the one I find more appealing of the two to be honest!
That's what I am doing. I read the book once and spent time with the cards before bedtime. I have also been participating in the Faery Seekers' Circle and that has helped me with using it for fluid (I hope) readings.

Go. Get it. No one does faeries like Froud, and I doubt anyone else ever will. Some are whimsical, and some are very dark. There are so many details in most of the cards and they will let themselves be known at the right time.

DragonFae

I never felt drawn to combined the decks...then one day I sort of did.....it last for like two days. LOL

The decks together don't seem to work for me at all....not sure why...I actually combined them because I felt sorry for the orginal fae...they seemed to be getting neglected.

But now instead of combining them I do some readings where I use both decks....sometimes the spreads are questions and answer spreads....where one fae asks the question and the other deck answers....and other various spreads....that seems to work better for me than a complete blending of both decks.

Guiding Cauldron

Le Fanu said:
Interesting how you suggest concentrating on Heart of Fairy first; that's the one I find more appealing of the two to be honest!

My expirience often tells me to do what your lead to do. :) What feels right to you, what intrests you, after your the one studying and leaerning as only you can hun. Good luck with it all xx

moderndayruth

I've got mine, finally... ;) It was an unusual story, as (usual lol) with Faeries... I was in NYC a week ago, got to Borders across the hotel where i stayed in search for wi-fi... of course, ended up at the 'metaphysical studies' section and voilà there was The Heart of Faerie among other oracles (not too many i must add, the choice was very limited).
I wasn't sure i wanted it in the first place and given that i had too many things to do and get, i left it on the shelf.
Fast forward five days, my last morning in NY, i am doing my morning meditation, need to pack and get ready to leave... and the Faerie from the book cover just flows into my meditation... and i feel i must get the oracle and bring it home with me; so i get dressed and rush across the street to Borders and... here i am, home with the Faeries! :D

(Technically i am still in Belgrade, but, in our parts that is. ;))

I like the deck and though didn't really like the artwork of what i've seen online - i actually like it a lot in RL... there you go, another Faerie story. :)

Muir Aingeal

I finally have mine and I love it! I personally like the art much better than the other one not that there was anything wrong with the other one by any means! So many things to look at on each card and my readings have been right on the money! The book well.... tis a little flat but it works just the same.

My two favorite oracles of all time! The Faeries and Heart of Faerie :heart:

moderndayruth

Muir Aingeal said:
I finally have mine and I love it! I personally like the art much better than the other one not that there was anything wrong with the other one by any means! So many things to look at on each card and my readings have been right on the money! The book well.... tis a little flat but it works just the same.

Right, the first book is far better - this one looks as if it has been written in a hurry and without much thought... But the cards speak for themselves, that's the good side. ;)
Interestingly, i strongly disliked the artwork of the HOF online, but actually like it a lot in RL! (Which is of course far better than the other way around lol)
Yet, truth to be told - as someone mentioned earlier, it all seems to be done for Mr Froud to cash in more money on the same concept, not that he thought of something revolutionary new; many cards seem simply to be the re-done version of the first oracle.
Anyway, i am happy to have both oracles and like them a lot - but i hope they'll stop at this, i think that third oracle of the kind would be commercial beyond good taste.

MagsStardustBlack

Can i join in this thread - I've just ordered the Fearie Oracle by Froud, can't wait for it to arrive, i love this thread, i have never used oracle card's before, i'm hoping i will find them easier than Tarot as i'm more intuitive and feel the Fearie world around me. Mags.

Laura Borealis

I just saw these in the bookstore today. I'm very surprised that I missed them before -- seems they've been out for quite a while! Definitely want them, but we always run a little short over the holidays, especially now that there are more nieces and nephews to get presents for, so I am holding off on gifts for myself for now.

Thanks to all who've posted scans. I immediately recognized the Queen of Passage. That painting, or one very like it, was the cover for Charles de Lint's The Dreaming Place (link goes to amazon). In a review on another site, I could see that some of the other Queens come from other book covers that Brian Froud did, which you can see here (link goes to Froud's own site). I've always loved those covers, so it's wonderful to see them getting wider exposure. :)

Can't wait to get this... maybe Santa will bring it... :p

DragonFae

Oh...I hope Santa does.....you will LOVE them!!!