The Heart of Faerie

stargazer

DragonFae said:
Another commented that Jessica's book was much richer...and I do agree the faery lore seemed to come alive in her hands....but at the same time I am finding the bare bones approach of Wendy...to be exactly what I need at this time....I find it liberating....I find that I can reach out and discover faery on my own with just this little bit of prompting. While I was most glad for Jessica's wonderful guidance with the Faeries Oracle...I also felt somewhat bound by it...as if she was the faery expert...and I but just a spectator.....this time around it is I who am the faery expert....left to wander through faery with little more than a compass....
While I also loved the book that Jessica wrote, I found myself referring to the book meanings and taking them as law, rather than going with my own, if you know what I mean .. I don't think that this was at all what Jessica intended, but because she gave such wonderfully detailed meanings for each card, I didn't feel that I could improve on it with my own interpretation. It was almost as if she had done my thinking for me LOL!

However the new book does seem to leave scope for this, as you say, 'the bare bones' approach is exactly whats needed (for me anyway) to stretch me into finding my own meanings, with just a gentle nudge in the right direction from Wendy. :)

irisa

Different strokes for different folks and also what's great about the Faeries they are that individual. We could all have entirely different conversations with the same faerie.

I don't give much weight to book meanings they are after all just someones opinion no matter how much of an expert or artist they are, interesting to read maybe, but what the cards say to me ... is to me... what counts.

With that clear :) It's now made sense to me why I'm so disappointed by the new book. It's just meanings - no fun, no little tidbits of Faerie chatter. What makes a book good for me is when I get something more from it than just meanings. It's why I love the books that accompany MRP decks there's always so much more than just this means this.

And I do feel this second deck while beautiful has been sanitised a bit to appeal to a wider, fluffier audience. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. Six months time I may be re-reading this wondering what the heck I was talking about :D

irisa :)

Satori

irisa said:
And I do feel this second deck while beautiful has been sanitised a bit to appeal to a wider, fluffier audience. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. Six months time I may be re-reading this wondering what the heck I was talking about :D

Funny you say sanitised a bit. I have never understood what people thought was so scary about the FO. It just never struck me that way at all. They are somewhat tricksy, but not all that scary. In the new deck, I feel a level of menace.

I haven't pulled out my FO deck yet to put them side by side. And it hasn't occurred to me to compare them beyond saying that I think one is a little but country and the other a little bit Rock and Roll! Or country vs city.

I don't think about comparing them or saying one is better or worse. It just doesn't seem like it would be....right. I say that not to be critical of irisa. Just that it seems somehow foreign to me to reject them because they didn't make it into the first pack.

I remember when I got the FO and read Jesa's book. I clearly remember reading that there were fae paintings that she had she had said No to and I thought...there are more? Where are they, what are they doing? Why don't they make another deck? I want to see them....Now! And I've been waiting ever since.

So, it doesn't even dawn on me to reject this new group of fae.

faunabay

DragonFae said:
Another commented that Jessica's book was much richer...and I do agree the faery lore seemed to come alive in her hands....but at the same time I am finding the bare bones approach of Wendy...to be exactly what I need at this time....I find it liberating....I find that I can reach out and discover faery on my own with just this little bit of prompting. While I was most glad for Jessica's wonderful guidance with the Faeries Oracle...I also felt somewhat bound by it...as if she was the faery expert...and I but just a spectator.....this time around it is I who am the faery expert....left to wander through faery with little more than a compass....
I like this. This is kind of what I'm finding with myself. Jesa's book "taught" me how to listen to and work with the fae on my own. I did take her meanings and information as the gospel. }) At first......then kind of went my own way too. But the original information, names, etc. was already in my brain so I just built from that.

With this deck I'm taking what I learned from Jesa and running with it. I hadn't even opened the book for this new deck until a couple of nights ago. Then I just read the intro. Then last night curiousity got the better of me and I went to read what Wendy had to say about a couple of the fae I've already talked to. Compared to what they told me what was in the book was pretty bland. We were both on the same track but I got sooooo much more information that what was in the book.

So I can see what you're saying dragonfae. I do feel much more the faerie "expert"...the faeries are rolling their eyes at me! :p At least from where I was before I feel the expert! :D

irisa

Satori said:
I don't think about comparing them or saying one is better or worse. It just doesn't seem like it would be....right. I say that not to be critical of irisa. Just that it seems somehow foreign to me to reject them because they didn't make it into the first pack.

So, it doesn't even dawn on me to reject this new group of fae.

I think you misunderstand me Satori if I've given the impression that I'm rejecting the new ones I'm not. I just don't have the desire to combine them with my original FO and that's what I expected to happen. I'm suprised that I don't get any feeling of real connection between the two sets other than artist. And I have laid them out side by side there are perhaps 6 or so cards from the new deck that could maybe skip back and forth between the decks. Who knows maybe they're the ones that didn't make it into the first deck I doubt somehow there were 68 that didn't.

I didn't personally find the originals in any way scary (I actually can't think of any image anywhere that scares me) although there were difficult cards but I have had people comment on the scariness even of the backs of the cards. I showed this deck to a friend who really really didn't like the FO at all and she loved these "like they've stepped out of a fairytale rather than lurking in the woods" she said.

I don't think in terms of good or bad, better or worse, just different, for you it may be rock and roll for me it's fluffy. So thus far I'll work with them seperately if my FO decide the others should be included in the fun then I'm sure they'll let me know. As I said before it's early days six months down the line they may be living happily all mixed up having a party.

BlueDragonfly

inanna_tarot said:
*repeats* Im on a deck diet, Im on a deck diet *mantra*

But Im still on a diet.

Until march then these fairy babies are coming to meeeeee

so one of the worst deck diets ever lol

inanna, March is....MONDAY! :D

I didn't wait. I needed some retail therapy Today! They will be winging their way to me shortly. I do have to wait two weeks to get the original Faeries Oracle, the damn car insurance is taken out on an automatic payment plan, and that comes out of next weeks paycheck. :mad:

DragonFae

irisa....I know what you mean...never thought you were rejecting or even being negative about the faeries....much of what you say is exactly right....I was just elaborating on your thoughts with a different spin ....I find when others take a different dirrection it really helps define mine,....so I wanted to give you some different doors to open...so to speak....the idea that this is your opportunity to be the faery expert....not Wendy Froud...I enjoy your thoughts and they do have lots of merit.

Someone said that after developing their relationships and talking to the faeries they had looked at the book and it was rather bland but with the general idea of what they had gotten from the faeries...Again this morning I was amazed by just this.....On almost every faery I have talked with...It comes up with the general theme or idea that Wendy writes about BUT with much more detail and insight....BUT still it amazes me that they are the same as Wendy's general very simple explanations...interesting...truly.

Today I drew The Pan.....I wrote about it in the Daily Draw thread....but at first I was a bit annoyed because as I said I want FAERY not Disney and for some reason I thought Peter Pan....perhaps also because of the Tink card....anyway...he talked with me a bit and then I looked at the book...it was so close as to be a bit scary...but so much more depth than the book...these conversations are becoming better and better...

DragonFae

Another thought.....isn't there always...lol

Some have combined the decks....I don't feel drawn to do that at this point but who knows in the future...I don't see them as seperate at all but just don't feel a need to combine them...

I can however see myself using them together in readings....especially in the way I do the Alice and Mexican Loteria cards sometimes.....Where one asks the questions (that need to be asked of the situation) and the others answers...So in other words...the reading is about a situation or an area of life...and you deal from one deck and those are the questions that need to be asked and you deal from the other deck the answers...

For example: If my area I wanted to explore was......friendships....

From Faeries Oracle I drew: Gawtcha....the question might be...what are you afraid to see in your friendships....or What do you need to take a look at in your friendships....

From the Heart of Faerie I drew: The Lady of Leprechauns (this is one I have spoken with yet...hmmm) She is telling me that friendshiops are like leprechauns..they can be magical but tricky...that one has to keep an eye on them or they disappear....so perhaps I am not devoting enough time to my friendships or am too self centered in them and need to be more aware of my freinds needs etc...

So...I need to put these faerie cards away and get bust...things to do...but just wanted to share this

Satori

I didn't think you were rejecting them....I suppose I used the wrong word. I also didn't think you meant anything negative. Sorry if you thought so! ;)

faunabay

DragonFae said:
Someone said that after developing their relationships and talking to the faeries they had looked at the book and it was rather bland but with the general idea of what they had gotten from the faeries...Again this morning I was amazed by just this.....On almost every faery I have talked with...It comes up with the general theme or idea that Wendy writes about BUT with much more detail and insight....BUT still it amazes me that they are the same as Wendy's general very simple explanations...interesting...truly.
I'm finding this myself. I'm getting very similar messages from the fae but in much more depth than Wendy has in her book. Mind you I haven't looked at more than 1 or 2 of the cards I've already talked to. So we'll see as we get into it more later.
But I'm just soooo loving this deck. It's going to be taking me that much further in my personal spiritual life and in general faerie friendships!! :heart: