Tarot de Marseille - Marteau Grimaud, informations for collectors

Moonbow

Wonderful muted and unusual Grimaud colours in your deck thinkbuddha, and as you say, not like many of the Grimaud decks around. Another version that I like is 17b, I would love that deck. Thank you for showing us the cards and adding to this thread.

Igor

Deck 21

Hello thinbuddha,

Thank you for all these informations.

thinbuddha said:
If you want, I can take more detailed pictures to send to you so you can see for yourself.

It would be great ! I already got the model for the box, so the thing that I need is to find the same blue-paper or a similar one. Can you send me a scan or a photo of the blue paper that covers the box. I think that the back of the box would be the best. Have you ever seen this kind of paper in a shop ?

thinbuddha said:
Just a guess, but I would think that your deck is more recent because the colors seem more similar to the editions that were printed in the 60's and beyond.
Yes, you are probably right.

Igor.

thinbuddha

I don't want to hijack the thread with off topic information, but if you pm me your email address, I'll be glad to send you a few more photos once I have the chance to take them.

Moonbow- I love that 17b deck as well. I was actually sort of hoping that this deck might have been the 17b (the description didn't contian enough info for me to rule it out as a possibility). But yes, I'm pretty happy with the deck I ended up with. It has a nice mellow feel to it.

"C"

Guten Morgen coredil...

Ich bin grad über diesen/Deinen Grimaud Thread gestolpert und so wies aussieht bist Du hier ja als Grimaud Experte bekannt - was mich sehr freut - einerseits weil Du aus Deutschland bist - was diese Unterhaltung - wenn sie denn eine wird - an schwierigen Stellen einfacher macht - und andererseits kann ich Dich n paar Dinge über den Ursprung dieses besonderen Kartensatzes fragen...

Ich weiss nicht wie Dein Interesse am ( Grimaud ) Tarot gelagert ist - es gibt ja z. B. nur reine Sammler... - aber der Grimaud Tarot ist der einzige ( mir bekannte ) Marseiller Tarot Kartensatz der all die kleinen Details enthält die ihn zu einem wirklichen Tarot ( True Tarot bzw. T² ) machen - was ich darunter verstehe findest Du in meinem Thread "LIBER MUNDI" unter "Tarot History & Iconography / Historical Research - wenns Dich interessiert kann ich Dir gern mehr darüber erzählen...
Auf englisch oder deutsch - wie du willst - falls du willst...

Jetzt zu meiner Frage...

Paul Marteau hat ja ein Tarot Deck von Nicolas Conver als Vorlage benutzt - wie man an der gesamten Ikonografie zweifelsfrei erkennen kann - aber es sind ne Menge Details darin enthalten die auf keinem mir bekannten Conver Deck zu sehen sind - wie man weiss hat Conver ja zuweilen ( mit gutem Grund ) mehrere Versionen einer Karte hergestellt...

Kennst Du den Kartensatz von Conver den Marteau als Vorlage benutzt hat oder gibt es Abbildungen davon ( wenn ja - wo ? ) oder hat Paul Marteau dazu irgendwelche sachdienlichen Angaben gemacht ?

Alles Gute für Dich

C

Moonbow

Care to translate that for us "C"?

Welcome to Aeclectic btw.

Moonbow*

"C"

My apologies Moonbow - this was not meant as an offense - in the short Ive asked coredil - as a renown Grimaud expert on this site - whether he knew something about the Nicolas Conver deck Paul Marteau used for his work because on the Paul Marteau Grimaud Tarot deck are many details one wouldnt find on the Conver Cards - it would be nice to see the Original - I couldnt find it anywhere...

I put my inquiry in German because he is also German and I thought he might be the one who could help me with that - and it seemed to be a little complicated...

For further information I introduced him to my Liber Mundi Thread and offered to provide him with more details about this important and special deck - if he was interested in the cards in other ways than gathering them...

From now on I will do any post in German to spare me some time and you my Fellow Aeclectics some embarrassment...

C

coredil

C said:
Guten Morgen coredil...

Ich bin grad über diesen/Deinen Grimaud Thread gestolpert und so wies aussieht bist Du hier ja als Grimaud Experte bekannt - was mich sehr freut - einerseits weil Du aus Deutschland bist - was diese Unterhaltung - wenn sie denn eine wird - an schwierigen Stellen einfacher macht - und andererseits kann ich Dich n paar Dinge über den Ursprung dieses besonderen Kartensatzes fragen...

Ich weiss nicht wie Dein Interesse am ( Grimaud ) Tarot gelagert ist - es gibt ja z. B. nur reine Sammler... - aber der Grimaud Tarot ist der einzige ( mir bekannte ) Marseiller Tarot Kartensatz der all die kleinen Details enthält die ihn zu einem wirklichen Tarot ( True Tarot bzw. T² ) machen - was ich darunter verstehe findest Du in meinem Thread "LIBER MUNDI" unter "Tarot History & Iconography / Historical Research - wenns Dich interessiert kann ich Dir gern mehr darüber erzählen...
Auf englisch oder deutsch - wie du willst - falls du willst...

Jetzt zu meiner Frage...

Paul Marteau hat ja ein Tarot Deck von Nicolas Conver als Vorlage benutzt - wie man an der gesamten Ikonografie zweifelsfrei erkennen kann - aber es sind ne Menge Details darin enthalten die auf keinem mir bekannten Conver Deck zu sehen sind - wie man weiss hat Conver ja zuweilen ( mit gutem Grund ) mehrere Versionen einer Karte hergestellt...

Kennst Du den Kartensatz von Conver den Marteau als Vorlage benutzt hat oder gibt es Abbildungen davon ( wenn ja - wo ? ) oder hat Paul Marteau dazu irgendwelche sachdienlichen Angaben gemacht ?

Alles Gute für Dich

C
Guten Morgen C,

I write further in english ;)
(for other members, C is asking on what Conver deck the Marteau Grimaud is based)

The line drawings of the Marteau Grimaud are almost 100 % identical to the line drawings of the deck published by Grimaud in 1891.
This goes as well for the line drawings of the majors (except Junon and Jupiter of course) as also for line drawings of the the minors

This is the deck with the mention "Arnoult 1748"
I call it the "Arnoult Grimaud"
(Deck 17 and 17 b of this thread)
Paul Marteau did only very minimal corrections but changed of course the coloring.

The line drawings of the majors of the "Arnoult Grimaud" itself are identical to an older deck with the same mention "Arnoult 1748", but printed by Lequart.
I call it the "Arnoult Lequart"
The line drawings of the "Arnoult lequart" are different from the "Arnoult Grimaud" and have a lot of similarity to the Conver deck but they are not exactly the same.
I do have some scans of this deck but unfortunately I am not allowed to post them.
There are not very easy to find.
I guess Yves le marseillais acquired some times ago a copy of this deck.
Maybe he will post some scan one day.

I have a few more informations about this and I could also get an almost complete copy of an old Arnoult Grimaud deck.
Some day I will post some scans and add the further informations.

best regards

coredil

Moonbow* said:
Many thanks for the summary "C".

You may be interested in an old thread on the Paul Marteau colours:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=19560

...and a possible answer? Arnoult?:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57539

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=23541 (this thread comes full circle), but hopefully others will have more information for you.

[PS, just wondering if this topic deserves its own thread]
Thanks a lot Moonbow for pointing at this threads, I almost forgot them ;)
I must confess this thread is quite chaotic and does not contain all the informations it should.
This is due to how it begun, with only a few decks and much much less informations.
Maybe one day I will take the time to update it ... but my laziness increases with my age ;)

Best regards