Wow, what an awful RWS print from China

tarotbear

Kinda sad, isn't it? It's like all those tattoos that men got during WW2 that basically turn black and indistinct with aging. Then, too, in one of my Eden Grey books the book illustrations look like that black, smudgy version, too. Sometimes I think it has more to do with the process by which the copy (and it's copy down the road a few generations) was made - nothing like the laser-sharp HD stuff we have now! Too much work (and $$$) to have someone clean up the copies.

Le Fanu

But isn't this the Printed in China Original RWS? We always knew that was smudged - it's a Pam C, I think. But the printed in China versions are quite recent - the deck itself was put out in 1993 - first in Belgium, then Italy and now in China. All of them have that smudged King of Pentacles. But they still carry that 1993 copyright even though the printed in Italy ones, for example, must have come out circa 2004.

Or are you talking about the yellow box one? I bought a printed in China Original RWS on the stiff board cardstock a month or so ago, just to see the new cardstock and it was that same measly blotchy, Original RWS print effect.

Sandalwood

I have the 54th printing that came out of Switzerland. I attempted to buy another a few years ago, and it was too glossy (came out of Italy).

Hope you will find one :) Perhaps second hand?

Kinda sad, isn't it? It's like all those tattoos that men got during WW2 that basically turn black and indistinct with aging. Then, too, in one of my Eden Grey books the book illustrations look like that black, smudgy version, too. Sometimes I think it has more to do with the process by which the copy (and it's copy down the road a few generations) was made - nothing like the laser-sharp HD stuff we have now! Too much work (and $$$) to have someone clean up the copies.

Men with smudged tattoos? You have just made this deck sexy, lol.
Yeah, probably right that it's too expensive to clean up the copies & it may relate to process.
Would want a cleaned up deck to read with for others. If this is the first deck someone reads with I can imagine they aren't that taken with the RWS.
But isn't this the Printed in China Original RWS? We always knew that was smudged - it's a Pam C, I think. But the printed in China versions are quite recent - the deck itself was put out in 1993 - first in Belgium, then Italy and now in China. All of them have that smudged King of Pentacles. But they still carry that 1993 copyright even though the printed in Italy ones, for example, must have come out circa 2004.

Or are you talking about the yellow box one? I bought a printed in China Original RWS on the stiff board cardstock a month or so ago, just to see the new cardstock and it was that same measly blotchy, Original RWS print effect.

Yes, the original. Well, I don't think "we" all knew that. I certainly didn't look at a print edition at all when ordering & I think many just order so that's why I posted :) (originally on the deck thread) - I own 2 of the one on the right. So I thought that's what I would get, lol.
Have to see if it's a yellow box. Not sure. Just said china, 1993.

Laura Borealis

Wow, that's terrible. And weird, there are sections of the banner that aren't colored red. Look right under the sleeves, to each side of the chair.

Sandalwood

Wow, that's terrible. And weird, there are sections of the banner that aren't colored red. Look right under the sleeves, to each side of the chair.

You are right! Didn't notice.
I'm over the initial shock and do like the card stock (and have been secretly reading with it all day ;) )