Fantastical Creatures Study Group--King of Cups

Selene87

Court cards are, admittedly, my weakest point in tarot. Since I'm fairly new to tarot, that's pretty weak. I've kind of developed a way of interpreting most of the other court cards, but the King of Cups (and the Knight, but we'll save that for a different thread) for some reason just freezes me up. I don't know if anyone else finds him threatening. I think it's the beard. The LWB gives nothing helpful for meanings. I was wondering what others thought about this card and its meaning in the Fantastical deck. Do you see Neptune as an emotionally, mentally mature man or as an emotional tyrant and perhaps even a leech that sucks energy and emotions away from you? I feel like I'm supposed to see him as positive and stable. (Isn't it the knights that are supposed to be unstable?) But for every positive spin I put on the imagery, there's an equally negative interpretation. So, is the cup glowing on both ends because it is full and fulfilled, or are the contents being siphoned off? Are the fish attracted to the positive energy of the cup, or are they sucked into a whirlpool against their will? Does Neptune look kind and peaceful or proud and sneering?

Also, I know that court cards are very often representative as people, and I'd like to hear interpretations along those lines. But I also find that they represent situations or the emotional atmosphere of a relationship/interaction, etc. for me--perhaps as a kind of warning as to how I should be thinking of behaving or qualities I should seek or avoid in myself. So, if possible, I'd like to hear people's take on the meaning of the king as both a person and a situation. :)