TOADies Anonymous.

starlightexp

After a ton of times posting decks up here I finally just took the last of the decks to be purged over to a Half Price Books yesterday and it's such a relief. There were decks I got that wad a bit disappointed in, decks that I felt bad I never used, decks that beautiful but not for me. Each time I would look at them I would be reminded of the disappointment or feel guilt that I wasn't getting round to them and now my collection which two years ago was close to 300 decks now is about 100 and I could not be more ecstatic about it. It was hard at first because as a collector I felt like I NEEDED to keep them. I spent money on them I NEEDED to keep them. I may get around to them some day so I NEED to keep them but once I made that first cull about a year back I just wanted to get rid of more and more and keep only those that I could speak to with love and joy and not "Well I have it, but....." It has been so liberating I can't even describe it.

Jen P

TOADies

Which location of Half Priced Books did you sell them to?

Just kidding. Well only sort of. ;-)

Congratulations starlightexp. Really well done.

TinySpark

been purging for a while now... books, decks, miscellaneous metaphysical stuffs...

I now own only 7 tarot decks, 1 oracle, and 4 pretty playing card decks. I cut down my book-buying and now only have my "essential" two or three books on kindle, with the exception of my companion books to my decks and one awesome big book of spreads.

I don't know that I'll ever give up buying new decks once in a blue moon, but I will try to keep it to the magical number of seven tarot decks. If I get a new one I have to be willing to part with another one.

I fell off the wagon for awhile, but I realized I just don't want more decks. There are so so so many pretty ones out there, but I like what I have now, the search for {the prettiest or most interesting decks} at least for me is pretty much over. I am more focused now on exploring and strengthening my intuition with the tarots and oracles and cartomancy I have now.

Jen P

purging decks

After a ton of times posting decks up here I finally just took the last of the decks to be purged over to a Half Price Books yesterday and it's such a relief. There were decks I got that wad a bit disappointed in, decks that I felt bad I never used, decks that beautiful but not for me. Each time I would look at them I would be reminded of the disappointment or feel guilt that I wasn't getting round to them and now my collection which two years ago was close to 300 decks now is about 100 and I could not be more ecstatic about it. It was hard at first because as a collector I felt like I NEEDED to keep them. I spent money on them I NEEDED to keep them. I may get around to them some day so I NEED to keep them but once I made that first cull about a year back I just wanted to get rid of more and more and keep only those that I could speak to with love and joy and not "Well I have it, but....." It has been so liberating I can't even describe it.

Forgot to include the quote in my recent post.

Good for you!!!

Thoughtful

Since buying the Thoth and having my Roots of Asia l have not bought another deck. l do get extremely tempted specially coming here and seeing all the new decks. l have to keep myself away from Ebay, l see a deck and think oh yes must have, but l have now developed a wait until tomorrow and see how you feel. It works a charm as the impetus to buy has disappeared.

What l do now is pull a deck from my little collection to see if l can wean myself away from Thoth. That does not work at all as l cannot wait to get back to Thoth.

So Thoth is keeping me on the straight and narrow together with my new found
wait until tomorrow strategy.

l love you Thoth :love: you have saved me a heap of money and now when the dogs need treatment or the car gets sick l don't panic so much.

EmpyreanKnight

I love the Thoth myself, Thoughtful (Thothful?). So I'm going to buy a few more books on it, just so I can master it. Perhaps a few Tarot decks and oracles too. And an additional Lenormand, I feel like it's time for one.

I have behaved very well and gone cold turkey for almost half a year. It's time for my reward. :D I promise to rein myself in again after this.

seedcake

Since buying the Thoth and having my Roots of Asia l have not bought another deck. l do get extremely tempted specially coming here and seeing all the new decks. l have to keep myself away from Ebay, l see a deck and think oh yes must have, but l have now developed a wait until tomorrow and see how you feel. It works a charm as the impetus to buy has disappeared.

What l do now is pull a deck from my little collection to see if l can wean myself away from Thoth. That does not work at all as l cannot wait to get back to Thoth.

l love you Thoth :love: you have saved me a heap of money and now when the dogs need treatment or the car gets sick l don't panic so much.

The same situation :D

But soon I'll buy one new deck, it was calling me for a while - Vision Quest. I think about Tarot La Santa Muerte too. But these will be only one purchase and then again, no buying deck (just cosmetics, clothes, food and so on :D).

DDwarks

That's what I've done too!
I've got my Roots of Asia on the way and just waiting to find the thoth I like.
I should be free of spending after that! (?)
I'm currently bidding on a total of 10 decks though....2 in the post already (not counting Roots of Asia) :(
I'm trying see it as a last binge before Thoth rehab!

PathWalker

I read this thread on and off, but haven't posted. I have quite a lot of decks, and I'm not really downsizing, although I'd stopped buying at the end of last year due to change of circumstances. So I was feeling quietly smug without 'coming out' in public!

Now I've had a complete lapse, so time to confess and try and get back on the wagon.

I do look at vintage and less common decks on ebay - I tell myself it's a good learning resource - and I succumbed to a wonderful copy of the vintage Hero's Journey tarot, at a snip of a price. Oops.

Just the one deck, I said to myself, that's not bad in 6+ months.

But it went downhill from there! Firstly my daughter told me she was going to sell the Bohemian Gothic Silver I bought her for her 16th birthday - 8 years ago now. I thought she'd always treasure it because it's beautiful, even if she wasn't reading with it currently. But nope, she'd rather have the money :( So I bought it from her, rather than let it go completely. I did pay her a very fair price and I get to keep the book which was already on my bookcase.
Then I had cause to gift 5 decks to someone, and really felt I would like to get 2 of them again (long story but it made sense honestly) so 2 more arrive. And then I decided I would love to compare Hero's Journey with Transformational Tarot - having read a super review that did just that - so that's coming as well.

So now it's FIVE in 6 months, not 1 :(

Lack of funds will put paid to getting any more for quite some time; but I'm obviously not over it....

(I am cataloguing my collection as I pack to move house; at least I'm handling them all and loving them as I tuck them up safely)

EmpyreanKnight

Nope, the posts here do not make me feel guilty. Not at all.

Self-restraint sounds so medieval and BDSM-y. Indulgence is just as effective a balm for the soul as art.