Klimt Tarot - Study Group - Source Paintings

rissa

ANyone have any response to the 7 of Swords card? I'm trying to align it with my understanding of the meaning of the card...

firemaiden

HI rissa, what kind of response were you looking for? Why don't you give us your response? I think the Waterserpents II painting - is an interesting choice for the 7 of swords, don't you?

rissa

firemaiden said:
HI rissa, what kind of response were you looking for? Why don't you give us your response? I think the Waterserpents II painting - is an interesting choice for the 7 of swords, don't you?
I do to...It gives me a sense of things "below the surface"...
but now that I know the name, tou think of a definite "2-faced" aspact...those women could be gossiping?

Also, I'd have liked to see those faces kept in the background from HopeII in the World card. I wonder why the deck artist chose to leave them out?

marybham

Klimt Tarot - original paintings

Hi, I was fascinated to read this thread as I noticed that there is a programme on TV here in England this week about how some of Klimt's original paintings were stolen during the war from their Jewish owners.

Apparently the programme (probably on BBC although I'm not sure) covered the awful story of how hard the original owners had to work and how many decades it took for them to fight their claim to recover their stolen treasures.

Eventually the courts ruled in their favour and one of these masterpieces was sold for something like £75million (yes, pounds).

How awful to think that someone owned such works of art and they were just taken away. Then to fight for so long to prove ownership and get them back.

The Klimt deck is so beautiful and has really revitalised my interest in his art.

Great thread.

Mary

firemaiden

rissa said:
I do to...It gives me a sense of things "below the surface"...
but now that I know the name, tou think of a definite "2-faced" aspact...those women could be gossiping?

Also, I'd have liked to see those faces kept in the background from HopeII in the World card. I wonder why the deck artist chose to leave them out?

That's very interesting. Things below the surface, I like it, and snakes are a wonderful way of expression the slithering away undetected aspect we see in the RWS card. I also like the sensuality of women as serpents. There is perhaps an aspect of forbidden love.

Marybham, thank you for telling us about the program on the stolen Klimt paintings. I would be fascinated to see that. Do you remember which ones they were?

clbzkl

I too have recently been ensnared by the intoxicating effects of the Klimt deck. Some of the symbolism is forcing me to rearrange my initial responses to the tarot though. I am having great difficulty surpassing the typical meanings with the RW based tarot and this one. Although, I am not saying that I am not capable of doing so. I was just wondering if anyone had difficulty re-conforming or better to say, abandoning the traditional meanings associated with tarot and pick up the images in this deck?
For example:
The fool in this deck is full of beguilement and fear. Apprehension is so thick you begin to become overwhelmed.
The four of cups seems prudent instead of contemplative.
Both the Empress and Emperor seem to only hold their realm (i.e. Femininity and Masculinity) outside of themselves as opposed to most deck where the archetype actually embody their roles, rather than appear to control the ethereal forces surrounding their power(i.e. the figure holding the fe/male statue in their hand)
Any feedback?

letty

individual card study?

Hi! would anybody be willing to take part in an individual card study? I just got this deck and would love to go through the cards one-by-one. The fool would be a great place to start, as it differs greatly from most depictions I have seen, but I have some ideas about it :) Would anyone join me in a conversation about the Fool card if I started a new thread?

Kimberlee

I noticed that some of the links that FireMaiden posted were not working for me, so I decided to search for some of Klimt's paintings, and found this website:

http://www.expo-klimt.com/1.cfm

It has a searchable database of all of Klimt's paintings, so that if one of the other image links aren't working, you can find the image there.

I am using the Klimt as part of my PDR studies, and am interested in studying these cards (along with the accompanying artwork) in greater detail. I am not an "art" student, so bear with me! I'd love to hear if anyone else has interest in studying along.

I'll start posting to the individual card threads very shortly, so stay tuned. ;)

~Kimberlee

Minotauro

I noticed that some of the links that FireMaiden posted were not working for me, so I decided to search for some of Klimt's paintings, and found this website:

http://www.expo-klimt.com/1.cfm

It has a searchable database of all of Klimt's paintings, so that if one of the other image links aren't working, you can find the image there.

I am using the Klimt as part of my PDR studies, and am interested in studying these cards (along with the accompanying artwork) in greater detail. I am not an "art" student, so bear with me! I'd love to hear if anyone else has interest in studying along.

I'll start posting to the individual card threads very shortly, so stay tuned. ;)

~Kimberlee

and now that link isnt working either lol XD

I've made a couple study threads for this deck , I think either wikipedia commons image , or a link to the google search of the painting itself are the best ways to go to prevent broken links :)