Empress + Five of Wands: "Feelings"?

omnislashed

I'm having serious difficulty getting a handle on how the Empress's symbolism could eclipse over the Five of Wands, or vice-versa. I view the Empress as the embodiment of unconditional love, and the Five of Wands as erratic, often unnecessary conflict. Appreciation versus jockeying for power.

Can anybody offer their perspective on what this pairing could mean for somebody's "feelings"? Particularly if it's becoming a recurring theme?

rwcarter

First thing I can think of is someone who is fighting with themselves not to (s)mother someone else.

tarotcardrose

I agree, to a point. I think it is definitely someone dealing with an inner struggle. That they fight being emotional. That could be because of the way they were raised, etc.

omnislashed

Hmm. I didn't even think of that. All I could generate was power struggles relating to a female influence, but your explanations seem especially insightful for communication (and personal conflict) spreads. Adding this to my notes!

Thirteen

Sibling rivalry?

omnislashed said:
I'm having serious difficulty getting a handle on how the Empress's symbolism could eclipse over the Five of Wands, or vice-versa. I view the Empress as the embodiment of unconditional love, and the Five of Wands as erratic, often unnecessary conflict. Appreciation versus jockeying for power.
Rodney's got a great point. Alternatively, that jockeying for "power" could be jockeying for attention and love. A mother's love may be equal and unconditional, but ask two siblings and they often don't see it that way. Even adult children sometimes act like when they were little. With the elder jealous that the younger is stealing away mommy's attention, and the younger always angry that the elder gets to do special things with mommy that they do not because they're "too young."

This also applies as well to many spouses when a new baby arrives. They know intellectually that the baby needs all the attention, but that doesn't stop them from feeling like they're in competition for it.

Sade

Seems very sexual to me

daphne

omnislashed said:

Can anybody offer their perspective on what this pairing could mean for somebody's "feelings"? Particularly if it's becoming a recurring theme?

Is it a person wishing - regretting not having kids?

tarotlyn

...struggling to be a good mom? ...or to become a mom? (p.g.)

:heart:Lyn

ana luisa

I like to see the 5 of Wands, when not related to many people, as "conflicting thoughts". Maybe this person is not quite sure whether being a mom or mothering someone would be the right choice. Also, I ocasionally read the empress as a card of loss. Because it is wonderful to bear a child (most empresses are pregnant) but with it, comes losing your previous body shape, your previous life, etc. Giving it all up may be something this person is still unsure about...

pasara

omnislashed said:
Some good thoughts here. Another idea is that the person is trying to gain attention, stand out to another through mothering type behavior/treatment or through flirtation and sensual/sexual overtures. Could also be a rivalry in this department.