78 Weeks: Eight Cups

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

cartarum

eight of cups

this card indicates walking away. leaving something you have for something which has no real guarantees.
reversed, its continuing to the end with what you have

ihcoyc

For me, eights mean putting the mind to work upon the business of the suit; invention, finding practical applications, making use of the matter at hand. The eights, like the fives and threes, are cards that involve judgment and decision; some things must be retained and others rejected.

Unlike the fives and the threes, there is less a suggestion of rejection. There is, instead, a construction task: things must be planed and shaped to useful forms.

This leads to some conflict with the affairs of the heart. The RWS image shows a figure leaving his cups behind and walking towards the mountains beneath the gaze of an indifferent moon. This is a bit harsh. Retreat into contemplation is in fact one way to bring the focus of the mind into the realm of the heart. It doesn't have to be a renunciation of dreams and desires, though. It's more a rechanneling of the emotional energy into more constructive realms: recovery from addictions, getting over a broken heart, finding something better to invest yourself in.

CreativeFire

8 of Cups

Getting in early this week for my post on 8 of Cups as expecting friends for the weekend :)

Again I am using the Universal Waite for study and inspiration. This card shows 8 neatly stacked cups in the foreground with a man turning his back and walking upwards and away into the distance.

Upon meditating on this card the first thing that caught my focus was the way that the cups are stacked, obviously with care and attention - almost like 'tidying' up during a spring clean or when you are looking for something in particular. As you search through you sort and stack as you go - taking stock even.

But the main thing with the cups is that once they are stacked it is then plain to me that there is at least one missing. Which then leads on to the 9th cup and personal satisfaction and fulfillment and then even on to the 10th. Identifying that there is something missing or that something is over is just the first part of the process. Taking the first steps away to search or let go are often the hardest part requiring thought, strength and determination to look elsewhere emotionally - externally and internally.

This card can relate to so many of life's situations like leaving a relationship, a job, a home, a place, friends, an interest, a belief etc - all things that affect us at a personal and emotional level.

My version of this card shows a woman just taking those first steps away from the still full cups. She is looking down, concentrating on the path ahead and holding a rose - yellow representing thought. In the sky is a waning moon representing the ending of a cycle. This is actually one of my favourite 'cups' cards in my deck so far, probably also as it is a card that I have felt very connected to during different times in my life so far. :)

CreativeFire

Attachments

• cups8.jpg
    cups8.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 143

Major Tom

Re: 8 of Cups

CreativeFire said:
This is actually one of my favourite 'cups' cards in my deck so far

I can see why it's your favorite. It's a very nice card. I think it's the best of all of your cards that I have seen. :)

I'm still using six different versions of the Tarot of Marseilles for my study. ;)

My RWS upbringing taught me that one of the keywords for the 8 of Cups is departures, but I have a horrible time finding depatures in a card depicting so much growth!

There is a central flower on the card from which all growth originates. There's four flowers and four leaves and even suggestions of the growth for a further eight!

My numerology book tells me the keywords for eight are material success and efficiency. When I put these together with the keywords for cups of emotions and spirituality, I get ideas about learning how to use emotions to live successfully rather than let emotions destroy. Maybe there's a departure in there after all. ;)

I attach my version of this card:

Attachments

• eight of cups.jpg
    eight of cups.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 146

earthlady

Quitting

Utne Reader once did a whole suite of articles about quitting. At the time, I felt the whole thing was irresponsible and cancelled my subscription. I was at a place in my life where I had to grow up, knuckle down, pay my bills and get my life in order. Quitting made no sense to me.

However, having now done that, I see the great opportunity found in quitting. Freedom from shackes to explore new things, being open to the universe, able to accept our own spirituality.

I think 8 of cups is about that--the wonder and the adventure of walking away. However, we are only able to see it if we can accept it--something we are not always ready to do.

lunakasha

Re: Re: 8 of Cups

Major Tom said:
My RWS upbringing taught me that one of the keywords for the 8 of Cups is departures, but I have a horrible time finding depatures in a card depicting so much growth!

There is a central flower on the card from which all growth originates. There's four flowers and four leaves and even suggestions of the growth for a further eight!

My numerology book tells me the keywords for eight are material success and efficiency. When I put these together with the keywords for cups of emotions and spirituality, I get ideas about learning how to use emotions to live successfully rather than let emotions destroy. Maybe there's a departure in there after all. ;)

Thanks, Major Tom, for providing an alternative perspective to this card....I agree that the RWS version of this card is more negative and it is interesting to hear your take on the Marseilles 8 of Cups. Your post has definitely made me look at this card differently.

:) Luna

Pebbles

ihcoyc said:
The RWS image shows a figure leaving his cups behind and walking towards the mountains beneath the gaze of an indifferent moon.

In the "Daughters of the Moon" deck, a woman is walking twards her cups but they are inside of a cave. She has been disspointed in life but she is embracing her inner journey. She is carrying a torch. I see this as the light on her path. This withdrawal is for the best & will help to cause positive change.

CreativeFire

Major Tom said:
I can see why it's your favorite. It's a very nice card. I think it's the best of all of your cards that I have seen. :)

Thanks, Major Tom! :)

As always I am interested in reading your thoughts on your Marseilles version of the cards and the different perspective it often shows. I have been thinking about your comment above in regards to departures and growth - and it actually makes a lot of sense to me that even though some departures maybe difficult to make, it could certainly be looked at as growth in a new direction from a personal and emotional perspective as well. ;)

CF

Lurea

Ah, but many times growth is rather painful, right? (At least for me. I seem to be the thickheaded type! :D )

My Enchanted card shows a woman weeping heart-shaped tears into a river through which silvery fish swim. The book states the card is about an emotional turning point--realizing that you have put more into something than you have gotten from it, and that it's now time to withdraw and reflect. The fish could symbolize the deep emotions that drive this change, but emphasize that it is a change in a new, better direction.