78 Weeks: Two Deniers/Coins

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Two of Pentacles

Once again catching up on posting my notes and thoughts on the 2 of Pentacles week study. :)

Using my Universal Waite and a couple of other decks for this study. Whilst looking at this card one of the first things that struck me was the 'movement' in the card. From the pentacles themselves, to the man jigging on one foot, even to the waves of the ocean and the ships rolling on the waves.

I always think of the man in the card 'juggling' the coins / pentacles, which of course could mean juggling finances but I think it goes beyond that. Juggling and balancing material things in your life like work, home, finances, study etc. Also 'juggling' itself is not as easy as it looks (having tried to do it with a couple of tennis balls once :laugh: ) and it makes me realise that there is a challenge, concentration and a skill in keeping material things in your life in balance - without dropping one of your 'balls', so to speak.

Also with the infinity symbol around the two pentacles, makes me think of the infinite possibilities on how you can balance these things and that there is always an ongoing challenge and movement as new things come into your life. Nothing stays the same and things have to be moved around to accommodate external and internal changes - being flexible and handling the things life throws at you while still keeping everything else in some sort of balance.

Looking now at the ocean and the two ships in the background and my thoughts on this were about handling the ups and downs and riding with the roll of the ocean. It would be very calm and serene if you were sailing on a flat sea but sailing on large undulating waves is a different story.

Last thoughts here are on the man himself in the card. He looks as if he is dancing whilst juggling which made me think that he is enjoying this - having fun even. And when I think about it if you look at it the right way, the challenge of juggling and balancing things in your life can be fun and exilerating. It would be quite boring if everything stayed the same all the time and was 'easy'. Having fun and being flexible to try new things is part of what life is about (for me anyway ;) ). However whilst doing this, remembering that it is all about balance - not getting to caught up in work for example, and not spending time with your family or the things that you enjoy. Or even spending too much time enjoying yourself and not attending to necessary things like work or study.

I look forward to reading others thoughts on this card and encourage anyone to post - even if you haven't been doing the others cards in the 78 week study - it doesn't matter where you jump in. :)

CreativeFire

gregory

Two of Pentacles - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
Sort of spider’s web like – with juggling and meditation. Strange !

From the book
Upright

She balances all her tasks and jobs in the perfect juggle.
Here the Two of Pentacles signifies the ability to balance or juggle the many aspects of your life. Work, play, family, and leisure all seem to move seamlessly and in perfect unison with your daily routine. You may even be balancing two or more jobs and still manage to have fun on the weekends. Much like juggling though, this card has its ups and downs, and warns of not pushing yourself too far in the endless juggle that is your life.
In situations, this card highlights the dual natures or dichotomies that have to be dealt with in any given situation. Like two sides of a coin, this card implies that both sides or parties need to be acknowledged, addressed, and managed. In life and financial situations, you may find yourself going up in the world one week, while sliding down in another.

Reversed
She has lost control of her tasks and jobs. She desperately tries to keep them up in the air.
Here the juggler has taken on too much and loses the rhythm. Too many responsibilities and tasks are in motion at once, and you may fail to keep them all up in the air. Even if you succeed, this card warns that it would be at a cost to yourself. You may feel tension and stress from attempting to manage your affairs and begin to take it out on those around you.
In situations, the multitude of tasks and deadlines may wear you down. The instability of the juggled objects may also manifest in terms of extreme differences in your weekly income, ranging from poverty to luxury. In relationships, you find it difficult to meet the needs of your loved ones versus the responsibilities you have at work. There never seems to be enough time, and neglect will soon take its toll.

Images and Symbolism
A string that forms the infinity sign entwines the pentacles. This symbolizes the same magic that can be found in the mastery of the Magician and the inner power of Strength.
Following the theme of balance, the woman seems to hardly touch the balls she juggles. These balls symbolize the many tasks and responsibilities we may find in daily life.
The woman on the reverse is stressed and disturbed by her lack of balance. She has lost control of her balls and one by one they cause her more grief.
Color: gold and greens, colors of the earth and of Capricorn.

Traditional meanings
Upright:

Cycles of change, natural fluctuations in fortune. Income and expenditure. Imminent changes connected with practical affairs.
Reversed:
Neglect of daily concerns, recklessness, gambling.

My impressions:
Upright
A skeletal juggler – a woman ? with very long flowing hair sits cross legged in front of a huge coin; there are 6 golden balls being expertly kept in the air. Behind, a complex web looking rather like stained glass – all in greens and folds.

Reversed
The juggler – apparently female – has lost it. The balls are falling all over the place; her legs are uncrossed and she is losing her balance, and the expression on her face is one of desperation. There are shadows all over the background in this aspect.

My take
In the upright image, everything works. The juggler is maintaining her wealth, and all the other things in her life, expertly and with little fuss – but with concentration. Maybe hard work and dedication lead to being able to have it all. In the reverse – taking your eye off the ball, figuratively, leads to everything crashing down around you. You can’t do everything without planning and support. This looks like the conflict so many women suffer with trying to manage a job and a home life. It’s not easy – and takes all your concentration. Lose that and you lose it all.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Card name: Two of Disks

First impressions

It looks like the classic yin/yang glyph in and of itself; a figure 8 made up of a crowned snake – and within each loop is a yin/yang glyph – the top one is gold and grey; the lower, gold and magenta. These two serve as the two pentacles of the card. The background reiterates the pattern in blues and purples. The card include the glyphs for Jupiter and Capricorn

From the Book of Thoth

THE FOUR TWOS

These cards refer to Chokmah. From the point of view of the ordinary person, Chokmah is really No. 1 and not No. 2, because he is the first manifestation; Kether is completely concealed, so that nobody knows anything about it at all. Hence, only on reaching the Deuces does an element appear as the element itself. Chokmah is uncontaminated by any influence; therefore the elements here appear in their original harmonious condition.

The Two of Pentacles was of old time called the Lord of Harmonious Change. Now, more simply, Change; and here the doctrine must be stated a little more clearly. This suit being of Earth, there is a connection with the Princesses, and therefore with the final Heh of Tetragrammaton. Earth is the throne of Spirit; having got to the bottom, one immediately comes out again at the top. Hence, the card manifests the symbolism of the serpent of the endless band.

CHANGE: TWO OF DISKS

The number Two, Chokmah, here rules in the suit pertaining to Earth. It shows the type of Energy appropriate to Two, in its most fixed form. According to the doctrine that Change is the support of stability, the card is called Change.
Its celestial rulers are Jupiter and Capricornus; and these symbols are most inharmonious, so that in practical matters the good fortune of Jupiter is very limited. Their influence on the card is not great. Yet, Jupiter being himself the Wheel (Atu X), he emphasizes that idea.

The card represents two Pantacles, one above the other; they are the Chinese symbols of the Yang and Yin duplicated as in the Hsiang. One wheel is dextro- and the other laevo-rotatory. They thus represent the harmonious interplay of the Four Elements in constant movement. One may in fact consider the card as the picture of the complete manifested Universe, in respect of its dynamics.

About them is entwined a green Serpent (see Liber 65, chapter iii, verses 17-20). His tail is in his mouth. He forms the figure Eight, the symbol of the Infinite, the equation 0=2.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Two of Disks = Change. Chokmah in the element of Earth. Jupiter in Capricornus.
The card represents the two pentacles, one above the other, and are the Chinese symbols Yang and Yin. About them is a green Serpent; he forms the figure 8. This card symbolises the doctrine: Change is the support of stability

Also:
Two of Disks = Change. Jupiter in Capricornus. Chokmah.
Here are two pentacles, the Chinese Yang and Yin. The crowned serpent surrounds them as they revolve. The card suggests that the universe is sustained in space by its rotating action.

DuQuette points out that the yin yang symbols rotate in opposite directions – the top one to the left, and containing the symbols of fire and water; the bottom one to the right and containing the symbols of air and earth. He says that Harris told Crowley that she had paid particular attention to the colours on this card, and had questioned whether the snake’s eye should be red.
Snuffin says that the serpent signifies wisdom – the meaning of Chokmah, and the yellow crown is the colour of Mercury in Atziluth.
The serpent is covered with octagons – 8 is the number of Mercury – which is associated with Chokmah as the Logos, and the Logos of the Aeon of Horus is Thelema.
Banzhaf likens the snake to the caduceus, and points out that it is biting its own tail as it forms the infinity symbol with its body – it is therefore an ouroboros, connecting life and death, and symbolising death and rebirth.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Change. Harmony of change. Alternation of gain and loss, weakness and strength, elation and melancholy. Varying occupation. Wandering. Visit to friends. Pleasant change. Indus¬trious yet unreliable person.

DuQuette
Pleasant change; visit to friends.
The harmony of change, alternation of gain and loss; weakness and strength; everchanging occupation; wandering; discontented with any fixed condition of things; now elated, then melancholy; industrious, yet unreliable; fortunate through prudence of management, yet sometimes unaccountably foolish; alternatively talkative and suspicious. Kind, yet wavering and inconsistent. Fortunate in journeying. Argumentative.

This sounds almost like a classic bi-polar card !

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
TWOS
The twos are related to the High Priestess. As such they indicate duality, a pause between two choices or an attempt do two thing at once. Most importantly, they indicate instinctual knowledge. Aces are undirected energy; the twos are that point where you find out more about the energy so that you can know which direction to go with it.
Two of Pentacles
Standing before the waves of an ocean, a fellow deftly juggles two pentacles. The meaning is pretty straightforward. This is the juggling finances, jobs, responsibilities card. We pay one bill, and don't pay the other (which is up in the air). When it comes down and we can't put it of any longer, we pay that and let the other one be up in the air.
The querent may be doing this because they want to or may need to do this. They may feel they've worked so hard on both that they haven't the heart to put either one aside. And so they switch off put "work" or money into one thing while neglecting the other, keeping both alive, but allowing neither to thrive.
Yet this juggling may be a good idea. Having two jobs or projects also allows there to be a fail-safe, something to fall back on if the other goes wrong.
As with the swords, there's no keeping this up forever, but it may suffice while you're waiting for your luck to change or circumstances to help make the decision for you.

(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
It seems very balanced, in a way. Constant reiteration of one single symbol – the 8/infinity. Given DuQuette’s stated meaning, it now seems also more about one “side” versus another. It also brings to mind that placement of mirrors, where you can see constantly recurring images over and over again. I notice now (for the first time as I type !) that the upper loop has a white background and the lower a dark one. Another examples of the extremes contained within this card.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
I would see it as dilemmas; extremes within the querent which need some kind of resolution. Possibly even actually the presence of some kind of bipolarity, literal or figurative. I would caution against taking any extreme position in any direction.

jackdaw*

Two of Pentacles (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
When looking at this card, the eye is first drawn to those two big pentacles the guy is holding. One in one hand, up a little, one in the other, down a little. A green lemniscate runs to surround both of them. There's a lemniscate in the cool-looking Thoth Two of Disks, and a scroll that resembles one in the Tarot de Marseille's Deux de Deniers. So it must be important, to be such a prevalent theme. I don't think Crowley and Harris, for example, were too famous for putting things in their deck just because it had been there before.

The pentacles in the Rider Waite version are big, the size of dinner plates. The man can't cup them like the hand in the Ace; rather he grips them from behind at the bottom. He wears red and reddish orange, including a short belted tunic like a workman but with fancy scallops up and down the front where the buttons fasten, full blousy sleeves and tights, short boots (green in some decks) and a hat. The hat is curious, tall yet rounded on the top like some kind of a topical applicator! He looks down slightly to one side, the better to view one of the two pentacles he holds, and from the position of his feet it’s not hard to imagine that he’s dancing. He stands on a flat gray surface, clearly delineated between it and the background imagery. Another stage card; this time he literally does look like he’s performing some kind of trick on a stage. In the background are rolling blue and green ocean waves, literally rolling in big cartoon-like rounded humps like the track of a roller coaster. Two ships ride these waves. They do look topsy-turvy, but not storm-tossed or in any sort of danger.

Some versions of this card seem to be playful, showing the joy or even glee in this figure. I don’t see that here. A simple pleasure in his skill, perhaps he’d been practicing and has finally got it down pat. For pure playfulness I’d look more toward the World Spirit Tarot. But this guy is playing, for all that. At least a little. I always tended to view this card as “fiddling while Rome burns”; as Pentacles are such a material suit, I look at it as juggling finances or resources. Living blithely in denial of the true situation. Robbing Peter to pay Paul, and still acting as though you haven’t a care in the world.

Creator’s Notes
Waite said in The Pictorial Key to the Tarot:
Waite said:
A young man, in the act of dancing, has a pentacle in either hand, and they are joined by that endless cord which is like the number 8 reversed.
It’s funny how Waite addresses the Minor Arcana. Like he just can’t be bothered to go into any sort of symbolism at all, but it’s also as if he seeks to dumb it down. No mention of a lemniscate, rather the number 8.

Others’ Interpretations
According to Waite:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: On the one hand it is represented as a card of gaiety, recreation and its connexions, which is the subject of the design; but it is read also as news and messages in writing, as obstacles, agitation, trouble, embroilment. Reversed: Enforced gaiety, simulated enjoyment, literal sense, handwriting, composition, letters of exchange.

Symbols and Attributes
I always blank on the astrological attributes for the Minor Arcana. But Paul Hughes-Barlow puts this card in the first decan of Capricorn, falling between December 22 and 30. Beginning just after Yule, depending how/when you celebrate it. Maybe this accounts somewhat for the seeming frivolity of the dancer. Or, from a very prosaic standpoint, the panic of juggling time and finances over the Christmas season! Also ties nicely to the materialistic aspects of the Devil, who is also linked to Capricorn.

Elementally the Two of Pentacles is a card of Earth: practical, down to earth, concerned with material things. Numerologically Two is a number of balance, of duality. Up and down. Feast or famine. I see this as reflected in the way the man balances the two pentacles unevenly. They are oversized to be holding one-handed like that, a little unwieldy I think. No wonder he is struggling to hold them on an even keel. Clearly this is a man whose earthly concerns are just a little more than he can comfortably handle at this moment. The green lemniscate that connects the two is such that there is now no way the man can put down one half of his burden. They’re connected, cyclical, never-ending. The only way to lighten his load is to drop the whole thing. But he can’t do that; the only alternative is to keep trying to hold them up, keep them as balanced as he can. Sandra A. Thomson, in Pictures from the Heart: A Tarot Dictionary, says that the lemniscate in this card represents “the paradox of maintaining the fluid flow of stability.” And I get that. The juggling of priorities, re-allocating and balancing of demands, to maintain equilibrium.

The man himself is dressed, curiously enough, in shades of red and orange. These colours are linked to energy. It suggests great energy that is being expended in keeping things on an even keel. Note especially that big red hat. To me that suggests a lot of mental energy, perhaps too much. It’s possible his brain is in overdrive, trying to figure out how to keep one step ahead. His shoes are green, the only non-energy colour on his person. The colour of the lemniscate around the pentacles, but more importantly the colour of the element of Earth. Even though he’s dancing, this man is still rooted in the earth, and so are his cares and concerns.

I think this is one of the most obvious stage cards Pamela Colman Smith had designed. There is such a clear delineation between the juggling dancer and the maritime scene behind him. It really illustrates that these waves, these ships, are figurative; metaphorical illustrations of his emotional state. Because they’re tied to the element of Water, the waves show the emotional turmoil the man is going through. It‘s also echoed by his scalloped tunic front. As in any storm at sea, a loss of control may always be imminent. The ships themselves, tossed about on the waves, show how the man’s whole material world can be upheaved. As ships traditionally came from far away bringing trade goods and commerce from around the world, it is an excellent representation of the man‘s worries of what will happen.

My Interpretation
The more I look at this card, the less playful it seems. There’s an air of desperation about the man, labouring to keep the two awkward pentacles up and balanced, all the while dancing to the tune of the world and worrying constantly. It does seem to me the ultimate card of material worries for the modern world. The scrambling to pay bills and keep food on the table and gas in the car, living paycheck to paycheck. Borrowing and repaying, living on credit, getting a loan to repay an existing loan … it’s a vicious cycle and seems endless. It happens to the best of us, and sometimes you just feel like laying down the load.

gregory

I like that - an air of desperation. Where did I read that most of us lead a life of quiet desperation - and it's so true. I never see this card as all lovely. But you've put it so much better !

jackdaw*

Thanks. Although I must confess I was a little surprised to find such a negative slant on it as I got into the symbolism.