78 Weeks: Ace of Deniers/Coins

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

Fulgour

Ace is an interesting word, etymologically deriving from
the Latin As: defined as bronze coin of the ancient
Roman republic, varying in weight from 1 to 1.5 ounces.

Reading further one will discover that As was also an
ancient Persian card game similar to poker, and thought
by some to actually be the progenitor of modern poker.

"Libra" is also one of the references for As, but here as
an ancient Roman unit of weight equal to 327.45 grams,
or 0.7721 pound avoirdupois. (This last I add for interest.)

CreativeFire

Ace of Coins / Pentacles / Earth

With the end of year rush and festivities I have fallen quite behind in posting my notes on the card a week, 78 week study, even though I have still been working on these, so here I am catching up yet again ;)

Ace of Pentacles

A new start, beginnings, possibilities, new opportunities in the material sense being offered or becoming available to be utilised. Looking at the Ace of Pentacles in the Universal Waite card, the 'enclosed' garden gave a sense of protection and security in a fertile environment. But also room for growth, expansion and moving beyond the garden through the archway. The oval archway also reminded me of the wreath in The World card. Thinking about the oval archway in the Ace of Pentacles I could also sort of see a connection to 'birth' of something formed or fertilised in the womb of the garden and when ready moving forth to the outside world.

I also looked a few other deck Ace of Pentacles and one that struck me as a very realistic representation in a way was The Ace of Earth (Seed) from Waking the Wild Spirit Tarot. On this card it shows a seed just starting to germinate and sprout its first growth outwards into the world. When thinking further about the 'seed' concept and the Ace, a seed is being offered or planted which has potential to grow into something more, however this seed must be tended, watered and protected in its young seedling stage to grow strong and reach maturity. Just planting a seed and walking away may not be enough, just like seeing or receiving an opportunity is just the beginning, and this must be nurtured and 'grounded' in the earth / reality to grow and flourish.

CreativeFire

Attached are:
Ace of Earth from Waking the Wild Spirit; and my version of the Ace of Pentacles.

Attachments

• aceearth.jpg
    aceearth.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 156
  • acepents.jpg
    acepents.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 161

gregory

Ace of Pentacles - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
Money, gold. Lots of it !

From the book
Upright

This ace represents prosperity and abundance in all things physical and material.
When the Ace of Pentacles is drawn, the world surrounding you is filled with wealth and financial stability. There will be an increase in financial wealth, more comfortable surroundings, and a better quality of life to be enjoyed. You may also be lucky in terms of the lottery or in gambling. Gifts may find their way into your lap along with rewards.
In work situations, profits will arise from effort, colleagues will all endeavor to push the limits to achieve goals, and production will enter a phase of rapid growth. In relationships, there is a grounded sense of stability supported by the physical comfort of each other's presence.

Reversed
Material obsessions and money vanish before you as a darkness casts a shadow over wealth and well-being.
Here your wealth may find itself disappearing. Greed may see that you lose more money than you gain. Money may also be wasted and spent on disposable things and whimsical fancies. Wealth and financial stability will escape you as well as your pockets.
Projects will suffer financial blows. Support and backing in both physical and financial aspects will seem to slip out from under you. Relationships may feel cold and lonesome as physical intimacy has lost its place in your bedroom.

Images and Symbolism
The pentacles fan out in the pentagram format to reinforce the pattern of the design. The intricacy of the design is derived from Islamic and Celtic motifs, deeply rooting the infused design in a history of its own.
Color: golds, greens, earth tones; associated with the element of earth.

Traditional meanings
Upright:

Wealth, security, stability, sensation. The good things of life. Approach to the spirit through the things of earth.

Reversed:
Resources tied up. Miserliness, greed.

My impressions:
Upright
A gold coin with a pentacle design, in front of many more. They graduate down towards shadowed coins at the base.
Reversed
The coins appear to be coming out from darkness….
My take
Given the only differences are light and shadow, these seem more than usual to be opposite sides of the coin. The upright image has the coins originating in a place of light – positive wealth; the reverse has them coming from darkness – either wealth obtained through fraud and theft, or a loss of money. The economy of design in getting these opposites across is very impressive !

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Ace of Disks

First impressions

8 green and gold angels’ wings – four pairs - surrounding a circle bearing the words To Mega Therion (which is to say: to the great beast”. They are doled around two brownish ovals, one vertical and one horizontal (best way I can describe them !) Inside that is a pair of pentagrams, aligned to gives a total of ten points, inside which is the Mark of the Beast - the phallus and testicles inside the seven pointed star of Babalon.
The background looks like more wings, in green and gold.

From the Book of Thoth

THE FOUR ACES

The Aces represent the roots of the four elements. They are quite above, and distinct from, the other small cards in the same way as Kether is said to be symbolized only by the topmost point of the Yod of Tetragrammaton. In these cards is no real manifestation of the element in its material form. They form a link between the small cards and the Princesses, who rule the Heavens around the North Pole. The Meridian is the Great Pyramid, and the Elements rule, going Eastward, in the order of Tetragrammaton, Fire, Water, Air, Earth. Thus, roughly, Aces-Princesses Wands cover Asia, Cups the Pacific Ocean, Swords the Americas, Disks Europe and Africa. To make this relationship clear, one may go a little into the symbol of the pentagram, or Shield of David. It represents Spirit ruling the four elements, and is thus a symbol of the Triumph of Man.

The idea of the element of Spirit is very difficult to grasp. The letter Shin, which is the letter of Fire, has to do double duty by representing Spirit as well. Generally speaking, the attributions of Spirit are not clear and simple like those of the other elements. It is very remarkable that the Tablet of Spirit in the Enochian system is the key to all mischief; as, in the Hindu system, Akasha is the Egg of Darkness.

On the other hand, Spirit represents Kether. Perhaps it was never in the mind of the Exempt Adept or Adepts who invented the Tarot to go so far into this matter. The point to remember is that, both in their appearance and in their meaning, the Aces are not the elements themselves, but the seeds of those elements.

ACE OF DISKS

The Ace of Disks pictures the entry of that type of Energy which is called Earth. It is here proper to insist a little strongly upon one of the essential theoretical theses which have inflamed the constitution of this present pack of Tarot cards; for this feature is significant, and distinguishes it from the numerous crude efforts of uninitiates to put themselves forward as adepts. The grotesque barber Alliette, the obscurely perverse Wirth, the poseur-fumiste Peladan, down to the verbose ignorance of such Autolycus-quacks as Raffalovitch and Ouspensky; none of these or their kin have done more than “play the sedulous ape” to the conventional Mediaeval designs. (Their luck was out: the Tarot is a razor!)

Eliphaz Levi was a master-scholar, and knew the true attributions; but his grade in the Great White Brotherhood was only 6º~5º (Adeptus Major); and he had no instructed foresight of the New Aeon. He did indeed hope to find a Messiah in Napoleon III; but of the complete spiritual upheaval which accompanies the Proclamation of a new Magical Formula he had no glimpse; no, not though he had Maistre Alcofribas Nasier to guide him!

[See The Grands Annales ou croniques Tresveritables des filz. Roy des Dipsodes. 1542. Book I, Chapter LVIII, where is given not only a remarkable description of the social conditions of the twentieth century e.v., but even, in the last line of the Prophetic Riddle, a clear indication of the Magical Motto of the Adept chosen by the Masters to announce this Formula-this Word, openly given in the name of the Abbey itself. But, as so often is the case, it was too simple and straightforward to be seen!]

Dr. Gerard Encausse, “Papus”, who followed Eliphaz Levi, felt himself even more closely bound by his Oath of Secrecy, so that his dealings with the Tarot are worthless; and that although he was Grand Master of the O.T.O. in France, and Grand Hierophant 97º of the Rite of Memphis on the death of John Yarker.

These historical data are necessary to explain why all previous packs are of little more than archaeological interest; for the New Aeon demanded a new system of symbolism. Thus, in particular, the old conception of the Earth as a passive, immobile, even dead, even “evil” element, had to go. It was imperative to restore the King-Scale colour attribution to that of the Aeon of Isis, Emerald Green, as was understood by the Egyptian Hierophants. This green is, however, not the original vegetable green of Isis, but the new green of spring following the resurrection of Osiris as Horus. Nor are the Disks any more to be considered as Coins; the Disk is a whirling emblem. Naturally so; since it is now know that every Star, every true Planet, is a whirling sphere. The Atom, again, is no more the hard, intractable, dead Particle of Dalton, but a system of whirling forces, comparable to the Solar hierarchy itself.

This thesis dovetails perfectly with the new Doctrine of Tetragrammaton, where the Earthy component, He’ final, the Daughter, is set upon the Throne of the Mother, to awaken the Eld of the All- Father. The NAME itself, accordingly, is no longer a fixed symbol, emblem of extension and limit, but a continuously revolving sphere; in the words of Zoroaster, “rebounding, whirling forth, crying aloud”.

It has been the custom of publishers or designers of packs to set their personal seal upon the Ace of Disks, for grammatical reasons not unconnected with the perhaps arbitrary differentiation in the Latin Language between the pronouns “meum” and “tuum”. Saith not the Bard?
“Steal not this Book for fear of shame!
The Ace of Disks-the Author’s name.
The Ace of Swords-thy corpse shall look
Like Agag’s did, in Samuel’s book.
The Ace of Cups-drink thou no less
Than Brinvilliers the Marchioness!
The Ace of Wands-thy death be reckoned
Like that of good King Edward Second!”
The central symbol of the Ace of Disks is consequently the personal Hieroglyph of “the chosen priest and apostle of infinite space”, “the prince-priest the Beast”. (Liber AL. 1.15.)

This is to be compared with the Sigillum Sanctum of the Order of A..A..

In the centre of all is yet another form of Tetragrammaton, the Phallus, showing Sol and Luna, with the number 666 duly inscribed, as if to equilibrate, to fit into the Vesica, with the seven sevens adding to 156 (BABALON 2 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 30 + 70 + 50=(7 + 7) divided by 7 + 77+ 77=156) as the Magick Square of 6 adds to 666 (1=62= .. ..G. T..... 300 + 70 + 40 + 5 + 3 + I + 9 + 8 + 100 + 10 + 70 + 50=..... 400 + 200 + 10 + 6 + 50). Should one choose to interpret the vertical line above 666 as 1, and add it, the number of the Scarlet Woman, 667, appears. (667 = . ....... G... =8 + 20 + 70 + 20 + 20 + 10 + 50 + 8 + 3 + 400 + 50+ 8.) This cipher is enclosed in a Heptagram, as manifestly needful; and this figure again in interlaced Pentagons whose sides are ex tended, so forming a Wheel of 10 spokes whose boundary is a Decagon; and this again within a circular band, upon which is inscribed in full the name .. ..G. T....., of 12 (6 x 2) letters.

About this whirling Disk are its six Wings; the entire symbol is not only a glyph of Earth as understood in this New Aeon of Horus, but of the number 6, the number of the Sun. This card is thus an affirmation of the identity of Sol and Terra-and that will be best understood by those who have punctually practised Liber Resh for the necessary number of years, preferably in such Hermitages as those of the Sahara Desert, where the Sun and the Earth can soon be instinctively recognized as living Beings, one’s constant companions in a Universe of Pure Joy.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

The Ace of Disks represents the last of the feminine symbols; it is the twin sister, of Air, and its bride. It is not only Earth, but matter as such. Per contra, the Disk is the whirling symbol of Space. The Disk is winged to indicate its spiritual origin.

Also:
The Ace of Disks.
This is primitive earth, both as a whirling planet and a substance. The movement of the planet is suggested by the wings. The Greek inscription is "to the mark of the Beast" and implies the earthy element.

Snuffin says that the wings indicate the blessing of Kether. They shelter and protect the ovals, which signify the union of the lingam and the yoni. The wheel (the circle with the words on it) has ten spokes indicating the fact that this suit is constantly in motion. The two pentagrams having a total of ten points both Snuffin and Crowley refer to as a decagram symbolising Malkuth – the kingdom of Manifestation.
Crowley refers to there being SIX wings as the number of the Sun; I see eight – um….
The Mark of the Beast within the seven pointed star creates a glyph of Babalon and the Beast conjoined – the masculine and feminine archetypes of Thelema in the act of creation. the yellows in the centre are the colour of Tiphareth to emphasise the solar connection – which Crowley says is also emphasised by the SIX wings – as there are in fact eight I have trouble with this ! The Mark of the Beast also includes a white crescent moon.
Banzhadf refers to the card as a system of whirling wings and disks, and the centre as a golden coin, rather than a wheel.
The disks are the suit of Earth, matter, money and gold. This is part of why Banzhaf sees the coin, I imagine. Frieda seems to refer to it as a planet, and refers to it as HAVING wings.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
The Root of the Powers of Earth. Material gain. Power. Labor. Wealth. Contentment. Materiality in all senses. For Crowley, this card was an affirmation of the identity of sun and earth, spirit and flesh.
DuQuette
It represents materiality in all senses, good and evil: and is, therefore, in a sense illusionary: it shows material gain, labour, power, wealth, etc.

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
ACES
Aces are the root force, the spark or seed of the suit. Relate them to the Magician, who presents the tools to the Fool. They have no purpose yet, but are filled with raw potential. They are the active energy of the suit ready to be used. They can also indicate compass direction or season, but which is which is often debated. Here are the most typical directions and seasons. If, however, they don't feel right to you, the reader, change them to what works.
These are the Aces, the raw or initial passion, feelings, thoughts and needs that can be directed into something more. They represent hope, a possibility, an action to take, a future that you can create.
Choose wisely what you take up from the Magician's table for each has its pitfalls as well as pinnacles.
Ace of Pentacles
North/Winter
New luck, health or work for new prosperity. There is no desire to burn, or flow or fly; here is a physical need to be grounded, to make, build and touch. Like a seed in the ground, there is a desire to sprout roots and just become. The pentacle is taken in hand, and, for now, the querent wants only to have it solidly in his pocket.
(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
Extremely busy. Which fits with materialism and the rest. Many many lines – as with feathers – the centre is almost the most peaceful part of the card, for all it is supposed to be whirling. The greens and golds are an in your face departure from the quiet blues of the cups I’ve been working with for so long. The feathers of the wings are almost mesmerising in their complexity. But it seems strange to me to see wings in such – dull, almost – colours.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)Getting where you want to be is best achieved by keeping yourself calm in the centre of too much going on. Stay inside that yellow circle and let the flapping of others pass you by.

jackdaw*

Ace of Pentacles (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
"C'est un cadeau!"
"Huh?"
"It's a present."
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

That's how I tend to view the Ace of Pentacles. Like a present. A mysteriously glowing disembodied giant hand that offers a shiny gold bauble like a gift. The bauble? A gold coin, amulet or medal of some sort, inscribed with a pentacle, a five-pointed star. An interesting thing to note is how the pentacle is held, particularly in comparison with the other three Aces. On the Swords and Wands cards, the suit emblems they offer forth are gripped tightly; on the Cups card it is held on the flattened palm, supported but not restrained. But here on the Ace of Pentacles it is cupped tenderly in the hand - it rests on the palm and the fingers curl up around it to support it securely. Rather than a tool or an implement or a weapon, or an ornament offered freely, I see this pentacle as something that is cherished. A beloved talisman or an heirloom passing with a mixture of pride and reluctance from one hand to the next. They say that the best presents are the ones you want to keep for yourself, that you hate to give up, and that rings true for this card.

Like all the Ace cards in the Rider Waite Tarot, the hand emanates from a cloud in a whitish sky; there is a suggestion of a glow about hand and pentacle. They are huge, dominating the card. Beneath it we see a pastoral scene: tall white Easter lilies grow in a garden, just inside a privet hedge dotted with what have always been assumed to be roses. A sand-coloured path leads through the garden to an arched opening in the hedge, through which blue-white mountains can be seen in the distance; they look like the ones in the background behind the Fool.

It was Waite, I believe, who first turned the harmless and prosaic Coins (Deniers, Dinari) into the occult-sounding Pentacles by inscribing the five-pointed star inside the gold coin. Even Crowley didn’t bother with that, labeling them as ambiguous Discs. Personally I view the Pentacles suit as the most eminently practical and down-to-earth of the lot, and find the concept of Pentacles a little high-flown. Personally I prefer Coins. But Waite didn’t call them that, so here are the Pentacles.

No matter what you call it, I always like to see this card. Maybe it's the fact that I always did identify with the suit of Pentacles; maybe it's that I learned to equate it with good material beginnings, particularly financial (the coin, you see!); maybe it's the look of a lucky charm. But I have generally thought of this card as a very good and even fortunate one to see. See, I tend to view the Aces in Tarot as a kind of a gateway between the Majors and the Minors. A halfway point. Equated numerologically to the Magician, I see the Aces as the tools the Magician has on his table, the tools he needs to get the job done. This is particularly applicable when seen in light of the down-to-earth Bateleur of the Marseille decks, for all that they’re more explicitly shown in the Rider Waite Magician. So the Pentacle symbolizes one facet of the Tarot, and the tools the Magician requires. The earthy, material, practical side of things. And the Ace? Obviously primary, it’s kind of the first and foremost representation of the suit. So the Ace of Pentacles is the best and brightest of the material and physical aspects, the first raw indication of the suit and its element at work. It’s good fortune not in turns of luck, but of actual fortune. As in, money, work, possessions, and things relating to them. Work projects that turn out well, good news for work, for domestic and financial matters.

But it’s also important to view the Aces as the first stage, as the potential for their suit. Because these Aces are the tools of the Magician, they do not do the work themselves. They just provide the means by which he can do it. So they are the means, the potential, to accomplish much. What they become, what they achieve or what we achieve through use of this tool, unfolds through the course of the suit.

Creator’s Notes
Waite says of this card:
Waite said:
A hand--issuing, as usual, from a cloud--holds up a pentacle.
Gee, really? Glad I read this :laugh:

Others’ Interpretations
At least in terms of interpretation Waite is a little more forthcoming:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Perfect contentment, felicity, ecstasy; also speedy intelligence; gold. Reversed: The evil side of wealth, bad intelligence; also great riches. In any case it shews prosperity, comfortable material conditions, but whether these are of advantage to the possessor will depend on whether the card is reversed or not.
I found this a little curious, though, about speedy intelligence. Because (a) I never considered the earthbound Pentacles to be exactly swift or speedy, and (b) being such a practical and material suit I never thought of them as particularly intelligent. Rather I consider that the forte of the airy and intellectual Swords. The Pentacles? Adept, practical, canny perhaps, but not speedily intelligent.

Symbols and Attributes
First, this suit was a suit of Coins. Pretty practical things, used in exchange for material goods or services. They say money can't buy happiness, but it can make an unhappy life a hell of a lot more comfortable. And this suit, I tend to think, is one of comfort. About home, about possessions, about the finer things.

But now it's a suit of Pentacles - what I always perceived to be a Wiccan symbol, a circle circumscribed by a five-pointed star. Its five points represent the five senses, and it apparently has some connection to the planet Venus (planet of the Empress and Earth-based). Now Tarot aside, I don't really know what a pentacle even is, so I turned to trusty wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
A pentacle (or pantacle in Thelema) is an amulet used in magical evocation, generally made of parchment, paper or metal (although it can be of other materials), on which the symbol of a spirit or energy being evoked is drawn. It is often worn around the neck, or placed within the triangle of evocation. Protective symbols may also be included (sometimes on the reverse), a common one being the five-point form of the Seal of Solomon, called a pentacle of Solomon or pentangle of Solomon. Many varieties of pentacle can be found in the grimoires of Solomonic magic; they are also used in some neopagan magical traditions, such as Wicca, alongside other magical tools.
The words pentacle and pentagram (a five-point unicursal star) are essentially synonymous, according to the Online Oxford English Dictionary (2007 revision), which traces the etymology through both French and Italian back to Latin, but notes that in Middle French the word "pentacle" was used to refer to any talisman. In an extended use, many magical authors treat them as distinct. In many tarot decks and in some forms of modern witchcraft, pentacles often prominently incorporate a pentagram in their design.
There is a specific differentiation between pentacle and pentagram within Wicca and other re-constructionist systems. Namely, a pentacle refers to a pentagram circumscribed by a circle. This form of pentacle is formed upon a disk which may be used either upon an altar or as a sacred space of its own. The pentacle is representative of the Earth in occult usage.

Astrologically I do not view the Aces as embracing any particular sign. Rather, like the Pages, they are more after the form of their element. In this case, Earth.

The Pentacle in this card is held protectively, lovingly, by a large hand that glows and emanates out of a cloud in the sky. I take that to mean that it's offered as a gift from the Divine. It is a right hand, as is the hand that holds each suit emblem in the four Aces. Traditionally the right hand is assertive, indicative of masculine and conscious manifestation. And yet, it cups the Pentacle protectively in a surprisingly tender, feminine gesture, fitting for the softly rounded and feminine emblem. More than any other Ace, the hand and Pentacle dominate the card. The physical world, that of Earth which the emblem embodies, and its concerns can dominate, driving all other thoughts out of our heads. There's no room for the spiritual, the intuitive, the intellectual, the energetic, when the practical dominates like this. Now, I don't mean that as a bad thing. Far from it. But this Ace and its particular brand of magic is complete in its own right. I think this is in part what is implied by the absence of flames or yods in this card - the only one of the Aces to lack them. In Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom Rachel Pollack says that this is because the magic of the Ace of Pentacles is earth-based, practical, complete in its own right. Notice how in the other Aces there are hints of other elements - the yods of Fire, the Earth in the landscape below ... there are no such intrusions in this one. Indigo Rose put it well in the Rider Waite subforum, when she theorized that:

In the book Pictures from the Heart: a Tarot Dictionary-by Sandra Thomon she writes: "Yods....they represent the new possibility of divine energy or intelligence coming through us and becoming manifest in the material act of creation."

My thoughts: The yods were absent from the Ace of Pentacles because it is the material manifestation of the other Aces. It is in fact less about possibilities and more about tangible realities. It is the elements of creation, fully formed and ready to be used for the journey of life. The new beginnings seen with this ace are those that material bounty can bring.

So Earth-based, so concerned with physical manifestation is the Ace of Pentacles that it even manifests these other raw elements, makes them real and tangible. A very interesting thought.

This is all above a simple garden in which white Easter lilies grow, and surrounded by a hedge adorned with red roses. Roses and lilies are such a common theme in this deck, and are prevalent in particular in the Magician card. According to Thomson in Pictures from the Heart: A Tarot Dictionary again:
Thomson said:
On the [Rider Waite] card, the lilies of the mystical path and the roses of the occult path offer a “higher” choice. For those who care to pursue it, we are being called to embark on an esoteric, spiritual journey, one of understanding how our attitudes or behaviour toward outer work reflect our inner life - or how we want to make it do so.
But I'm more inclined just to view them as a further connection to the Magician, as sharing the passion and the spark of the Divine with that card.

An archway grows out of the hedge. It represents a portal, a passage through. From the allowing access between the mundane of the everyday Minor Arcana - represented by the earthly garden - and the loftier concerns of the Major Arcana - represented by the untamed mountains of the Fool that can be seen through the arch. As the archway is before us according to how I view the card’s perspective, and we have yet to pass through it, I see it as relating back to the Aces as potential - potential success, potential victory as in the idea of an Arc du Triomphe.

Pollack commented on how similar the arch is to the wreath that surrounds the dancer on the World. According to Waite’s way of viewing the order of the cards, the World is the last of the Major Arcana, the symbol of completion, and the turning point of the Majors; the Ace of Pentacles is the last card Waite discussed in the Pictorial Key to the Tarot, so it is as if the Minors end and we pass through the archway right back to the Majors. Through the wreath of the World to the mountains of the Fool. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My Interpretation
The Ace of Pentacles is the first manifestation of the Earth energy, the great potential that takes shape over time. Being so practical and literally down-to-Earth, it has its own homey version of magic, the creature comforts. It's a card that bodes well even in small ways. Issues of home and family, of work and money and comfort and inheritance and property - the outcome is good for these when this card turns up. With this tool in your repertoire, you can be assured to go far.