78 Weeks: Valet of Deniers/Coins

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

Fulgour

In working out my astrological associations for the Courts,
The Valets presented the most significant challenge for me.
12 Zodiac signs for 16 Courts makes an awkward problem.

The Moon Phases emerged as the best answer for my views.
Batons = Waxing
Coupes = Full
Epees = Waning
and
Deniers = New (Dark)
As the embodiment of the Full Moon phase for the element
of Earth, and so in Capricorn, for me this card signifies:

Original and Unbounded
Awareness of Needs
Poised to Unfold
Free of Bonds and Restrictions
New Beginnings and Fresh Starts

CreativeFire

Page / Princess of Pentacles

continuing on the study and posting some of my notes on this card ;)

Page / Princess of Pentacles

I often see the Pages / Princesses as new opportunities or embarking on new directions - as this is the Pentacles suit I relate this card to the more earthy and material aspects of life, like home, health, work, study, finances.

In a way continuing on with my theme from the last several Pentacles cards (why stop while I am on a roll ;) ) - I sort of see the Page / Princess of Pentacles as the student embarking on studies or further learning.

Taking action to start out on a path to reach your goals or make real plans in a practical and realistic sense. Concentrating on what is needed to be done and being in touch with what is going on around you to apply to your studies. Focussing on tangible results or what works to achieve grow in skills and knowledge. Be committed to your work or study and seize the opportunities as they present themselves to apply the knowledge to everyday life. Just some random thoughts ;)

CF

gregory

Page of Pentacles - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
Trapped.

From the artist’s website
[intepretation]Upright

She is fixated by the pentacle as she sees it and through it.

Reversed
She is done with the pentacle as she begins to disassemble it - only to reassemble it again.

Images and Symbolism
All around the Page things are in flux and in movement towards the formation of something. The background plays towards the concept of bringing things together. In this case it is through the focus and magic of the Page as she wills all around her to do her bidding.

The background shows a dense forest of autumn trees which has lost their leaves. The idea of wilderness and wild plays on the theme of unorthodox, as the Page pulls apart the pentacle with ease indicating a complacency with the object.

Colour: gold and purple - colour of royalty

Traditional meanings
Upright:

A conscientious child, thrifty and proud of responsibility. He has a strong sense of duty, and is patient and reliable.
Reversed:
An idle child, dull-witted, humourless, boring.
My impressions:
Upright
A figure (the artist says a female, but upright the image is androgynous) with calm eyes holds a pentacle up to its face – balanced on the thumbs and with palms spread outward towards the viewer. The pentacle itself is clear in the centre ,but the “background” is like a spider’s web. The background is a curved wall of squares, like tiles, with what look like pentacles in lines projected on them from a light source.
Reversed
This figure is definitely female, with long gold hair. She hols part of a broken pentacle in each hand, each piece well to one side of her. She is calm and serene – almost blank (though with this deck, most of the almost metallic faces tend to look that way.) Behind her a forest.
My take
Upright – the figure seems trapped in the pentacle – almost as if money has got the better of her, though she looks quote cheerful about it. Upright she seems to have conquered this and to control herself rather than letting money control her. This is all very much at odds both with the artist’s description and the “traditional” meaning….. The book says of the upright image:
All around the page things are in flux and moving toward forming something. The background represents the concept of bringing things together - in this case, it is through the focus and magic of the page as she wills all that is around her to do her bidding.
– but it doesn’t seem that positive at all to me; it is quite creepy. The hands with their palms spread outward almost suggest to me having given up rather than being in control, and the background, described as “in flux” just looks like a powerpoint presentation and quite static. At least with the reversed image I agree to some degree with the artist, who says :
The page pulls apart the pentacle with ease, which indicates a complacency with the object.
- well, yes; quite at ease with it – completely in control of it and of herself, I’d say.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Princess of Disks

First impressions

I have taken grigori’s advice and equated this card with the Page….

In a forest of trees in bright orange sunlight, a pregnant woman with long orange braids and a grey furry cloak, wearing a horned headdress with the head of a ram on it. Her eyes are closed and she is looking downwards. She holds a many-ringed shield with a ying-yang symbol at the centre in her left hand, and a spear with a crystal tip in her right. There’s a fancy kind of pillar behind and to her left.

From the Book of Thoth
• The Princesses represent the He’ final of the Name. They represent the ultimate issue of the original Energy in its completion, its crystallization, its materialization. They also represent the counter-balancing, the re-absorption of the Energy. They represent the Silence into which all things return. They are thus at the same time permanent and non-existent. An audit of the equation 0=2.

The Princesses have no Zodiacal attribution. Yet evidently they represent four types of human being. They are those numerous “elemental” people whom we recognize by their lack of all sense of responsibility, whose moral qualities seem to lack “bite”. They are sub-divided according to planetary predominance. Such types have been repeatedly described in fiction. As Eliphaz Levi wrote: “The love of the Magus for such creatures is insensate, and may destroy him”.

PRINCESS OF DISKS

The Princess of Disks, the last of the Court cards, represents the earthy part of Earth. She is consequently on the brink of transfiguration. She is strong and beautiful, with an expression of intense brooding, as if about to become aware of secret wonder.

Her crest is the head of the ram, and her sceptre descends into the earth. There its head becomes a diamond, the precious stone of Kether, thus symbolizing the birth of the highest and purest light in the deepest and darkest of the Elements. She stands within a grove of sacred trees before an altar suggesting a wheatsheaf, for she is a priestess of Demeter. She bears within her body the secret of the future. Her sublimity is further emphasized by the disk which she bears; for in the centre thereof is the Chinese ideogram denoting the twin spiral force of Creation in perfect equilibrium; from this is born the rose of Isis, the great fertile Mother.

The characteristics of an individual signified by this card are too various to enumerate; one must summarize by saying that she is Womanhood in its ultimate projection. She contains all the characteristics of woman, and it would depend entirely upon the influences to which she is subjected whether one or another becomes manifest. But in every case her attributes will be pure in themselves, and not necessarily connected with any other attributes which in the normal way one regards as symbolic. In one sense, then, her general reputation will be of bewildering inconsistency. It is rather like a lottery wheel from which the extraction of any number does not predict or influence the result of any subsequent operation. The fruit of the Philosophy of Thelema is enjoyed, rare, ripe, nourishing and vitalizing at its highest and fullest in this meditation; for to the adept every turn of the wheel is equally probable, and equally a prize; for every Event is “a play of Nuit”.

In the Yi King the earthy part of Earth is represented by the 52nd hexagram, Kan. The meaning is “a mountain”; of how sublime a significance is this Chinese doctrine of Balance, and how closely congruous with that of the Holy Qabalah!
The mountain is the most sacred of all terrestrial symbols, stark, rugged, and immoveable in its aspiration to the Highest, thrust up as it is by the Titan energy of Hidden Fire. It is no less an hieroglyph of the Inmost Godhead than the Phallus itself, even as Capricornus, the sign of the New Year, is exalted in the Zodiac, its deity autochthonous no less than the Most Holy Ancient One himself.

It is essential for the Student to trace this doctrine for himself in every symbol: Air, the elastic and flexible, yet all-pervading and the element of combustion; Water, fluid yet incompressible, the most neutral and composed of all components of living matter, yet destructive even of the hardest rocks by physical assault, and irresistible in its burning power of solution; and Fire, so kin to Spirit that it is not a substance at all, but a phenomenon, yet so integral to Matter that it is the very heart and essence of all things soever.

The characteristic of Kan in the Yi King is rest; each line of the comment describes repose in the parts of the body in turn, and their effects; the toes, the calves, the loins, the spine, and the jaws.

This chapter is a close parallel in this respect, line by line, with the 31st, Hsien, which begins the second section of the Yi.
The Rosicrucian doctrine of Tetragrammaton could hardly be more adequately stated-to every ear that is to heavenly harmony attuned.
“There’s not a planet in the firmament
But in his motion like an angel sings,

Still quiring to the young-eyed cherubim;
But while this muddy vesture of decay
Doth wrap us round, our nature cannot hear it.
Let every student of this Essay, and of this book of Tahuti, this living Book that guides man through all Time, and leads him to Eternity at every page, hold fast this simplest, most far-reaching Doctrine in his heart and mind, inflaming the inmost of His Being, that he also, having explored each recess of the Universe, may therein find the Light of Truth, so come to the Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel, and accomplish the Great Work, attain the Summum Bonum, true Wisdom and perfect Happiness!

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Princess of Disks = earthy part of Earth, or the element on the brink of Transfiguration. She is standing; her crest is the head of the ram; her sceptre descends into the earth where its head becomes a diamond. Behind are a grove of trees, and an altar resembling a wheatsheaf. She carries a Disk in whose centre is the Chinese ideogram denoting the twin spiral force of Creation in perfect equilibrium.
Also:
Here we have an attempt to translate into a picture the spiritual quality of earth, eternally pregnant and containing in its fertility the unwritten cypher of cosmic lore.

Interestingly, DuQuette points to evidence that this was the last card Frieda painted. (I don’t know why I find this interesting actually, but I do…!) He finds her the most beautiful figure in the whole deck. I can see that. He says that as earth of earth she is the lowest of all the court cards; she carries the highest high and the lowest low, and is “the ultimate princess.” She carries within her the potential of all possibilities – just as earth does – and the key to perpetuating the life of the universe.

She is a priestess of Demeter and has her altar among barren trees (I saw them as autumnal myself, and that does not say barren to me) and her presence will bring them back to life. The crystal on her wand is a diamond - Kether, the highest high, and the basis of all carbon based life. The disc she carries is made up of 36 sections (good; I was going to count them myself…) which DuQuette suggests may symbolise the 36 small cards of the tarot – all the pips but the aces. He sees the disc as a giant seed.

Banzhaf sees the diamond as about to pierce the earth as a fact of physical union. diving to the inner centre (womb) where eternal life germinates. The thing in the background I referred to as a fancy kind of pillar :D is her altar. Her cape, says Banzhaf, is a sheepskin, connecting her with Artemis – and indeed, she looks a little huntress-like. Banzhaf sees her disc as a flower – the rose of Isis. She is Callisto, the nymph of the hunt, one of Artemis’ followers.

Snuffin says that the illuminating light from the diamond symbolises the beginning of the cycle of the court cards – he says that the yellow light coming from it also appears in the background of the King of Wands – I am not entirely convinced by this, as light appears so often, but…

Snuffin also points out that the ground is transparent so that we can see the roots of the trees. I assumed they were just showing above ground – as so many roots in forests do. But he does also say that it is all lit from below, and now that I look at it… HE reckons the disc is a pentacle painted in solar colours, and that the 36 segments represent the 36 decans making up the solar year which begins in Aries (see under sheepskin !)

Her pregnancy symbolises the renewal that will come with Spring – and she is the daughter become mother, renewing the Tetragrammaton cycle.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Princess of Disks. Represents the earthy part of earth. A young woman beautiful and strong, as if beholding a secret wonder, pregnant with all life. She is generous, kind, diligent, benevolent, preserving. III-dignified: Wasteful and prodigal woman at war with her essential dignity.

DuQuette
She is generous, kind, diligent, benevolent, careful, courageous, persevering, pitiful. If ill-dignified, she is wasteful and prodigal.

(I cannot believe DuQuette meant pitiful, I suspect more pitying, as in empathising with those in trouble ?)

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
PAGES
The first court cards are the Pages (also known as Princesses). It is always best to imagine them as young, and with a letter or scroll in hand. The element of the pages is "Earth" indicating something young, growing, a seed planted. So the Page of Wands would be "Earth of Fire" - the seed of fire, so to speak. Pages most often stand for children, though they can also be said to be the "Fool's" alter ego, meaning that they are very new to their "element," a student or apprentice.
Thus, when no children seem to be involved (the person you're reading for is childless, has no friends with kids, etc.), then the Pages can indicate that the querent is about to receive a message, or that the querent's (or someone in the querent's life) is at a new stage. They feel new and excited about it, but also are likely to make mistakes. They are immature.
Page of Pentacles

As a Message: Messages about money, a good, unexpected turn in health, a lucky happenstance or work.
As Time and Environment: This Page's element of Earth works in favor of this time. There is new growth, steady development. Everything from the economy to the body seem youthful and healthy.
As a Child or "Child-like" Person: The Page of Pentacles is a hands-on sort of child or child-like adult. They enjoy hammering together birdhouses, helping build a tree house, cooking, cleaning. If a child-like adult, they likely want to fix things around the house be it a leaky faucet or creaky floorboards. They are into home repair and/or handmade gifts.
They are also industrious when it comes chores, taking on extra in order to earn extra money. They'll water lawns, walk pets. They're very frugal with that money, keeping it in the piggy bank and counting it out often to see how much they've got. Similarly, they're very health conscious, seeing exercise not as a competition (as a Page of Wands might) but as self-improvement. They're more interested in beating their own record rather than someone else's.
As a child, they may seem too serious and adult-like. As an adult, they may seem to be stuck doing more "child-like" work, like being a dog-walker, rather than employed in a more adult job.
Though they can be generous and good hearted, the querent should be warned that being "immature" this person will rarely do anything for free, not if they can get someone to pay them to do it. Meaning if the querent goes out on a date with this child-like person, they'll be eating somewhere cheap or going Dutch. There is an element of "what's in it for me?" in the Page of Pentacles.

(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
It is indeed very lovely. I do think her face is a little cunning; one book says she is inflexible, and that might fit. The spear looks kind of awkward to me. I am with Snuffin on the disc being a painted pentacle. The one thing no-pone has mentioned is a sort of spiral of – smoke ? in the background. It could almost come from the back of her headdress, except that trees are in the way ! The colours are very autumnal – which feels to me to fit Demeter and the harvest. It is also the time of year when hinting beging in earnest.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
As I say she looks a little cunning. Also secretive, but she is able to illuminate that secrecy if she chooses. I think there is a hint of “I’ll only tell you if you do what I want.” I’d say she is someone to watch for. A friend with her own agenda.

jackdaw*

Page of Pentacles (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
I’ve always liked the Page of Pentacles. The offspring, a Taurus and still a small child, is represented by this card (astrologically, at least, being an Earth sign; personality wise she’s a Page of Wands all the way), and it’s how I was as a child, for all that I’m a Fire sign. Not that this is my favourite rendition, because I’ve always much preferred the Robin Wood Tarot’s rendition. But I like it nonetheless.

Against a yellow sky (again), a slender and dark-haired youth stands on the edge of a grassy meadow that overlooks a grove of trees, a plowed field and distant mountain range. Small red and yellow flowers grow near his booted feet. He wears tan shirt and leggings underneath a green tunic belted by a tan sash. He’s also got a red hat on his head that drapes elaborately and hangs down to his shoulder.

There’s a large gold pentacle in his hands, bigger than his head. Or is it in his hands? It seems to be just at the edge of his fingertips as if it’s flying, just leaving his hands. And it’s on this pentacle that his whole focus is directed. He smiles as he looks at it, as though it interests him or pleases him to see it fly.

What do I make of this card when I see it? Well, children, obviously, and childlike fascination. The way he looks at the pentacle and holds it makes me think of a baby bird, like he’s setting it free to fly for the first time. So a love of and interest in nature as well.

Creator’s Notes
In The Pictorial Key to the Tarot Waite says:
Waite said:
A youthful figure, looking intently at the pentacle which hovers over his raised hands. He moves slowly, insensible of that which is about him.
I don’t know if it hovers really, but it could be. As for the second sentence, I agree wholeheartedly. He does move slowly, if he moves at all. How speedy is Earth, anyway, with respect to the rest of the elements? Not at all. And he is definitely insensible of his surroundings, of anything other than that pentacle. A daydreamer? Most likely.

Others’ Interpretations
As far as divination goes, Waite says that this card means:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Application, study, scholarship, reflection another reading says news, messages and the bringer thereof; also rule, management. Reversed: Prodigality, dissipation, liberality, luxury; unfavourable news.

In her Learning the Tarot course, Joan Bunning says:
Bunning said:
The Page of Pentacles is a messenger bringing you opportunities for prosperity. He delivers real chances to experience wealth, abundance, security and solid achievement - the wonders of the Pentacles suit. In your readings, this Page suggests that an opening may appear that promises enrichment, comfort, trust or the chance to make your dreams real. When you see such a chance, act on it!

The Page of Pentacles can also stand for a child or young-at-heart adult whose interactions with you involve stability, trust, commitment, safety and material needs. Sometimes the Page of Pentacles implies that your entire situation is suffused with the spirit of physical enjoyment. At such times, feel free to have fun with your body, skills and possessions in a lighthearted way. Revel in the delights of being alive on Earth at this time.

Symbols and Attributes
Astrologically, Pages are not assigned to a particular sign. But they embody their suit element; in this case, Earth. The Golden Dawn must have been thinking of this when they titled the card “Princess of the Echoing Hills, Rose of the Palace of Earth”. Of course, it’s a very feminine title, but Pamela Colman Smith was always fond of androgynous figures in her cards, and many other decks (Robin Wood, World Spirit, Thoth) do show Pages as young girls, as Princesses.

Elementally the Page of Pentacles is in fact the Earth of Earth. It makes me think of a seed or fertilizer (as unromantic as that sounds). Of the great potential for growth. There’s so much potential here! Almost anything that is planted here would germinate and come to fruition. Ideas, dreams, plans. But as the Earthiest of the court cards in this respect, it embodies practicality. So much for the dreamer aspect, you’d think.

In the Tarot, at least in the Rider Waite tradition, Pages are youths and novices, and they are also students; what I took to be dreaminess may simply be intent study. Rachel Pollack said that the practicality of the Pentacles manifests here as the actual work of the student. Considering my own university studies, I think of studying, writing exams, lab work, menial grunt work on unpaid internships, late nights with the textbooks and the coffee pot … no lofty Ivory Tower for this student!

The Page shown here wears boots, rather than soft shoes. All the better for tramping the fields and emphasizing his work ethic and connection to nature. Boots, shirt and leggings are all brown. Brown represents not only this Page’s double connection to Earth, but also groundedness. His tunic is the green of new growth, further underlining the Page connection and the fertile growth of Earth. The tunic is belted tightly about the waist with a brown sash wrapped around. At least, it looks like a sash rather than a belt or girdle, but its ends are tucked in neatly. No dangling ends, nothing left hanging for this Page, who pays great attention to detail. Sandra A. Thomson suggests that a belt represents a separation between the higher (the body) and the lower (the mind). But the earthy brown of the sash here softens that somewhat. I think mind and body, the emotional/intellectual/spiritual and the physical/mundane, work together quite well, the connection is well grounded.

His cap is an unusual shape, with a long drape that falls over one shoulder. Fire Cat has referred to it as the “hood of a scholar”; I wonder if it’s a reference to the same liripipe or academic hood worn by the boy in the Six of Cups. It does remind me, shape wise, of the hat worn by those receiving PhDs or honorary doctorates. So another reference to his status as a student. The choice of red is interesting. Normally I associate red with passion, confidence and action. Strange in this card, though. I always thought of this Page as shy. But all the red is in his hat, so refers to his head. Perhaps he has a great deal of confidence in his own intelligence and abilities. Or if not, he should.

His expression, as he gazes at the pentacle, is contented and focused. Some have likened it to an oracle, a crystal ball in which he sees his future. I don’t know if I see that. But just as the innocent Fool is totally engrossed in the sensations of the day to the exclusion of the danger he’s in at the edge of the cliff, so is the Page of Pentacles oblivious to anything other than that pentacle.

Why is it seeming to float like that? If it’s an idea, then it’s intangible. Of the intellect and therefore associated with Air, it would float like a balloon. I wonder if that was what this is trying to illustrate. It makes as much sense to me as anything. Airy and elusive ideas that dance just beyond reach of the fingertips, it might require considerable focus and attention to bring it within reach, to the practical realm.

With his boots on the grass, the Page of Pentacles is one with nature and well grounded. But does he pay attention? No, his focus is entirely on the pentacle. The flowers at his feet are unnoticed and soon to be stepped on unless he notices them. He might have his feet on the ground, but is he truly attuned to it? Not really. He is blind to the beauty around him. Again, oblivious like the Fool. But as was pointed out on the forum before, at least the Fool must have noticed the flowers; he stopped to pick one on his way to the edge of the cliff. Not this Page, though. It’s as if nothing exists in the world other than that pentacle.

Behind him, and unnoticed, stands a small copse of trees. Quite singular, as it is not a forest or random, but a quite singular round knot of trees standing alone. Groves of trees represent not just order and so-called civilization (clearly this didn’t happen by accident; the trees would have had to be planted like that or deliberately spared when the rest of the trees were cleared away), but also sanctuary. They are sometimes found planted to give shelter from the wind around a home. I’m also reminded somehow of the sacred groves of the Druids. Whichever theory you prefer, it would certainly represent the hand of man rather than nature, and so the manifestation of ideas and the application of physical work over the natural world.

The same might be said for the plowed fields on the other side of the middle distance in this card. They speak not only of the labour required to ready the fields for planting, the attention and care, but also the need for patience. As we saw in the Seven of Pentacles, it doesn’t take overnight to go from planting to harvest. Things have to run their natural course, instant gratification is not to be found in the suit of Pentacles. The field is receptive, ready to receive the seed just as the Page of Pentacles, as any Page, really, is a thirsty little sponge soaking up knowledge and experience. Another thought: when the field is plowed and ready for planting, there is great potential. Anything could grow there. A humble little subsistence lot of a few potatoes and beets, or a cash crop. Like the Page himself, in these early stages anything is possible; there’s endless potential.

Mountains, particularly those in the distance, represent challenges and goals. Further off, they represent quests (usually of a spiritual nature). They indicate how far one has to go to reach them. In this Page’s case, I see their presence in the distance as representing the goal of his education or degree or even the job that is the end prize result of that education. The Page of Pentacles is just starting out; the goal is a long way off. But he can see it, he knows that it’s there.

And the yellow sky? I’ve seen it said that yellow is a sign of intelligence, intellect. Also with contentment. So it may be a positive sign for the Page, that he is content in his own little world of daydreams or studies, happy with his work and his studies, secure in his own intelligence without being conceited or cocky about it.

My Interpretations
I’m puzzled. I’d always considered the Page of Pentacles to be a shy character. But in the course of my analysis of Waite’s and Colman Smith’s symbolism in this card, I’m not getting that so much. Granted, I’m not getting that he’s not shy, either. But, well, I’m not sure anymore where the whole idea even came from in the first place!

Because the figure is a Page, I’m still inclined to see it in a reading as a child or youth, a student or one just starting out on a particular path. I also see childlike innocence, perhaps naïveté. And in the abstract, messages. Because after all, that’s what a Page did in medieval times: ran messages for the royal family. Given the Earthy nature of the Pentacle suit, I naturally gravitate toward messages being of a practical or material nature. About money, about property, about work.

But what’s specific to this Page? More than any other, a student or novice in his field. A dreamer, or at least one who becomes lost in his thoughts and ideas. The Page of Pentacles is well grounded, a sensible sort, but tends to block out the rest of the world when considering something. But there’s great potential there. Vast, really. And still a sense of childlike wonder.