78 Weeks: Queen of Swords

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Queen of Swords

Now originally I had planned to finish the study out of sequence and have the Queen of Swords as my last card, but I have decided to stay in order after all and finish with the King.

So once again posting some thoughts on my study for the week, using the Universal Waite, Native American Tarot and Druidcraft decks as inspiration.

Queen of Swords

Now I guess the Queen of Swords is sort of special to me in a way, and I do identify with her as a significator often (even though I do believe we are a combination of different personality types that make up the whole). However, when I got my first deck of tarot cards about 11 years ago - the Native American Tarot (Gonzalez) - there was just something about the Matriarch of Blades in this deck that I was attracted to. Which for people familiar with the deck may think a little odd as it is not the most attractive looking image, being of a native amerian women with an unusual and strong look, holding a knife and a scalp in her hands. Whilst I was looking through the deck and holding this particular card, my mother who was with me was reading through the little white book, and suddenly starting reading it out to me about a card as she felt that it sounded a bit like me - I asked her what was the name of the card and she said - you guessed it ;) - the Matriarch of Blades.

Now out of a bit of nostalgia and to refresh my own memory I dug out the deck and LWB again, as I have not used this deck in such a long time.

Quoting from the LWB:
"Her hair is unconventionally style, emphasing her individuality and strong-mindedness. She is acutely perceptive, keenly observant, and is an accurate and subtle interpreter. She is confident in action and graceful in movement. She is one who has known great happiness and great misfortune."

I do recognise though that in this particular deck the Matriarch can sometimes be associated with the King of the suit - but I always associated her with the Queen. Now I never read the LWB's that come with a deck but this one always stuck in my mind for some reason, even though at the time I did not totally relate to the card description, as I had once been very individualistic and strong-minded but somehow marriage and changed that for me over the years - but it is hard to explain but I saw it as like a message reminding me of how I had once been and was still deep inside. And from that day on I kept thinking about this card and would often take it out just to look at her to steel my strength to regain my independance and will. Now not wanting to get too boring with personal details here, but suffice to say that it was about a year later that I separated from my husband and was on the path back to finding my self again and restoring my strength and love of my own individualism.

Whilst studying this card I kept coming back to something I had read and then heard a while back about this card's 'common' meaning (if you call it that) - in that the Queen of Swords usually relates to a mature, sad and divorced woman. Which when I think about it, maybe she was a sign for me in another way of what was to come. But then I don't think of a 'divorced' woman as necessarily sad ;) As I personally became so much happier becoming one - even though it was not an easy path with a young child to raise and provide for - but very happy nonetheless :)

Then I started thinking why the Queen of Swords is associated with a 'divorced' woman - maybe it is because she has learnt a lot of things from experience - some good, some bad - but it may make her that little bit more cynical and analytical about things that previously her innocence and niavety would not have recognised. Also that she is honest and forthright with others but also with her self, having a realistic approach and having learned from her life's journey so far. She may be viewed perhaps as 'hard' in a way, but also fair, however able to see the funny side of things in a situation and even have the ability to laugh at herself. So thinking along these lines I think I gained a bit more insight as to this connection - even though when this Queen turns up in readings I don't immediately think of divorce - lol! But more about possibly the need to be honest and straightforward with a situation inwardly as well as externally.

aargh - more than enough rambling from me tonight on this card - however still lots of thoughts floating around on this one, before I move on to my last card - the King of Swords ;)

CF

gregory

Queen of Swords - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
This is one scary lady…..

From the artist’s website
Upright

She is stunning, charming and cool. Her head rules over her heart as she prides herself in her logic and mental abilities.

Reversed
She is troubled by the conflicts of her mind. She experiences sorrow in the deepest form - the anguish that plays over and over in her mindscape.

Images and Symbolism
The queen, similar to the king is a winged creature upon a heavenly throne. Metaphorically the wings represent a higher level of consciousness, which she has reached.
The upside queen has a firm cold look on her face for she embodies logic. For her, stimulation comes from he mind, not from the pleasures of the body.
The reversed side queen is distraught as she suffers from mental anguish. For the queen, who prides herself on her command over the matters of the mind, the anguish and sorrow she suffers in an indication of her own personal failure.

Colour: gold and green - royalty and the colour of healing and nature

Traditional meanings
Upright:

Self-reliant, versatile, alert to opinions around her and skilled at balancing opposing factions.
Reversed:
Subtle, malicious, intelligent and dangerous.

My impressions:
Upright
A stern looking woman with a heart-shaped face and golden wings sits on her throne. She is dressed all in green and holds a sword horizontally in front of her – one hand on the hilt, the other at the tip. It is so brilliant that the light sort of shadows over her face. Behind her the sky, blue with clouds.

Reversed
This queen holds the sword in one hand, to her right, pointing downwards; her other hand covers her face. The sky behind her is chaotic, and her wings are almost tangled.

My take
The upright queen is in total control. She has thought everything through; she knows what is going on – and by the look of her, what needs to be done, and she will not hesitate to do it. She is cold, emotionless. I don’t think I would want to know her; she would be calculating, and, I think, unpleasant. I don’t see her, for instance, falling in love. I think she would be fair, though, in so far as she could see what was fair. She’d be no Solomon… But where logic is needed – she’s your woman. Maybe this suggests thinking your way out of a situation, or making a decision rationally, rather than going with the heart ?
The reversed queen looks - nicer, sort of – but desperately unhappy. Almost suicidal – she could almost be considering it, the way she is holding the sword. I think she cannot see any way forward; there may indeed be none, for her. Maybe this is what you get when you are as cold as the upright image – there is no love in her life. She has no sense of her own worth, and that reflects on everything she does. This could make her “play dirty” – but not because she is a nasty person, just from her unhappiness. I think she is someone who needs allowances made for her, support, maybe even counselling. She isn’t a stable woman…..

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Queen of Swords

First impressions

Sitting on a cloud, in a blue, blue sky, a woman, naked from the waist up, holds a downward pointing sword in her right hand and a bearded man’s head (green) whose eyes are closed, in her left. Her skirt is blue; her hair is long and blonde. Behind her head – referred to as her helmet ! – is a crystalline formation in green with a child’s head at its top. Rays of light spread from it in a very geometrical way – pencil thin, and following the lines of the crystals.

From the Book of Thoth
(repeated section from the Princess, for completeness):
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE FOUR DIGNITARIES
The relations between these Four Elements of the Name are extraordinarily complex, quite beyond the limits of any ordinary treatise to discuss; they change with every application of thought to their meaning.

For instance, no sooner has the Princess made her appearance than the Prince wins her in marriage, and she is set upon the throne of her Mother. She thus awakens the Eld of the original old King; who thereupon becomes a young Knight, and so renews the cycle. The Princess is not only the perfect Maiden, but, owing to the death of the Prince, the forsaken and lamenting Widow. All this occurs in the legends characteristic of the Aeon of Osiris. It is hardly possible definitely to disentangle these complications, but for the student it is sufficient if he will be content to work with one legend at a time.
It is natural that the Aeon of Osiris, the regimen of Air, of strife, of intellect, should be thus confused; that its symbols and formulas should overlap, should contradict each other. It is impossible to harmonize the multitudinous fables or parables, because each was invented to emphasize some formula that was regarded as imperative to serve some local or temporal purpose.

The Queens represent the letter Heh of the Name. They are the complements of the Knights. They receive, ferment, and transmit the original Energy of their Knight. Quick to receive that Energy, they are also fitted to endure for the period of their function; but they are not the final product. They represent the second stage in the process of creation whose fourth and last state is material realization. They are represented as seated upon thrones. This emphasizes the fact that they are appointed to exercise definite functions.

QUEEN OF SWORDS

The Queen of Swords represents the watery part of Air, the elasticity of that element, and its power of transmission. She rules from the 21St degree of Virgo to the 20th degree of Libra. She is enthroned upon the clouds. The upper part of her body is naked, but she wears a gleaming belt and a sarong. Her helmet is crested by the head of a child, and from it stream sharp rays of light, illuminating her empire of celestial dew. In her right hand, she bears a sword; in her left hand, the newly severed head of a bearded man. She is the clear, conscious perception of Idea, the Liberator of the Mind.

The person symbolized by this card should be intensely perceptive, a keen observer, a subtle interpreter, an intense individualist, swift and accurate at recording ideas; in action confident, in spirit gracious and just. Her movements will be graceful, and her ability in dancing and balancing exceptional.

If ill-dignified, these qualities will all be turned to unworthy purposes. She will be cruel, sly, deceitful and unreliable; in this way, very dangerous, on account of the superficial beauty and attractiveness which distinguish her.

In the Yi King, the watery part of Air is represented by the 28th hexagram, Ta Kwo.

The Shape suggests a weak beam.

The character, excellent in itself, cannot support interference. Foresight and prudence, care in preparation of action, are a safeguard (line i.) Advantage is to be won, moreover, by reliance on help from apparently unsuitable comrades (lines 2 and 5). This alien strength often supplies the defeat of inherent weakness, and may even create definite superiority to circumstance (line 4). In such an event, there may be temptation to undertake rash adventures, foredoomed to failure. But even so, no blame is incurred (line 6); the conditions of True Will have been satisfied, and the issue is compensated by the feeling that the right (however unfortunate) course has been adopted.

Such people acquire intense love and devotion from the most unexpected quarters.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

The Queen of Swords represents the water part of Air, that is its elasticity and transmissive power. She is throned on the clouds, and her helmet carries a child's head. In one hand a sword, in the other a head of a man. She represents the clear perception of an idea, the Liberator of mind.
Also:
Queen of Swords.
The placing of the cruel queen on columns of clouds is intended to suggest rain and the consequent darkening of the skies.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Queen of Swords. Represents the watery part of air. A graceful woman, intensely perceptive, a keen observer, subtle interpreter, an intense individualist, confident, gracious and just. III-dignified: Cruel, sly, deceitful and unreliable woman. Superficial attractiveness makes her all the more dangerous

DuQuette
Intensely perceptive, keen observation, subtle, quick and confident: often persevering, accurate in superficial things, graceful, fond of dancing and balancing.
If ill dignified, cruel, sly, deceitful, unreliable, though with a good exterior.

The child’s head on the helmet is reminiscent of cemetery sculpture; this would link it to Saturn, which is exalted in Libra - one of two astrological attributes of this card. Libra used to be associated with the Egyptian god Khonsu, says Snuffin; a moon god shown as a child. Crowley’s sun sign is Libra, which is why this card is one of the only two court cards whose eyes have pupils (the other is the Prince of Wands, which Crowley described in The Book of Therion as himself – it was his personal court card).
The rays forming the helmet are 15 in number - Hod spelled out in full. the other astrological attribution of the card is Virgo, ruled by Mercury.
Her swords symbolises analytical thought, and the old man’s head - given the beard in particular, and the sort of self-satisfied guru expression in his face ! – represents old ways of thinking – now cut away and ended; the child’s head symbolises the new thinking which will take their place. She liberates the mind.
DuQuette calls her sword the sword of reason, and says she has used it to separate the higher faculties of the intellect from the influences of the lower nature. He says the head is perhaps the Hermit of Virgo; “the eyes closed peacefully, the face suggesting the trance of deep meditation”.
He also points out that as this card does represent Crowley’s sun sign, it would be expected to be the most intimidating card in the deck”, and that it is the classic Golden Dawn image; she holds a severed head and the sword that probably beheaded the man.
Banzhaf suggests that she has actually emasculated the man; castrated his upper masculinity. The crystals behind her head represent the flowing of ideas into form – what the Sufis call the light of pure intelligence. He sees the child’s head as showing renewal and creative force – the father is set free as true wisdom through the child’s innocence.

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
QUEENS
The element of Queens is water and, not surprisingly, they are a reflection of the Empress. In this they signify the creative force. That which nurtures, slakes thirst and helps things to grow.
When Queens appear they signal a time of growth and development, a time when the querent is making things real.

Queen of Swords
As a development: Developing a speech, a scientific theory, a dissertation, working on a debate, or just spreading news.
As an adult woman: She's a walking encyclopedia. Anything you want to know, this woman knows it, and as such she can mingle with almost anyone. She can talk science with the scientists, history with the historians, literature with the poets. She knows obscure facts, strange tid-bits, and she seems to love nothing better than to pour it all out, give it away like gifts to help people.
In fact this woman is likely to be involved in a job that includes talking: psychology, politics, radio, or research. She might be a scientist, doctor or lawyer. Far-sighted, she is usually ahead of the game when it comes to new developments and will do many things-from cooking new cuisines, to using unconventional child rearing techniques-long before it's in vogue. All of which tends to make her appear eccentric.
It's no surprise that men and women find themselves either threatened by her or fascinated. Her cool demeanor enhances her allure, making her the most "queen-like" of the queens, and her talent with words can be used to either lead one gently and persuasively over to her side, or tear an argument (and a person's self-worth) to pieces.
Obviously, her style of parenting can seem "un-motherly" as she believes in offering up facts to solve problems rather than hugs and kisses. No one is better at intellectually stimulating her children, keeping them curious, helping them with homework or dealing coolly and effectively with emergencies. But she is lacking when it comes to providing emotional understanding and support. The Queen of Swords also likes to know everything, and she is likely to listen in on conversations, read e-mails, etc. Worse, she might well tell others what she's learned thinking it will do good. She means well, but her need to know and solve problems often outweighs other considerations. At her best, however, she is the queen of strategy. If there is a problem that needs to be solved, a puzzle worked out, the Queen of Swords is the one you want.
(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
My immediate thought was – OMG it’s the Statue of Liberty. Oddly enough that rather fits the description, by Frieda, of her as the Liberator of mind. She seems very languid. The guru head – the way she holds it as if he had a braid behind is interesting- adds to the “guru” feel, for me. But I cannot see those crystals as a headdress – they just don’t seem to be on her head in any way.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
Because of the Statue of Liberty thing – I see this card at once as getting free of the past, cutting loose and moving forward – but perhaps rather clinically. Also that head makes me think of John the Baptist – which would make her Salome, the conniving jealous seductress. Maybe be careful when cutting away the past – don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater !