pocket rider waite with pixie titles

auntie

Hi! I want to buy a pocket Rider Waite and I see that the current edition has the new yucky machine font titles. It seems like they've changed the box design too, but you know how online the photo of the box doesn't always match what your receive? Anyone have a source for old stock pocket RW? Or a suggestion? Maybe the isbn number changed - anyone have the old isbn number? I'd appreciate it.

Abrac

What's the ISBN of the one with typeface font? I don't have a pocket version, but if someone has an older one it would make it easier for them to compare theirs against the new one. I think those ISBN numbers always stay the same for the same item. I don't think it matters whether it's undergone modifications, a new printer or whatever, if it's a RWS pocket edition the ISBN should be the same. But as sure as I say this someone will show up and prove me wrong. :laugh:

I've always had the best luck in situations like this with eBay or Amazon Marketplace, or someplace where you can see the actual item you're getting and where you can ask the seller questions. Look for printed in Switzerland and avoid Made in Italy. You may run across some made in China but I'm not sure about the titles on those.

Richard

I have a pocket Rider-Waite with the PCS calligraphy, ISBN 139780880793469. It has the USG copyright on the cards.

Attachments

• ac.jpg
    ac.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 275

Zephyros

I have two. One boxless, in English, with the calligraphy. Another in Turkish, without. Although I don't really care about it, it doesn't seem important to me.

Richard

I have two. One boxless, in English, with the calligraphy. Another in Turkish, without. Although I don't really care about it, it doesn't seem important to me.
It matters only to collectors, I think. One of my favorite Rider-Waite decks has (machine made) French titles.

3ill.yazi

I have a recent edition of the miniature deck, and it has the PCS calligraphy, isbn 9780913866597. Love it.

auntie

Thank you, everyone! I got lucky and an AE member found one for me. I read with the RWS, the "Original" is my go-to deck now, so I've gotten used to the copyright line which is so tiny, but I've been using the deck for so many years that the look of the titles matter to me (obviously I don't need to read them obviously) just the aesthetic of it. Personally, I'd rather the artwork left out the titles altogether than printed them in the modern font - but it may just sting my eye because I've been reading with the original design for so many years. The problem is that on amazon and ebay they show old stock photos of the box, but then when you order, you just get the new version - so if it matters to anyone, there you have it. But I've got one on its way to me now, a nice size for purse use.

auntie

I'll just add here, for anyone else looking for the old pixie calligraphy, that unfortunately, it does seem that the isbn numbers have also stayed the same, so unless the photo of the deck is accurate, you don't know what you're getting if you order online, so buyer beware. Best of luck to you!

danieru_X

I just bought a pocket RWS with copyright and without pixie font but I'm overly impressed with the print quality of this deck. It's made in Belgium under the agm banner.

On a side note they shuffle really well as I used to do a bit of magician cardistry so I feel right at home. =)

Richard

I'll just add here, for anyone else looking for the old pixie calligraphy, that unfortunately, it does seem that the isbn numbers have also stayed the same, so unless the photo of the deck is accurate, you don't know what you're getting if you order online, so buyer beware. Best of luck to you!
After some 40+ years of using the RWS, I don't even notice the card titles. Pixie's calligraphy is quaint and charming, but I hardly ever notice it.