Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Books Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your Tarot cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot lovers, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post your thoughts, share readings, search, save threads, view extra boards and more.

post a reply

Lisa Myobun 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedera View Post
Does anyone has anything wonderful or horrible to say about the Fountain Tarot?

The production values seem to be fantastic (that is what most reviews I've read are gushing about) and it looks pretty and airy and easy to read and perfect for spring...

But on the other hand I'm worried that it is only a pretty face; that it's simplistic and one-dimensional.

And I look at my Thoth and think, I have all the sacred geometry I need right there, in a much meatier package....

Thoughts? Pros/cons?

What are the readings like that you do with it?

I've simply not been able to get on with my Fountain. Yes, lovely production values... and people talk about its "neutrality" and crispness and clarity. I just find it lifeless. Like a beautiful loft apartment profiled in Architectural Digest: I appreciate it, but will never want to live there. And it really does feel like the collaborative work that went into it -- including a lot of research into decks and meanings -- was smart and purposeful, but didn't come out of a deep heart of practice. Thoth on the other hand -- depths and depths and more depths.....
Lisa Myobun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago     Top   #501
Lisa Myobun 
Citizen

Meanwhile: I've been sorely tempted by some passionate videos and posts about the new plastic large format Ellis DecK. I've never been drawn to this deck before -- and it's very spendy (over $100). But now as I'm seeing it large and in charge, I'm starting to reconsider.... Anyone have thoughts one way or another?
Old 11 Hours Ago     Top   #502
G6 
Citizen X

My 2P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Myobun View Post
Meanwhile: I've been sorely tempted by some passionate videos and posts about the new plastic large format Ellis DecK. I've never been drawn to this deck before -- and it's very spendy (over $100). But now as I'm seeing it large and in charge, I'm starting to reconsider.... Anyone have thoughts one way or another?
It's a deck that has been on my wishlist for awhile, but I personally cannot justify spending $110 on a deck. The paper version is $45. I recall there was a less expensive smaller plastic version awhile ago, but it must have sold out. I would resist the urge and see what the 4th edition is like, but that's me. In general, I also question special editions that seem like cash grabs.

That cannot fly.”
― Langston Hughes
G6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago     Top   #503
Lisa Myobun 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 View Post
It's a deck that has been on my wishlist for awhile, but I personally cannot justify spending $110 on a deck. The paper version is $45. I recall there was a less expensive smaller plastic version awhile ago, but it must have sold out. I would resist the urge and see what the 4th edition is like, but that's me. In general, I also question special editions that seem like cash grabs.

Thank you!!! I've been intrigued lately by plastic decks - don't own one and have even been thinking I might buy the Golden Thread just to check it out - although it's not my aesthetic.... feel free to de-enable me there too!
Old 11 Hours Ago     Top   #504
G6 
Citizen X

Quote:
Thank you!!! I've been intrigued lately by plastic decks - don't own one and have even been thinking I might buy the Golden Thread just to check it out - although it's not my aesthetic.... feel free to de-enable me there too!
Plastic is just a gimmick, let it go! 😊 BUT, I do like the Golden Thread too and someone is selling it in the trade forum right now. I would feel better enabling you on that purchase. SORRY, lol! 😊 None of us need more decks though is the standard Surgeon Generals warning.

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=273758

Im bad. 😈

That cannot fly.”
― Langston Hughes
G6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago     Top   #505
Lisa Myobun 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 View Post
Plastic is just a gimmick, let it go! BUT, I do like the Golden Thread too and someone is selling it in the trade forum right now. I would feel better enabling you on that purchase. SORRY, lol! None of us need more decks though is the standard Surgeon Generals warning.

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=273758

Im bad.

Old 11 Hours Ago     Top   #506
Hedera 
Citizen

Ellis

Quote:
I've simply not been able to get on with my Fountain. Yes, lovely production values... and people talk about its "neutrality" and crispness and clarity. I just find it lifeless. Like a beautiful loft apartment profiled in Architectural Digest: I appreciate it, but will never want to live there. And it really does feel like the collaborative work that went into it -- including a lot of research into decks and meanings -- was smart and purposeful, but didn't come out of a deep heart of practice. Thoth on the other hand -- depths and depths and more depths.....
Thank you, that makes me feel better!

Let me return the favour by sharing my experiences with the Ellis decK.
I have the first edition, bought shortly after it came out. The images that I had seen online looked terrific; bold and colourful and deep and interesting.

But in reality, something is missing...
When laid out in a spread, it all feels very flat and lifeless. The colours all seem to have the same saturation and every part of the image has the same (computer-generated) sharpness; I miss a sense of literal depth of field (it does have figurative - or is it metaphorical - depth, although not quite as much as I had hoped), a sense of foreground and background, harder and softer places and textures.

For some reason, everything feels rather rigid and stiff.
The swords work ok, for the most part; at least they have some contrast between the reds and the greys and the blacks.
But the cups are just all brightness everywhere, nowhere for the eye to land or rest. The actual images on the cups are the least interesting too, I think.
It's one of those decks that look brilliant and alive on a computer screen, but don't translate well into cardboard.

So it's become one of those decks that I remember a few times a year (jump out of bed, all excited about this wonderful deck that I had forgotten about somehow), look through, and then put away again without even shuffling it.

I'd still love a print of the Moon card to hang on my wall though!

Edit: oh, and while I adore borderless decks, I really dislike large decks. The smaller edition is perfectly trimmable, should you want a borderless one.

Last edited by Hedera; 10 Hours Ago at 02:26.
Hedera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Hours Ago     Top   #507
banbha 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRunsDeep View Post
I own the Hekate deck, have been working with it recently, and I LOVE it!! It reads extremely well on a very deep and personal level. The cards can be connected with traditional RWS meanings, but the unique artwork really lets your intuition take flight as well. Two people created the deck, Tinnekke Bebout and Hope Ezerins. I believe Hope was the artist, and Tinnekke wrote the companion book (though I might be mistaken about that). If you are on the fence, I think you should go for it! This is a deck that goes beyond the usual, standard tarot interpretations and speaks on a very personal level.
Thank you RiverRunsDeep! I was hoping this deck would give readings that were deep and personal and I will give it a try.
banbha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Hours Ago     Top   #508
  post a reply

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards

Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today