Tarot of a moon garden symbols

MoonLitCrystal

Ah what a beautiful deck! With my deck, I got a little booklet that has a brief summary of every card. In the introduction part of the booklet, it actually does talk about the symbols. I'm not sure if it simply describes the cards and tries to create a story, or if you could actually use these symbols in your readings. Personally, I do use them when I read.

"Unicorns act as guides through the wonder of the lunar landscape."
"Dragons indicate areas for transformation and warn of temptation."
"Hot air balloons are sometimes sighted...bringing visitors from other worlds."
"Castles serve as welcome hospitality to those seeking shelter."
"Dolphins...acting as helpful messengers for those who quest with a pure heart."
"The moon herself appears in many cards, representing the triple goddess - maiden, mother, and crone, in her waxing, full, and waning faces..."

Taken from the Tarot of a Moon Garden instructions booklet, written by Laura E. Clarson.

karen0205

Hi Pixie

I have the deck Tarot of a Moon Garden too and it's one of my favorites. It is rather confusing. I did read in the companion book that you are supposed to put your own meaning to the symbols but it would be nice to have an idea what the traditional meanings are. Try this website, it lists tarot symbols and their meanings: http://themysticeye.biz/info/tarotsymbols.htm

It might be helpful.

northsea

the Fool - staff has a net attached, holding a puppet, a paintbrush and dentures?
the Magician - a fantasy magician like Merlin, with a green dragon familiar
the High Priestess - the dolphin and seashells indicate water
the Lovers - the apple resting between two tree roots, a choice
Death - purple dragon - transformation
Temperance - unicorn - purity
ace of Staffs - castle - inheritance, unicorn - escapade, adventure
4 of Staffs - castle - tranquillity
5 of Staffs - crossed trees - struggle
7 of Staffs - large tree in center - advantage
9 of Staffs - person behind tree - hidden enemies, unicorn's horn pointed down - adversity
10 of Staffs - ?
4 of Cups - butterfly wings - transformation, meditation
5 of Cups - castle and hot balloon - incomplete inheritance, only one balloon load?
7 of Cups - castle in the sky - dreams
10 of Cups - ten butterflies
4 of Swords - crossed sword blocks away others - sanctuary, helmet removed - rest
7 of Swords - ? maybe a person running off with a sackful
4 of Pentacles - castle - hoard
10 of Pentacles - castle - home, riches

Myrrha

Moons and Stars

I usually lay out three cards for my daily readings with no set meanings for the positions. One thing I like to do is look to see what moons are in the spread. Are they waxing? Full? How close or far away are they?

Sometimes there are two waxing moons and a full moon, sometimes a full moon, a new moon and some stars. To me this sets a feeling for the reading more than an exact interpretation but generally new moons mean new beginings; waxing moons mean things are growing, increasing; waning moons mean things are decreasing, or time to let them go; full moons mean abundance, enchantment, blessings. The lemniscate on the magicians hat becomes quite interesting if you look at it with this in mind.

I have yet to get three full moons in my reading.

The single distant star in the Ten of Staffs seems to speak of guidance and persevering on to the goal. The single larger star on the High Priestess card speaks of guidance and navigation (stars were once used to steer by at sea, and a star guided the wise men to Bethlehem.) The star also shows the Priestess's consciousness drawn upward as well as inward.