RWS 1971 - To Bid or Not to Bid?

Richard

The copyright can be erased from my unplasticized RWS without any apparent damage to the card stock. I use an ordinary pencil eraser or a slightly more abrasive ink eraser (very, very lightly). I use a small piece of masking tape to protect the adjacent area. In the attachment, the card on the left has had the copyright removed, but not the one on the right.

Attachments

• erase.jpg
    erase.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 152

Yineth

I'm going to sound like a major sore loser here, but I lost the bid. Someone came in last minute and took it for 36 dollars.

...AUGH I WISH I WON >____<

[But it probably just means it wasn't meant to happen : /]

Thank you everyone who gave me feedback and a whole bunch of other info!

Bhavana

Hey, don't fret. There will be three more of them by the end of this week. Keep trying.

Yineth

Hey, don't fret. There will be three more of them by the end of this week. Keep trying.

Thanks, Bhavana. You're right; I shouldn't be getting upset over a short loss.

Looking at the positives, I have enough money to get a different deck (that isn't vintage, but still a nice deck all the same). I'm sure the RWS will show up for me when I'm less frazzled and able to focus on the crazy auctions :p

vee

There already are a few up!

I'm sorry you didn't get this one. But you'll get it eventually! :)

Yineth

There already are a few up!

I'm sorry you didn't get this one. But you'll get it eventually! :)

Shhhh... Be vewy vewy quiet. I'm hunting vintage decks :p

[Yes, I did see them and I'm currently monitoring three different auctions. I think the tarot bug has finally caught onto me o__o;; ]

Abrac

Yineth, if you have time to search through this forum, there are a lot of tricks you can learn to determine if a Waite-Smith deck is likely to have copyrights. As you said, sometimes the pictures aren't big enough to tell, but there are other ways to make an educated guess from the box or booklet. And yeah, if find an auction you really want to win, definitely don't say anything about it here. ;)

bogiesan

The copyright can be erased from my unplasticized RWS without any apparent damage to the card stock. I use an ordinary pencil eraser or a slightly more abrasive ink eraser (very, very lightly). I use a small piece of masking tape to protect the adjacent area. In the attachment, the card on the left has had the copyright removed, but not the one on the right.

Excellent. Never thought of doing that.
An eraser is still a weapon of sorts, is it not?

Yineth

@Abrac: My lips and fingers are sealed :p

@LRichard: I can't believe I missed this post. Deadly eraser is deadly! I'll definitely try this out if I ever get an un-laminated copy. Awesome tip :D

bogiesan

I'm going to sound like a major sore loser here, but I lost the bid. Someone came in last minute and took it for 36 dollars.

That's still more than I think the deck is worth, even unopened in original box. But now you know how to win the next one...$37.00 using a sniping program.