"Blue Moonstone"?

OakDragon

The sheen does move around, but it's always blue. Isn't moonstone usually opalescent (at least somewhat)? I'm going to try to take a pic of it now.

OakDragon

Ok. I took two pics of it, one with the flash on and one without. It's hard to get the color right, but I hope this will give an idea of what it's like.

Attachments

• Flash.jpg
    Flash.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 146
  • NoFlash.jpg
    NoFlash.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 145

catti

Tanzanite maybe?

Its really nice whatever it is! :)

Sulis

It doesn't look like moonstone to me and I think tanzanite has more of a purply, lilac tinge to it.

I have a moonstone ring that I've always thought of as being very blue. It's very pale and has a definate bluey hue to it but it's irredescent, a bit like opal but without all the colours.

I'll see if I can attach a picture.

Love Sulis xx

Attachments

• moonstone-ring.gif
    moonstone-ring.gif
    72.7 KB · Views: 138

OakDragon

catti said:
Tanzanite maybe?

I don't know. All the pics I see of tanzanite online are gem quality. Mine whateveritis has white wispy strands crisscrossing it.

Its really nice whatever it is! :)

Yes, it really is, which is why I will love it even if its not blue moonstone, but I am just curious what it really is.

OakDragon

Sulis said:
It doesn't look like moonstone to me and I think tanzanite has more of a purply, lilac tinge to it.

I have a moonstone ring that I've always thought of as being very blue. It's very pale and has a definate bluey hue to it but it's irredescent, a bit like opal but without all the colours.

I'll see if I can attach a picture.

Love Sulis xx

Yeah, that's how I would expect a blue moonstone to be, too. My stone is not at all like that, though.

Sulis

Oakie,

I've edited my post above to show a picture of my moonstone ring. All of the stones are the same colour and range from white to blue - in the picture the middle stone is the bluest. I'd expect blue moonstone to look like that with maybe a little more blue.

It's a little like a cross between mother of pearl and opal but bluer (if you know what I mean).

Love
Sulis xx

OakDragon

Nope, that's not it. Ah, well. The search continues...

Leleii

Blue Chalcedony? or Aura Aura?

OakDragon

I don't think it's chalcedony, and I've never heard of "Aura aura". What is that like?

I have the feeling it's either something (maybe even moonstone, just maybe) with a layer of quartz on top, or something like quartz with a backing of some sort on it. Depending on the angle of the light, you can see the sheen. Otherwise it looks like a blue stone with white lines crisscrossing it.