Tarot Certification Board of America - a critical appraisal

abella

jmd said:
There is also, for those two 'levels', an assumption that an increase in the number of cards used is somehow indicative of greater reading skill. In my personal experience, this may in fact be quite incorrect. A reader who enters the divinatory 'space' may narrate a whole hour's reading (as an example) using only a single card.

A reader who only ever uses up to three cards in their reading is nonetheless presumed to somehow be, by the TCBA, inferior to those who use greater number of cards in a spread.

That's why I don't understand why some readers identify how many cards as related to how much they will charge the client. I could go on for at least a half hour with just one card and the majority of my readings are 3-6 cards so yeah (and I still do larger spreads like Celtic or Zodiac but it's often not necessary... :)

As an aside I do have certification but it is for a good and useful reason (and ultimately not for me -- I don't need an organization telling me I can read (the stamp of approval) when the people that most count are my clients). :)

firecatpickles

jmd said:
f one wants to be called a 'Grand Master' under TCBA certification, then they first have to be a 'Certified Tarot Instructor (CTI)', which has, as part of its requirement, that:
"Taught students who qualify to become certified for a total of twenty-five certification levels."

25 times US$50 is, for each 'CTI' under the TCBA, US$12 550, and for each Certified Tarot Grand Master, at least US$12 600.
Otherwise known as a pyramid scheme. Your observation IMAO totally negates and disqualifies this procedure as not authentic, or perhaps illegal!

In the US (and I am not sure where this "certification" originates), only States' powers have the authority to issue licenses. All over forms of licensures and certifications are unacceptable unless conferred by a federal or state governmental body.

I cannot seriously consider this.

K:spade:K

gregory

I don't know about other countries, but I THINK pyramid selling is now illegal in the UK..... I don't know about pyramid certification.... Nasty stuff though. I wouldn't touch it.

abella

gregory said:
I don't know about other countries, but I THINK pyramid selling is now illegal in the UK..... I don't know about pyramid certification.... Nasty stuff though. I wouldn't touch it.

I saw that pyramid thing too and I was like "huh, you are joking -- right??!" You certify me if I refer you to 25 people... hmm... curious... :)

jmd

It has just been brought to my attention that this board is making claims without any warrant: where, please do tell, is it true, that, with regards to tarot (which is of course not specified, but implied):
"in some cases, certification is required by local laws in order to practice professionally"​
This is the kind of incredible falsehood promulgated to the gullible, and for which the aspiring professional reader may, trusting the honesty of the board, believes without checking - especially given the creditable list of "tarot grand masters" listed!

See their page About the TCBA for the quote above.

Gavriela

That sounds pretty fear-based to me. It also makes the TCBA sound as if it's a local or national regulatory board (as in legal authority), which it is not.

Durant Hapke

I don't have a box that size...

Brothers, and Sisters,

Jack bird why I'd feel compelled to comment on this is a big bucket of "who knows," but the web site of this organization (the TCBA) is very funky, and shaky shake a "what?" kind of deal.

I'm not that into it.

Durant "kick a can" Hapke

gregory

I am not a big certification fan - but other threads here and elsewhere have pointed out that in some areas you do have to be ordained to be allowed to read legally; maybe, then, there are indeed places where certification is required. Nothing would surprise me.

Gavriela

Nobody's ever mentioned in which jurisdictions one is legally required to be certified by the TCBA to read tarot (if true, it is going to have rather a significant impact on our American friends). Perhaps someone could enlighten us as to the where's, and what the TCBA's legal status is as a state or national regulatory body?

We don't want anybody going to gaol for overlooking it.

gregory

There was an incident reported in a thread from some paper not so long ago.... It was SOMEWHERE in the US.....

It didn't say who you had to be certified by (and to be fair, nor does the TCBA site) but it was an issue about non-certification....