Top Ten essential tarot titles

Le Fanu

Will do :)

I'm sure that Huson's book is interesting, it's just that I feel I have enough right now on the History side of things. I mean, I have read Wicked Pack of Cards (Decker &c), History of the Occult tarot, plus Decker's Art & Arcana and the excellent History pages in Place's Tarot of the Saints / Vampire tarot etc etc.

What I feel I need is a good "reading methodology" book. Approaches to reading without "keywords" (Tarot Plain & Simple is great for that)

I do believe it is possible to build up a high quality tarot library and widen one's knowledge without buying more than ten volumes! Im trying to avoid those flim-flam/impulse buy/pretty pictures/ content-free books which are so easy to come across!

Libra8ca

Le Fanu said:
Will do :)
What I feel I need is a good "reading methodology" book. Approaches to reading without "keywords" (Tarot Plain & Simple is great for that)

I do believe it is possible to build up a high quality tarot library and widen one's knowledge without buying more than ten volumes!

Le Fanu, I am also looking for some good "reading methodolody" books, and haven't come across that many and I agree that a few quality books should suffice. I have Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis and although it isn't bad, I'm not sure if it would make my top 10 since I haven't found it that useful honestly. I have been thinking about getting one of Rachel Pollack's books but I'm afraid it's going to be similar to the Tarot Plain and Simple book. I currently have the following items in my Amazon shopping cart and am thinking about them (so any feedback would be appreciated):
A Magical Course in Tarot (mentioned earlier in this thread)
The Original Tarot and You (mentioned in another thread here)
Sacred Tarot Deck and Book (I read the book is quite good so I am thinking about getting this for the book)
The book "Tarot of an Old Gypsy" I mentioned earlier actually has some good practical reading methodology and I do recommend it. It is so weird that I would get it just for that! It feels like an old gypsy who doesn't speak English that well typed this in her caravan on an old typewriter where the "Cap" key was stuck and then had it published!
Aside from that I also found the LWB that came with the Deviant Moon the best I have read so far; so I'd love to see a book for that.
Looking forward to more suggestions.

Greg Stanton

Le Fanu said:
I'm sure that Huson's book is interesting, it's just that I feel I have enough right now on the History side of things.
Even though the Huson is heavy on history, it contains a wealth of other material that is invaluable. He meticulously compares given meanings for each card from a variety of sources, and also suggests his own interpretations. There's a great section at the end of the book that outlines the features of the various styles of tarot. Also, an excellent section on reading that describes the use of a Significator card. It's also an incredibly witty and entertaining book to read. Absolutely worth every penny.

AJ

jdm's course materials on the tdm.

Tansey Ella

I have heard the book pooh poohed, but I find it to be very interesting . So many of the questions people ask deal with relationships of the romantic sort. So when I found " Tall dark Stranger, Tarot for Love and Romance" by Corrine Kenner I thought it was worth looking at. The cover reminds me of the Art Nouveau tarot decks -but that is a minor issue. The book is great, easy to read and anyone can understand it.

Le Fanu

AJ said:
jdm's course materials on the tdm.
I've heard this legendary course mentioned/whispered here :). Where Oh where do I find it? Is it a paid course, or is it something here at AT??

sapienza

Le Fanu said:
What I feel I need is a good "reading methodology" book.
I will be interested to see if you feel that Rachel Pollack's 'Tarot Wisdom' meets that criteria. I was fortunate enough to attend a weekend workshop she held here in Brisbane and she is a wealth of information and a wonderful storyteller. However, I've always struggled with her writing style. Personally, I think she speaks far better than she writes.

sapienza

Le Fanu said:
I've heard this legendary course mentioned/whispered here :). Where Oh where do I find it? Is it a paid course, or is it something here at AT??

oops, cross posted. jmd offered a free internet course awhile back, I'm not sure if he still does. I started it, but unfortunately life got in the way. The material is excellent though. It's specifically focused on working with the Noblet deck. I was only yesterday thinking of contacting him to see if it's still being offered so I can maybe take up where I left off.

gregory

Le Fanu said:
jmd runs courses here from time to time, but PM him and he'll tell you.