Top Ten essential tarot titles

Le Fanu

sapienza said:
I will be interested to see if you feel that Rachel Pollack's 'Tarot Wisdom' meets that criteria. I was fortunate enough to attend a weekend workshop she held here in Brisbane and she is a wealth of information and a wonderful storyteller. However, I've always struggled with her writing style. Personally, I think she speaks far better than she writes.
Changed my mind... just ordered Paul Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot. After researching it and listening to comments here, I think I might find this the more stimulating read right now.

Morgane_49

I just finished Rachel Pollack's "Tarot Wisdom". I thoroughly enjoyed it - especially the wisdom spreads she provided for each of the Major Arcana cards, and for each suit. (This is not a book I would recommend for base meanings...They are there, but you'll work hard for them, if you're not interested in reading the entire book!)

I also really like "Tarot Plain and Simple" by Anthony Louis, and Sarah Bartlett's "Tarot Bible".

gregory

Le Fanu said:
Changed my mind... just ordered Paul Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot. After researching it and listening to comments here, I think I might find this the more stimulating read right now.
Yes yes I win !!! :D

*sorry, but that did get my BIG vote !*

You won't regret it. It's so YOU.

Then you will have to find some Mamluk cards, of course :)

Le Fanu

gregory said:
Yes yes I win !!! :D

*sorry, but that did get my BIG vote !*
Indeed. Also it was what Greg Stanton said about it being not just a history book. And Sapienza, and some others, but - yes - mainly you :). Plus I remember how traumatised I was after reading Rachel Pollock's two Haindl companion books :bugeyed:

firefrost

I've only just seen this thread - typical of me!

One title I've not see mentioned is:

Pictures from the Heart, a tarot dictionary by Sandra A Thomson.

Sounds fluffy but isn't and served me well in my early days at TABI, a few years ago. It's stood alongside 78 Degrees on my bookshelf all that time!

sapienza

Le Fanu said:
Indeed. Also it was what Greg Stanton said about it being not just a history book. And Sapienza, and some others, but - yes - mainly you :). Plus I remember how traumatised I was after reading Rachel Pollock's two Haindl companion books :bugeyed:

I hope you like the book :)

As for the Haindl companions.....did you actually get through them both? I've started a few times but seem to hit a wall and just give up. Same with 'Forest of Souls'.

Wendywu

I've been known to look thoughtfully at the Haindl books, and then turn away to something a little less obscure, like a nice complicated balance sheet .......

Le Fanu

Yes I have read both of the Haindl books (for those who were doubting my intellectual capacity. LOL), because it is a deck I quite like and really thought I was going to work with.

However, that sense that the whole of the Universe, all civilizations and all conceivable religions and Myths - and then some - are included in the Haindl intimidated me somewhat...

gregory

Le Fanu said:
Yes I have read both of the Haindl books (for those who were doubting my intellectual capacity. LOL), because it is a deck I quite like and really thought I was going to work with.

However, that sense that the whole of the Universe, all civilizations and all conceivable religions and Myths - and then some - are included in the Haindl intimidated me somewhat...
Yes that is my issue with the Haindl - though I don't have the books.

But had I doubted your intellect I wouldn't have suggested Huson. Not that it's hard - but it isn't for the brainless. :)

Wendywu

Nah, it all gets too complicated for me and she loses me ....

goes and stands in thickie corner ......