2 of Wands in Estensi

Emily

Reading this thread has reminded me of just why I traded this deck on - the colouring is lovely but all that glitters is not gold in this deck - and some of the images were to bizarre even for me to try and read.

sapienza

I traded this deck away some time ago because I knew I'd never be able to read with it due to some of the images, including the delightful 2 of Wands. However, of late I've been considering getting another copy as I'm sure it will one day be out of print and then I'll regret letting it go. It is an interesting deck to refer to if you start delving into tarot history.

Cerulean said:
it doesn't matter...the image is too horrid. Everyone asks the same question. People don't see this in my review on aeclectic.net before asking. Ah well!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/card...ce/review.shtml
Thanks for the link Cerulean. Is that a recent review? I don't remember it being there back when I had the deck. Anyway, after reading your review I'm even more keen to pick up another copy. :)

karenquilter

sapienza said:
I traded this deck away some time ago...However, of late I've been considering getting another copy as I'm sure it will one day be out of print and then I'll regret letting it go....I'm...keen to pick up another copy. :)

I'm sure that there will be several offerred on the trading forum after people see this thread!
K

SolSionnach

I'm looking at the card and wondering if the pic would benefit from the judicious use of a sharpie?

Then I read the post quoting Lutenist (thanks Debra) and I wonder - were all those questionable cards in this deck that Lutenist is talking about? That makes the deck sound like a complete wreck of horribleness. But I love the Charles VI, and for that reason have always considered the deck.

so... Sharpie, you guys?

rwcarter

Nah, no Sharpie for me. But I will go out on a limb with a possible interpretation for this card based on the imagery. :D

When male dogs have their testicles snipped (I can never remember which is spaying and which is neutering), they tend to lose much of their aggressiveness and territorial tendencies. I don't know if the same thing happens to men (mine are in tact, and no, I don't want to put the theory to the test ;)), but the rather calm look on the man's face could be relief - relief from having to get married and father children, relief from having to provide for himself and/or his family, relief from having to fight to protect what's his, etc.

He looks relatively young and therefore probably has little life experience, so this might also relate to a drastic solution to a problem that's not as big as one thinks it is, i.e., overreacting to something.

It could also suggest not fully thinking a situation through before taking action and the action having unintended consequences.

Rodney

Le Fanu

Nice to see Rodney actually get as far as contemplating and speculating on this card. Whenever the subject comes up of the Estensi 2 of Wands, I just run away...

Parzival

2of Wands Estensi

Amazing how one supremely ugly yet historically symbolic card can destroy 78 cards, including many magnificent ones. I have this deck, so the question comes after this thread (with operation) : to keep or not to keep (the deck,that is). I really like most of the deck, especially the majors and aces.

sapienza

I suggest keeping it. My new philosophy is that not all decks need to be used for reading. There are many other good reasons to have a deck. Sometimes they are helpful to refer to or just to admire. So, I guess it depends on what you want from your decks. But I expect it will soon be out of print and impossible to find so if you think you may want it one day, probably best to hold onto it. Just my thoughts.

tarotbear

Amazing how one supremely ugly yet historically symbolic card can destroy 78 cards, including many magnificent ones. I have this deck, so the question comes after this thread (with operation) : to keep or not to keep (the deck,that is). I really like most of the deck, especially the majors and aces.

I just wanted to add that it wasn't all that long ago the 'The Last Castrati' died - what do you think of a world so sick that they 'preserved' young boys with beautiful voices by castrating them? What did the little boys have to say about this? 'Yes - I want to sing like a girl forever so go ahead and cut my balls off'? Castrati were treated like royalty ... so maybe appearing calm (like the figure in this myth) was some kind of sick-o trade-off they convinced these young men about.

There are recordings of the last castrati - made in the 1920s when he was in his 60s I think - an eerie, scary, unworldly sound.

Wendywu

There's an interesting program (in several parts) about castrati on Youtube. It says they got the sound for the singing in the Farinelli film by blending a really good countertenor with a computer simulator and the resultant castrati sound is just amazing. According to the history books Farinelli was the greatest of the castrati . The whole film "Farinelli" is on Youtube as well. It is heartbreaking.

Personally I love countertenor singing (specifically Philippe Jaroussky) but it isn't to everyone's taste.

I like the idea of the Estensi 2 Wands as being one so depressed he can't bring himself to notice or care that an essential part of himself has gone but I'm still not at all sure that I could read for someone else with that deck. Especially a man - their shock should I draw that card for them would overshadow the whole reading (quite understandably!)