a new book on TdM reading

Yoav Ben-Dov

please also note that in this book "figure" usually refers to a human figure. otherwise to avoid confusion i say "object", or (when relevant) "suit symbol", e.g. for the aces.

Le Fanu

the text that you are referring to appears in the chapter 5 titled "the major suit", so this is the suit referred to, not the pip cards which are treated in later chapters.
Thanks for clarifying. The passage I quoted was not actually from chapter 5. It is from pages 60-61 and chapter 5 "The Major Suit" starts on page 71 of the book. It isn't actually stipulated that it is a chapter dealing with the Majors, though all the pictures included in the chapter are Majors. I think the reference to the "suits" is a little misleading. I genuinely was trying to picture something happening in the bottom half of the pip cards and thinking "what on earth am I missing?" Might be something to clarify in later editions (?)

But anyway, I am really enjoying the book and finding it useful and following it well. But those two pages completely threw me.

Thank you for this book. It is such an enriching read.

Yoav Ben-Dov

i am sorry, le fanu! you are right, and i got mixed up between this passage and a similar consideration which is in "parts of the suit" in the next chapter.. i am so involved in the text..

i do mention the major suit in the previous section ("horizontal axis") and further down (on the third level, th abyss, p. 61) but i should have added "major" to avoid confusion at the begining this section.. i think i will do so, this is a print-on-demand book and corrections are always possible.

thank you! and sorry for the blunder!

Yoav Ben-Dov

just another note on the same point - for the number cards of the minor suits, the meaning of the vertical axis (up and down) is different than in the other cards of the decks. this is because they don't have the "spiritual" dimension of the major cards, and they show no meaningful difference between left and right in the horizontal axis. thus, i interpret the vertical axis of the number cards as a time development (in all four suits), or sometimes as relations of hierarchy (in the soft suits - coins and cups). see pp. 212- for this.

Le Fanu

I'll get there! I'm reading a bit every night before going to bed. It's a wonderful read, I'm enjoying the insights and the approach very much. Really making me think in a different way about the historical decks.

Yoav Ben-Dov

Really making me think in a different way about the historical decks.

Le Fanu, coming from someone with your knowledge and background this is a big compliment. thank you.

Gulliver

Congratulations for winning the 2013 Tarosophists Award for the Tarot Book of the Year (self-published)! I can confirm that "Tarot - The Open Reading" is a real treasure.

Yoav Ben-Dov

thank you Gulliver!

BSwett

Yoav,
How fun to be reading a book and having the medium to personally thank the writer. Fantastic read! Thank you very much!

Yoav Ben-Dov

big big like, BSwett! thank you.