Sola Busca Study

conurelover

Is anyone interested in studying the Sola Busca? I have used it for two months in the deck of the month and am now stuck on the Trumps.

If there is already a study group, can someone please point me in the right direction?

dancing_moon

I'm intrigued by this deck too, though I don't have it, and I haven't been able to find any study groups. The threads that do discuss Sola Busca seem to focus more on the various editions, versions and books about it rather than the cards themselves.

Perhaps, if you start off yourself and I join you (I can find some scans to look at), others will come along. :)

Maskelyne

I've been wanting to get into this deck for some time now. This week I finally succumbed and ordered a copy of the Mayer edition, plus a copy of Sofia Di Vincenzo's book about the deck, so I hope to have something to talk about in a few weeks.

conurelover

Wonderful! I am glad there is interest. Maybe we can get something going here! I think I thought this deck would be a one month thing and done. It is not.

I have the book by Giordano Berti. At this point I feel as if I have a grasp on the minors. I, however, am having trouble getting past Il Mato. I journal each card which is a big help.

dancing_moon

Does Giordano Berti's book cover the Majors as well?

As far as I understand, the Majors in SB depict various Greek, Roman and Biblical personalities. So reading up on them would probably be the first step. How are you planning to go about that? :)

conurelover

Does Giordano Berti's book cover the Majors as well?

As far as I understand, the Majors in SB depict various Greek, Roman and Biblical personalities. So reading up on them would probably be the first step. How are you planning to go about that? :)

Okay this was very ditzy of me. Giordano Berti wrote the preface. All these months on AT I have been posting that I have the book by Berti! DUH! The book is by Sofia!

We have the same book then. Sofia's book covers the Majors but she makes no mention of who they may depict historically.

The majors are all male. XX looks like the Strength card in certain Italian decks. XXI does resemble the World card. This is where I get stuck. None of the other cards resemble what we use in traditional tarot Trumps. They are harder than the Minchiate.

When I studied each suit I researched the historical figures depicted in the court cards. That was a tremendous help for me. I have that all written down and journaled each of them.

I suppose I could try to research who is on each Trump. XXI is from the Bible. I have a feeling the others are historical Roman figures.

Let me know when you get your deck! :)

dancing_moon

I was actually thinking about that too - researching each character on the Majors, perhaps, without trying to directly link them to the corresponding 'traditional' Majors, and see what comes of it. :)

It might be a long time before I do buy the actual deck, though. :D It's quite costly, so it might be somewhere around the summer or even later. However, I'm going to start the research using Internet scans. Even if I end up not buying the deck at all, it's fascinating to research anyway. :)

dancing_moon

Thanks a lot, Maskelyne! This is really a helpful start. :)