What was the first deck you owned?

Emeraldgirl

Mythic Tarot I was 11 and it was given to me by my friend's mum as a sorry you're moving gift she taught me some quick basics and it sort of grew from there.

Tesseljoan

A (way to big to shuffle) RWS. It was a christmas gift from my mother when I was 15 years old.

13thFaeChylde

Tarot of the Old Path was my first.

Sophie

RWS. I quickly realised that despite its charm, I didn't like the fuzzy faces and overloaded symbolism, but kept it for study and reference. I acquired deck number two after a few weeks (for pleasure) - the Morgan Greer. I liked it but something always bothered me - all those Village People men in it...still it was my main reading deck for quite a while. I then moved radically to the Thoth, and enjoyed it immensely but never read for other people with it - not sure why. Something about Crowley himself repulsed me so much that when I moved I left the Thoth behind - I regretted it. I have recently acquired another Thoth (also a large format), and decided to divorce the makers from their creation (both old Al and Frieda Harris, who was a wonderful artist but seriously loony). One day a reader used the Mythic, I fell in love and my reading life took on a new lease. It replaced the Morgan Greer (which I gave away) as my main reading deck, and was much beloved for many years and through many adventures. Some time later, at the instigation of a friend, I acquired the Robin Wood, which I found easy to read with, despite not really liking the drawings (except for the wonderful 2 of pentacles).

Then, a few months ago, I met the Marseille and I have found my stable mate for life. Even though I am tarot-polyamorous. Let's say the Marseille is my official consort but I have many lovers. Two other decks have wowed me and become solid favourites - the Tarot of Prague and the DruidCraft. But I enjoy many others, and a couple of weeks ago did a reading with the Mythic - the first in almost a year - which I enjoyed hugely, but the past intimacy - it was a part of me during my years in the wars - had gone.

Junia

Pop/Rock Tarot Calendar of 1972 - bought it for myself when I was 12. I just recently got a copy of the original card fronts with a very nice handwritten letter from the artist.

Annabelle

I was about 16 or 17, if memory serves, and I bought it for myself from Waldenbooks in the local mall. This was way back when Waldenbooks actually carried a fair number of different tarot decks. Oh, and the deck...it was the Aquarian.

huredriel

13thFaeChylde said:
Tarot of the Old Path was my first.
Same here, 6 months ago, age 36. Late to tarot I'm afraid :(, oh and I bought it for myself

jayde

new2angels said:
And how old were you when you got it?Was it a gift or did you buy it yourself?

I can't exactly remember now, but I think it was the Universal Rider. But, I quickly changed to Thoth soon after that. Which I then quickly changed to Haindl and stuck with that deck for years. ;)

I was in 5th grade when I began working with Tarot cards. So...about 11-12 yrs old. I bought it myself, much to my parents nervousness. I remember my Mom originally asked me, "You're not getting into any of that...dark cult stuff, are you?"

Riversea

The 1st edition Vertigo, bought it for myself mostly as a collectable. I was reading the Sandman Comics at the time, and collecting the trading cards, so when the tarot deck came out... it was just logical to get one.

I only read a few times with the majors (book in hand!). A couple of years later, my husband bought a Lord of the Rings Tarot (never took a shine to that one!).

My first reading deck was the Universal Waite that I bought for myself. That was about three years ago. Many other decks have followed, including the Baroque Bohemian Cats which just arrived two days ago.

Of course, packrat collector that I am, I still have the Vertigo and the LotR decks. Still don't read much with them, though.

The Dreamer

First deck I owned was the Russian of St Petersburg. But I don't consider it my first deck. The first deck I used, (online) when I was 21, was the Haindl. It completely blew my mind. I would do automated readings on an online site, lots of one card draws and spreads which I would print out to mull over. After that Haindl experience, I tried some of the other decks online but stuck mostly with the Haindl, consulting it regularly about burning issues from the past, future and present.

When I was 23 I bought the Russian of St Petersburg at the prompting of my brother, who knew how much I used tarot. It was the only deck at the store I went to. I had been afraid to use a physical deck due to religious warnings about the occult. I recall how afraid I was to even touch the cards once I had them. And their strange darkness really added to that. It seemed so exotic and scary. (Funny to look back on that now that my St Petersburg has become my most used deck- it's all gummy with dirt or some strange reaction of the gold paint to something or other.)

Soon after the St Petersburg I got the Haindl. I was so amazed that the store even had it- for some reason I had thought I'd never see it as physical deck, that it must be rare. It was so beautiful to have one in my hands. It's still in very good condition- not overused. Special.

Lots of decks since then.

I seem to have just turned another corner with my new Gendron- it's the first deck I'm using without the book. The descriptions just don't seem to match the pictures, and my intuition has prompted me to use it without the book at all. It's working. (And this after having posted recently a lot about how I always use the books.) I'll probably keep using the book with decks I use the book on- or maybe not. I'll see what happens.