Rider Waite Tarot

Culgrin

I've been reading many posts on the different Rider Waite decks which have been very interesting as i didn't know there were that many difference between the standard and the original.
I currently have the Original Rider Waite, and this morning i received the standard Rider Waite in the yellow box, however it has the computerised font for the titles rather than the ones that look handwritten.
Does anyone know where i could purchase a new Rider Waite deck in the UK with the normal titles and the plaid backs?
I have looked at a lot of places but can't find one.

I have found one on playingcardsales.com which is entitles the Standard Rider Waite Tarot by AG Muller, and the picture with it looks like the one i am after. I have contacted them just to make sure if they do have the right titles or not.
http://www.playingcardsales.co.uk/cards/moreimages/complete_rwt_25.jpg

Citrin

I have those titles too, in Swedish. I don't like it at all, it ruins the old feeling of the cards. :( Just like you, I'm looking for the original with English, normal titles.

Lillie

It is possible that all new decks have the printed font, rather than those lovely hand written ones, (By Pamela Colman Smith herself, I believe) Which add so much to the look and feel of these cards.

You may be better off getting an old deck off Ebay UK. Look for the ones in the yellow magician box, and the ones in the pale blue box with the world dancer on, These last ones are by Rider rather than USG, but the cards and the backs are the same. I think at that time USG and Rider worked together and the Rider ones are the same as the other but for the british market.
Some of the ones in the dark box with the fool and the world on will be OK. but perhaps not all.

Most ebay auctions show scans of the actual cards rather than stock photos that may be out of date, so you will be able to see if they have the nice writing.

At present there are a couple of auctions for the pale blue boxes. I can't post the links here, but if you cant find them tell me and I can send you the links in PM.

Also, if you are buying off ebay, ask the seller if all the cards are there and in good condition.
Some sellers know nothing about Tarot and do not really know how many cards there should be.

Culgrin

Thanks.
I've seen the ones on ebay, so i'll have another look afterwards :)

rainwolf

I bought my rider in the package with the 'tarot for dummies' book. I have the handwritten titles, so i think--they are not nice font like a computer, but rather a script style or something along the lines of that. I didn't know people would like the handwritten style ones!

Culgrin

Yeah, i think they fit with the cards a lot better than the typed font.

I'll have a look for that book set now, thanks!

Culgrin

rainwolf said:
I bought my rider in the package with the 'tarot for dummies' book. I have the handwritten titles, so i think--they are not nice font like a computer, but rather a script style or something along the lines of that. I didn't know people would like the handwritten style ones!

I've just found the book and deck set on amazon for just over £13.
When did you purchase the set?
I might order it next week if it has the normal handwritten titles.

[edit]
which version of the book do you have, i seen 2 different covers so far.
The one on amazon which looks like this:
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/1572813547.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and the one on USGames which looks like this:
http://www.usgamesinc.com/newstore/product_image.php?imageid=200

rainwolf

I bought it over two years ago so i don't know if they changed it--publishers change their products all the time. eBay might have it, but i don't know if they will have the font you want.

Fulgour

a little secret

Decks printed with computerized (typeset) titles may be
distinguished by looking carefully at the back of the box:

If you see the name Pamela Colman Smith in bold letters,
the deck in that box will have typeset titles every time.

There are many versions, but this is the best way to avoid
the unfortunate heritage we've been handed by USGames.