gregory

Lillie said:
Mandragora Press
31 St. Martins Lane
London
WC2N 4EY.

<snip>
Is your address in Fleet st?
Yes mine is in Fleet Street - 60 Fleet Street London EC4 (and oddly, this is on a gold sticker on the box; I don't want to peel it off and see what it says underneath.... but oddly, the last 2 letters of the first line are "ne" !!!

But I did say "about 72" - you never know....

Lillie said:
The sun.
The funny coloured sun in my deck is not the sun card, but the sun in the fool card.
The one at the top of the card, In mine it is yellow. In others on the net it is orange.
My fool's sun is brilliant orange. On the cover of the Penguin book I have it is yellow.

gregory

Adam McLean said:
Regarding this block colour we can see this as used in an insensitive way in the Death card from original Sheridan Deck. Here the background is a dark blue, but this covers the details in the background, so that the sky is not differentiated from the landscape, and the body parts, the heads and limbs are enveloped in the blue and so do not stand out at all. We see the same insensitive use of block colour on the 10 of Coins, King of Coins and many other of the cards. This suggests that no artist had a hand in the colouring !

Adam
Not sure I agree - if you are trying to do something with block colouring, this seems valid enough. it would be fussy if all the details were in different colours - even block ! The details show up well enough to see; that's what really counts ! (that and that maybe it all makes you meditate harder on the cards ?)

truelighth

Adam McLean said:
The Polish book is in Polish. I have a copy. The drawings of the cards have the titles in Polish. There are three coloured images of cards on the back cover - Strength, the Hanged man and Death. The colours are totally different from those in the original Sheridan Deck, but are in the same style, that is, the colour is block graphic colour with no modelling.

Do you only have the Polish book, or do you also have the Polish deck? Because there is also a card version of this remake. I actually only have the card version and not the book. Just being curious. And yes, the colours are totally different.

Adam McLean

I only have the book. The cards must be quite rare.

Now if only there were a Polish Ebay !

Perhaps it might be timely to make a survey
of Polish tarot cards.

Best wishes,

Adam

gregory

Adam McLean said:
Perhaps it might be timely to make a survey of Polish tarot cards.
If you want one, truelighth's your - er - person !

oh - and ps - some of the cards of the Polish Sheridan deck are on tarotgarden - here. The colours are indeed very different. I want one now !

Lillie

How odd.

I knew about the fleet st addresss, because of the question on Ebay.
The deck that sold there last week had St Martins Lane on the box, but Fleet Street on the leaflet.

Because of the postcodes I was thinking that they had moved from St Martins Lane to Fleet st.
But, if your sticker is covering the St Martins Lane address with a Fleet St one, it would imply that it is the other way around...

On my book, the Fools sun is Orange, but it is yellow on the card. (in my deck)

Oh well, very odd.

And now I have seen the scans I can say for cetain that my deck is not the Polish one.

gregory

Weird question......... does anyone know if Alfred Douglas is still around.... Maybe he could shed some light on it all ? Or, indeed David Sheridan....

Lillie

Yeah! good question!

Who were they?

There is a pic of Douglas on the back fly leaf of my book.
He looks dark and mysterious.
Far younger than anyone called Alfred ought to look.
But I suppose it was a long time ago.

gregory

PS (I am downloading desks for Orphalese, and thought I would research a bit on the side):

From Mary Greer’s Tarot Timeline (on Passages) (in which I feel there can be no errors; she is just too thorough for that !)

1972 Tarot Cards designed by David Sheridan, published by Mandragora Press, 31 St. Martin’s Lane, London, “with full instructions by Alfred Douglas.”

1972 The Tarot: The Origin, Meaning and Uses of the Cards by Alfred Douglas, card illustrations by David Sheridan, published in the UK by Victor Gollancz, Ltd., London and by Taplinger Publishing Co., NY.

And from the review of the book on passages:

One of my personal favorite tarot books is a small volume by Alfred Douglas called The Tarot: The Origins, Meanings and Other Uses of the Cards. Douglas' book is one that has never sold as well as some other tarot texts, but which most modern tarot scholars respect quite highly. First published in 1972, this book has original drawings (my italics) of the Tarot by David Sheridan. Sheridan's black and white line drawings are light-hearted and whimsical, but they are strongly connected to traditional tarot symbolism.

From another site:

Douglas, Alfred, TAROT, THE
Illustrator Sheridan designed a deck to accompany the book. This is the best of the Tarot "cookbooks," and still the best introductory text I've read. Douglas' interpretations are Jungian in nature, and help to understand the complex symbolism.

Doulgas also wrote another classic on the I-Ching. He's described on one website I found as an occultist....

Lee

Lillie said:
Far younger than anyone called Alfred ought to look.
My copy of his book says he was born in 1942, which means he was only 30 when his book was published. I'm impressed!

-- Lee