200 £ for a Sheridan deck!

gregory

I am even more impressed to realise that he is only 2 years older than MOI. He should then still be around unless I am closer to my conclusion than I think....

Found some more:

Alfred Douglas was born in England in 1942. Inspired by his family's interest in arcane traditions, he began to study occult symbolism, when he was still very young, His attraction to Oriental beliefs and practices led to his first full-length work. How to Consult the I Ching, published in 1971. He is a member of the College of Psychic Studies, the celebrated society for Psychical Research - the oldest organization of its kind in the world.

A regular contributor to the Journal Prediction and a frequent guest on British radio and television. Dougles divides his time between an apartment in London and a home in Whitby, where Bram Stoker wrote Dracula, on a rugged coast of the Yorkshire moors.

Lillie

Here we are!

This isn't mine, but it's like mine with the yellow sun.

Another one on Ebay, by the way.

Starts at £100

But the kind seller has scanned up every card in the deck, so, anyone who wants one, get right clicking, save piccies as, and print 'em out!

Attachments

• Sheridan fool.jpg
    Sheridan fool.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 97

gregory

WELL, that sorts out a lot ! That is mine to a T except the colours. So it looks like the print runs didn't match up properly, and this deck is without the gold sticker mine has, with the other address on, which presumably (as I suggested) covers the older address. And note the Q & A :

Hi Could you tell me wether the backs of these cards are a plain dark purple, or a mottled white/purple colour. From your discription I would imagine the former, but as both backs exist, I would like to be sure. Thank you for your time.
04-Oct-05
A: They are indeed the plain dark purple and NOT the later purple/white backs

LATER purple white backs - that's Lillie's.

Lillie

How curious!

So, this seller is saying the white and purple backs are later.
I wonder how he knows that.

There are also the colours. His fool is the same as my fool, but not the same as yours, gregory.
So, that would mean the orange sun is older and the yellow sun later.
Therefore, yours has the early backs and the early fool, his has the early backs but the later fool, Mine are later for both.

But, the addresses!
I understand how your sticker makes the Fleet st address look later than St Martins Lane.
But, the postcodes would make fleet st earlier.
And... if mine are later (by the backs) then why would they have the earlier (st Martins Lane) address on?

Gregory, I assume yours has Fleet st on the leaflet.
Maybe they moved and moved back...

All this assumes that what is under your sticker is St Martins Lane, not some other Lane.

Little Baron

coredil said:
I wonder if one get "special" answers when reading on such an expensive deck.
Uups

I very much doubt it. I think that just about any deck would create this much interest if it was not that easy to come by. The illustrations in many other decks are just as interesting, if not more compelling. Can you imagine if it was the Thoth, Hadar or Original RWS that was in the same position? Those decks are just as good as this one, if not better, so I think that if a deck works for you, it doesn't matter whether it is available every book shop in the world or not.

Just a few thoughts that probably make little sense as I am very tired and need my bed.

LB

gregory

Lillie said:
How curious!

So, this seller is saying the white and purple backs are later.
I wonder how he knows that.

There are also the colours. His fool is the same as my fool, but not the same as yours, gregory.
So, that would mean the orange sun is older and the yellow sun later.
Therefore, yours has the early backs and the early fool, his has the early backs but the later fool, Mine are later for both.

But, the addresses!
I understand how your sticker makes the Fleet st address look later than St Martins Lane.
But, the postcodes would make fleet st earlier.
And... if mine are later (by the backs) then why would they have the earlier (st Martins Lane) address on?

Gregory, I assume yours has Fleet st on the leaflet.
Maybe they moved and moved back...

All this assumes that what is under your sticker is St Martins Lane, not some other Lane.
No Lillie – that wasn’t quite what I meant. I reckon the colour matching just went off during the print runs – like when you go to Klick one day and your photos are fine and the next day the same ones are just awful. I think it's likely as simple as that – and also that mine was probably printed at the same time as the one on e-bay but then they moved and stuck the stickers over the address. (but ran out of stickers before they got to yours and couldn’t be bothered to reprint… :grin: ?)
And reprinted the instructions – as mine DO indeed have the Fleet Street address, though the e-bay one doesn't ! People were very sloppy about postcodes in the early days though. Many of my London friends at the time hung on to the old ones as a protest; others leapt in with the new. It seemed to be pretty random for a while !

Lillie

Well, I expect you are right.

The thing is that I found various scans of various cards on the net, and I thought I was seeing 2 particular types.

One typified by the yellow sun, and the other by the orange sun.
There were other differences that seemed to be consistent, rather than the random differences you might find if it were just different mixes of ink.
There was a pink and a red background on the firebreather, if I remember right.

But now I cannot find the scans I was looking at on the net. And really I would have to find far more scans/decks than I have seen so far.

As for the post code thing. Yes, I am sure some people did reject them at first.
Maybe my box had a sticker that was peeled off.

The last one on Ebay, the £200 one, the seller said that part of the address was torn on the box. So perhaps that had a sticker that was peeled off.

I don't know why I am so obsessed with all this petty stuff.
I think it was because I was surprised to see that my fool was different from the one on Tarot Garden, and then I was positivley shocked to find that other peoples backs were different.

Perhaps I am trying to reassure myself that my deck is real.

gregory

Lillie said:
I think it was because I was surprised to see that my fool was different from the one on Tarot Garden, and then I was positivley shocked to find that other peoples backs were different.

Perhaps I am trying to reassure myself that my deck is real.
I'm sure it is - especially as the listing actually MENTIONS the backs of yours ! Which were news to me when first you said they were different !

Lillie

Which would mean that the person who asked the question knows about 'my type' of backs.
And so does the seller!

So, HA! Other people must have it too! :)

Unless they have been reading this thread... :(

Which would mean that my bizzarre backs are now internationally famous.

Who is the seller?
Is it an AT member?

gregory

One cloakadagger, of the UK (in Bristol). They seem to know something about the deck..... Not into other tarots just now, only the book to go with the deck. Past history all VERY strange music. I would suspect someone who bought one as a way-out thing back then, and now realises they can get real money for it. Except that there isn't a single bid yet !!! (Probably all forum members are holding out for the Pamela A, in London, running at $1009 last time I looked !!!!! only 6 hours to go, don't all rush....) (out of my class..... It was out of my class when it STARTED !!!! :cool4: ) (partly because I just won something else I couldn't afford.....!)