1JJ Swiss

SuzanneMoon

Hiya guys was just wondering does anyone use these cards at all?

I bought a deck the other day and i had craved them for ages, when i got them though, they felt odd and to be honest i could not work with them. there was no negativity they just did not feel right.

Well you can imagine i was a bit dis-heartened, so gave them to my best friend who says they are working fine with her.

Love
Suzanne
x

numbers

I've used them a few times, and found that they saw what was coming a few days later even when I was just looking for perspective on the current day. Nevertheless, I've decided that I should mostly use decks with illustrated pips, so haven't used the 1JJ much.
Conclusion: 1JJ really works, but I have no idea why.

Regards,
"Numbers"

Noir

1JJ was my very first Tarot deck because it was easily accessible at the time I first began to explore the Tarot. We never got along and the more I used it the less I liked it. Getting my first Rider deck was a huge relief, not unlike dating someone that finally understands you. :)

Little Baron

This deck has my most favourite 'batons' of all decks I have seen.

LB

full deck

I started with the 1JJ as well. It is still a decent deck to work with. I'm glad I did not start with the Rider simply because it is not proper to put one's pictures into someone else's head unless one is seducing them.

Cerulean

If you want a "historical'' deck...

...it may have been the first historical pattern I think that Americans saw because it inspired Stuart Kaplan's founding of U.S. Games for card players and tarot collection fans...I believe it was originally distributed from an agreement to use AG Mueller's printed version, so early copies (previous to 1960's??) had AGM labels...

I decided for historical reasons, having an older version works for me. Didn't have to be pristine...may use it someday, when in the mood for a folksy woodcut. The designs are different than other decks that I have.

I don't mind Stuart Kaplan's old book of "Fortune Telling for Fun, etc.," that has the IJJ Swiss. It also has a period feel, prior to the movement for 'new age' tarot for personal enlightenment...

Cerulean

Little Baron

LittleBuddha said:
This deck has my most favourite 'batons' of all decks I have seen.

LB

And swords as well, I forgot to mention. Whenever I pull this deck out, I get a weird feeling. It is almost as if it were my first deck. And it wasn't. It was quite a late addition and one that I have not used that much. However, about nine years ago, when I first became interested in tarot, while at a friend's house for dinner, his wife said she had a deck and pulled the 1JJ out. I looked through it for ages. I had never held a pip deck at that stage and it felt totally alien to me. I didn't really like it that much but I was fascinated by what seemed much older than the couple of illustrated decks I had. If felt like real tarot, if that makes sense, in my mind. Many years later, after my own 1JJ purchase, I asked her if I could take a look. In my memory, which was quite vague, I thought it was a Marseille I had seen many years ago and was curious. I wonder now, if there is a sentiment and wonder involved with my 1JJ due to the fact that I saw and handled it with more youthful, naive and uninformed eyes than I would do if presented with a deck today.

LB

Abrac

LittleBuddha, I'm with you. The batons in this deck are simply awesome. The cups too! I've never used it to read with; but I feel that this would be one deck with unillustrated pips I might be able to read with.

I had been thinking of getting this deck when I started noticing more and more of them turning up on eBay. I snagged a 1970 version for almost nothing; and I'm really glad I did. The fabulous colors combined with the simplicity of the images makes for a fascinating mix!

-fof