1971 RWS - AG Muller

Abrac

I don't recall ever seeing the standard RWS printed in Belgium, only Switzerland - then China and Italy. If there is a version printed in Belgium, it will be news to me. Hopefully someone will know. :)

atlantean

It's probably my mistake then... :)

I thought there would be "printed in Belgium" standard RWS decks as there are Universal Waite ones.

Llynn

I found this thread by acident but it inspired me to look out for the RWS - AG Muller boxes, and lo and behold e-bay uk had two on offer! I managed to win a Waddington's edition and also one of the later editions (the LWB mentions the Traveller's Tarot). The boxes are battered but the Waddington set looks as if it has not been used for reading very much - if at all.

A question came to mind, Does a person read with these cards and maybe risk damage to, or loss of, one or more cards, or would it be better to try and keep them safe for future collectors or for posterity? I'm not thinking in monetary terms! If you have a collection which includes valuable editions what are your plans for it in the future?

Abrac

Hi Lynn-

Congrats on the Waddingtons. I have been on the lookout for one for a while now, but so far it has eluded me.

I don't read with, or shuffle, any of my cards that don't have sturdy stock and adequate lamination. It is ironic. I like the look and feel of cards that are more like paper, but I understand how easily they can get bent, torn, or stained. So I use my Original Rider Waite to shuffle and read with, and keep the others safely tucked away. I enjoy getting them out frequently and simply enjoying them.

As far as what my plans are my collection. Right now I don't really have one, but you have made me stop and think. I suppose it would be good to have a plan, but after all, they are just tarot cards. :)

Fulgour

Llynn said:
I managed to win a [Rider] Waddington's edition and also one of the later editions (the LWB mentions the Traveller's Tarot). The boxes are battered but the Waddington set looks as if it has not been used for reading very much - if at all.
Unless there is damage to the cards, they read as good as new.
My collection includes Riders by Waddingtons, Weiser, AGMuller,
and they are sturdy, resiliant, shuffle very well, and work great.

Llynn said:
A question came to mind, Does a person read with these cards and maybe risk damage to, or loss of, one or more cards, or would it be better to try and keep them safe for future collectors or for posterity?
I do readings with my Riders every day, shuffling them normally...
risk of damage isn't an issue, and I try not to lose things anyway.
The future is now (as the saying goes) Enjoy your Tarot decks! :)

yaraluna

holly!

Holly RIder batman!!! :bugeyes:

All I am looking for is to know which deck has the non-glossy/plastic coating (current USGames) cards! :(

i am so confused now as to which of these whole sets of edition after edition is the one i am looking for...

I guess that would be anything before 1990's? anything that doesn't have the copyright USgames on the cards???

yara the confused!

Abrac

Your best bet is to find one that either has no copyrights or has a New York address for US Games. You will not be disappointed if you just stick to that.

Teheuti

Help Please

Here's the rough data I've compiled on the RWS deck from around the 1930s on. I'd really appreciate additional information and corrections. All information on dates gratefully accepted.

Rider-Waite Tarot (see original, 1909) “reissued in 1970 by U.S. Games Systems, Inc., New York; Hutchinson Publishing Group Ltd., London; and AG Muller & Cie, Switzerland.” Encyclopedia of Tarot, Vol. 1. (Also notes: “Other versions issued by University Press, New York, and Albano Productions, California and Merrimack Publishing Corp.”)
The U.S. Games editions can be dated by copyright & reprint number on LWB and by the U.S. Games address on the box:
• 120 Wall Street, New York N.Y. 10005 (1968-1969) (this is only for Tarock No. 1 JJ in a white wrapper)
• 468 Park Avenue South, New York, N.Y. 10016 (roughly 1970-1980) The copyright does not appear on the cards until around 1975. Not laminated.
• 38 East 32nd Street, New York, N.Y. 10016 (roughly 1980-1990). The cards became laminated around 1985.
• Stamford, CT (1990-on) The calligraphy titles were replaced with a typographic font around 1995(?). At this time a tiny sliver of the cards seems to have been eliminated.

Mid-20th century British printings of the deck appear as follows:
• Dark green slipcase box: Rider and Co, 47, Princes Gate, London. Made and printed by Fisher Knight and Co Ltd, Gainsborough Press, St Albans. White-cover copy of “Key to the Tarot” No date. No copyright on cards. (1931-53?)
• Waddington Playing Cards Co. LTD., 40 Wakefield Road, Leeds LS10 3TP, Yorkshire England. Dates? No known example of an Waddington/non-Rider deck. [John Waddington Limited was a leading producer of playing cards and card games in the UK during the period 1922-1995. The company was founded in the nineteenth century by Mr John Waddington and Wilson Barratt as Waddingtons Ltd. It was renamed John Waddington Ltd in 1905. The original Mr John Waddington resigned in 1913.]
• Blue lift-off box with World card (yellow wreath & purple scarf). Printed by A. G. Mueller. End flap of box: “First edition 1910/ Reprinted many times to 1939/ Second edition 1971. Rider & Co, 3 Fitzroy Square, London W1 “in association with Waddington Playing Card Co Ltd;” No copyright on cards. Accompanying “Key to the Tarot” (same image as box): book (sold separately) says: “All Rights Reserved” First published 1910/This edition 1972/Second impression 1973/Third impression 1974. ISBN 0 09 109351 1. Lines sharper and colors slightly more intense than later versions. Not laminated.
• Slightly lighter blue lift-off box with World card (green wreath & purple scarf). Printed by A. G. Mueller. Rider & Co. -17-21 Conway Street - London W1P6JD. Copyright on lower right margins of cards. Same quality as U.S. Games. Not laminated.
• Purple lift-off box with Fool card. Copyright on cards.
• Royal blue with World and Fool on lift-off box. Rider & Co. (Random House). UK distribution only, March 1987. ISBN 0091093406

Mary K. Greer

mysticmonkey

Mary the edition I have is a blue lift-off box, white base. Front is the World with green wreath, purple scarf.
Right edge of box says Rider & Co 3 Fitzrov Square London W1.
Left edge "printed for Rider & Company London by A. G. Muller & Cie Switzerland.
No mention of Waddingtons. No copywrite mark on cards. No mention of date of printing on the box or LWB other than the box stating when the deck was first published. (1910)
LWB mentions the Travellers Tarot on page 26 near the back. Oh and there is an advert for "The Definitive Tarot" by Bill Butler which was published in 1975 so puts this deck around that time or shortly afterwards.
Plaid back and not laminated of course.

Teheuti

catbaloo said:
Right edge of box says Rider & Co 3 Fitzrov Square London W1. .... Oh and there is an advert for "The Definitive Tarot" by Bill Butler which was published in 1975 so puts this deck around that time or shortly afterwards.
Plaid back and not laminated of course.
This is great. So the earliest modern printings seem to have Waddington's mentioned on the box (1970-71?). The Fitzroy Square address seems to have been good through 1975 - but still with no copyright on cards. I think this accords with the USGames cards where the copyright doesn't appear until 1975-76. AGMueller was printing the cards for both Rider & USGames so they probably all came from the same batches - except the Waddington's-box cards which are somewhat superior.

Have you compared your printing quality with any later ones?

Mary