1971 RWS - AG Muller

The crowned one

missy said:
If it is a yellow box printed by AG Muller what date is that printing? (Made in Belgium)

I see a blue box version referenced by Mary but no yellow.

I think you are talking about the "printed in Switzerland expressly for US games systems" yellow box?

091386613x was printed at least as early as '75..as late as '89.

Teheuti

Does anyone have a post-1960 version of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck without the squiggle (or "oops line") on the Sun?

The crowned one

Teheuti said:
Does anyone have a post-1960 version of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck without the squiggle (or "oops line") on the Sun?
I just went through many many decks ( I photoed each in case we need to see them)...From a 1965 Zolars to The 1968 Albano, a few University Press's from 59-63, a couple versions of the "blue box" , Waddington" and rider&Co... The swiss Rider-Waite from 71 and versions through about 83.....All Have the squiggle line.

Kissa

Calligraphy

i think that's what Holly calls the "oh shit line" on her webpage LOL

A question: do all the blue box carry the lovely calligraphy by Pixie? I am looking for a deck that feels as wonderful as my old AGM in yellow box, tartan backs BUT awful typography in French.
I was thinking of hunting a blue box, probably 1987 since it would be the easiest one to find.

My old RWS feels so nice to handle i actually prefer it to a new plasticy RWS with nice hand-written text.

(if someone has a blue box RWS, if the blue box deck carries the calligraphy, if you want to trade or sell your own copy, if if if, just PM me ;-) )

K

coredil

Teheuti said:
Yes!!!
The Glow In The Dark Tarot :)

Not sure if you will consider it as a real RWS as it has quite simplified line drawings ;)

Best regards

Attachments

• GlowSun.jpg
    GlowSun.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 326

Le Fanu

Kissa said:
A question: do all the blue box carry the lovely calligraphy by Pixie? I am looking for a deck that feels as wonderful as my old AGM in yellow box, tartan backs BUT awful typography in French.
I was thinking of hunting a blue box, probably 1987 since it would be the easiest one to find.

My old RWS feels so nice to handle i actually prefer it to a new plasticy RWS with nice hand-written text.
yes - as far as I know - they do all have the calligraphy. The typeset titles are relatively recent. I'm curious, though, why you stipulate 1987 as a date for the deck. I'm not sure Rider & Co were still producing the RWS deck then...

Most of them tend to be 70s and early 80s, but maybe you're right, they produced them that late

Kissa

Le Fanu said:
I'm curious, though, why you stipulate 1987 as a date for the deck. I'm not sure Rider & Co were still producing the RWS deck then...

Most of them tend to be 70s and early 80s, but maybe you're right, they produced them that late

Hi LeFanu,
thx for the info :)

I know a bit better what to shop for now :)

Re: 1987 edition, check post #1 by Mary "Teheuti" here http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=85278
I am so grateful for the RWS historians present among us, their great knowledge is most appreciated :)

K

Nerys

I'm coming out of lurkerdom to bump this thread with a question.

Just today I stopped by a secondhand bookstore and picked up a yellow box RWS. I've been snooping around this forum to try and find a rough date for it, but now I'm a little confused.

I found Teheutl's post on the last page really helpful, but when I was checking out my copy I found that the US Games address on the box is Stamford, CT (1990 and on) whereas the address on the "here's what else you can order" card in the deck itself is 38 East 32nd St. in New York (1980-1990). Could the deck be in the wrong box? Everything else about it seems to correspond to early eighties printing - calligraphy titles, unlaminated, tartan backs, copyright notice on the front of the cards.

Maybe the previous owner had two copies and somehow got the boxes swapped?

Abrac

Hi Nerys. :)

I think I have one very similar to yours. I bought it from an Amazon seller and it was still shrink-wrapped. The box and booklet say Stamford, CT but the advertisement card says 38 E. 32. The cards feel like they are totally unfinished. They also have copyrights. The grays are also different from any other Waite-Smith I've see. They are almost brownish in places. I seem to remember someone else mentioning they had one like this but I wouldn't have a clue of where to start looking. If memeory serves I think it was Cerulean but maybe not.

It's not unusual for US Games decks to have addresses that don't match. I've encountered it enough to make me think it normal. And since the one I got from Amazon was still sealed it seems pretty clear they came from the factory that way. They probably had leftover stock and wanted to use it up before printing new.

My dating theory differs a little from Tehuti's. I believe the move to Stamford, CT happened around 1985, so theoretically your cards could have been printed in 1985 or 1984 even. But without a definite confirmation from Stuart Kaplan himself it might take some thorough research to pin it down exactly. Yours may be in the wrong box but it's totally plausible that it's not. :)

Nerys

Thanks for the reply, Abrac.

Interesting to hear that other people have the different addresses thing too. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of lamination and the calligraphy titles when I opened up the box to count the cards. Before this I have only ever owned a super slick plastic laminated recent printing with the non-handwritten titles, and those two changes make a BIG difference in how much I like the deck.

I don't have my other RWS with me at the moment so I can't compare the greys, but it does sound similar to yours. Makes sense what you said, the deck having been put in this box at the factory because of leftover stock or whatever.

I guess the unlaminated cards would still put it at roughly 1980-1985 though, right?

edited to add: I don't know if all printings have this, but for what it's worth, the second extra card has a tartan back and a completely blank face.