1JJ swiss Tarot deck- Need info

Abrac

Alpha-Omega that's a US Games version from the early 70s. It's not really one of the first ones. As I mentioned, the oldest one I've seen was by Wehman Bros. and I believe it was from the late 50s or early 60s. There are a lot of different versions out there but the main difference in them is the packaging, the cards are the same. Normally they have French titles, but more recently US Games has been using English.

uwe

Alpha-Omega, i've got a 1JJ from the seventy's which looks just like the one in your pictures and that includes the box. I think my one was from '72. Mind you, i don't know what happened to my box, since i keep the deck in a velvet bag.

tapestry

Alpha-Omega,

I've got an 1JJ deck, too, *exactly* like yours with the 2-part red and gold box and the French lettering on the cards along with the LWB.

My mom gave it to me a few weeks ago when she was visiting. She got it in 1970. She said she bought them when she got interested in tarot but never really used them and gave 'em to me 'cause she knew I was interested in tarot....

They're pretty cool-looking cards, however, look difficult to read with for a beginner like me with the non-illustrated pips and all the cards being in French....I will keep them, tho, because of their sentimental value....

I wonder if these were the most readily available tarot cards to buy in the early 70's?

Alpha-Omega

Hmm thank you for all the info!!! But how can the deck be from the 70's? My aunt told me she remembers her mother having it while my aunt was a child. This would have put it before the 70's, Did production of this deck happen in the mid to late 60's as well? Thank you all

tabbycat

Marina said:
Guess my deck is an English version. The titles are also in French.
I don't think your deck is one of the 70s ones, as they weren't marked 1JJ or Swiss tarot, just "Tarot Cards". I'm not sure of that deck's history, as OH found it in his shop and brought it home for me. Most of the 1JJs that I see on eBayUK have French titles - wonder if it's a European thing? I've never seen one with the titles in English.

tapestry said:
I wonder if these were the most readily available tarot cards to buy in the early 70's?
They were the ONLY deck you could get your hands on easily back then! My own copy dates from the early 70s and was my first deck. It was widely distributed in the UK by Waddingtons, the games manufacturer, with a book and a CC layout sheet.

Abrac

Alpha-Omega said:
Hmm thank you for all the info!!! But how can the deck be from the 70's? My aunt told me she remembers her mother having it while my aunt was a child. This would have put it before the 70's, Did production of this deck happen in the mid to late 60's as well? Thank you all
The instruction pamphlet that comes with this particular version says Copyright 1970. That is when it was first published. It could be possible that it's an older deck and was transfered to a newer box at some point. It could also be your aunt's memory is off a little. I'm not saying she's intentionally lying, but sometimes a person's memory can play tricks on them, especially when trying to recall something from long ago. It could be as much as 38 years old so that would only make her 7 years off, not too bad. :)

The crowned one

I recently sent this same deck off to someone. Mine was dated 1970. Same backs exactly. Same fronts as far as what you have shown. I agree with Abrac in dating.

tapestry

tabbycat said:
They were the ONLY deck you could get your hands on easily back then! My own copy dates from the early 70s and was my first deck. It was widely distributed in the UK by Waddingtons, the games manufacturer, with a book and a CC layout sheet.

Weren't the Aquarian and Morgan Greer out then, too, though? I recently bought both of those decks as I like collecting old decks, and they're both from the 70's as well and done by Morgan Press........were they a lot harder to find back then than the Swiss 1JJ?

Alpha-Omega

The deck does not have the LWB, They were made in Switerland and Made by Ag Muller and Distributed by US Games. and as Tabbycat said they are titled 'Tarot Cards"...

Emily

My 1JJ Swiss decks are in storage now but I have my original one bought in about 1981 but a much older one from the early seventies and I remember something being mentioned on here about the copyright on the 2 Deniers(?) and that its different in the other versions of the deck.

I might do a search in a bit because although this is one of the original style decks there were quite a few versions of it and I do also have the English new print.