Samhain DOB 2016 - possible design, thoughts?

seven stars

How about you darken the background of the moon? I think one of the reasons why it looks like a red dot is because it's hard to associate its background with the night sky. Hope thar helps. :)

Better or worse?

Attachments

• Moon with brown back.jpg
    Moon with brown back.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 237

blue_fusion

Better or worse?

Looks so much more like a moon now! Any chance you can change the sky's color to something blueish or purplish? :D but this current one's already a great improvement.

seven stars

Looks so much more like a moon now! Any chance you can change the sky's color to something blueish or purplish? :D but this current one's already a great improvement.

Purplish blue sky -

Attachments

• Brown back red moon blue sky.jpg
    Brown back red moon blue sky.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 253

Anise

Lovely idea!

Oh man. This is not going to help you narrow anything down, but I really like everything about the first pics you posted. The aged paper background is so attractive, and I think the scrawly font is great. Even if the words are illegible from some angles, the handwritten style adds a lot to the mood. And anyway, the numbers are legible, and the pictures are recognizable as the card they are. I think if you just added more craters to the moon, it would be more obvious.

Also, if you do end up doing a moon motif, would they be on all the cards? I'd be interested in hearing about the "indoor" cards, or the Sun/Moon cards.

seven stars

3 of them with the deep purplish blue sky & blood moon. Maybe it needs to be aged more. Maybe it still looks like a big tomato.

Attachments

• 3 blood moon blue sky.jpg
    3 blood moon blue sky.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 252

ldiddy

It's so cool that you come to garner and consider feedback from the AT community.

Why not consider different phases of the red moon? (don't think I've seen that suggested here yet)

Regardless, I think you are on your way to another fabulous production!

seven stars

It's so cool that you come to garner and consider feedback from the AT community.

Why not consider different phases of the red moon? (don't think I've seen that suggested here yet)

Regardless, I think you are on your way to another fabulous production!

Anise - I really kinda like the paper too even without the moon.

As for the different phases of the red moon.......there are 78 cards, and one is the moon card, so that was kind of messing with me. I'm not sure I could break the moon down into 78 phases.

RiverRunsDeep

I am beyond excited to hear that another Samhain DOB is in the works!! :D :D

Some random thoughts....I like the idea of using the blood moon, but not for all 78 cards. Maybe use the blood moon for the major arcana, then choose four other moon phases for the suits (waxing and waning crescents, lunar eclipse, and regular full, silvery moon). Or maybe use the blood moon for the majors, then choose four Samhain-y symbols for the suits, like black cats, owls, ravens, and bats. (??????)

I absolutely love the idea of a borderless deck. And I prefer both the vintage paper and brown colored backgrounds because they provide that worn, aged appearance your decks are known for.

I'm excited to see what you finally decide upon!