Stating the question aloud vs. keeping quiet...

catlin

Hi,

I also leave it up to the querant if (s)he wants to state the question or not. Personally, I prefer discovering the question in the reading.

I usually start with a CC and explain what I see in the cards. Most querants start commenting or asking, especially if there are court cards or very striking Major Arcanas around. I also pay attention to the cards I get after shuffling and parting the deck in 3 heaps.

moonsinger

Questions

I usually let the querrent decide wether or not to ask their question out loud.

Elle

I trust the cards truthfulness over the querent every time!

Elle

carrielynnsim

I think most people I have done readings for just want a "general reading" which to me is when there is no question asked. However, most of the time during the "general reading" the person will say something like, "that's what I wanted to know". So to me, they were thinking of a question, but didn't want to let me in right away.
When someone has a specific question, sometimes it's more difficult for me because the pressure is on and sometimes the cards are not answering that question, but wanting to tell them something else.
Carrie

mondk

I usually am uncomfortable with them stating the question out loud; I prefer them to think of what they want to know while they shuffle. I also prefer for them to not talk or comment until the reading is through. For me, it is more difficult for me to be completely objective when they insert their comments or ask questions where I'd like to tell them what I would do in that situation, make sense?

For example, one time, this girl asked out loud while shuffling if she should break up with her abusive boyfriend. While reading the cards, I found myself looking for the cards to mean that yes, she should, only because I have been in that situation and I felt that she should. So, I had to nix that reading because it was too difficult to be objective and tell her what the cards said because I so badly wanted to help her TO break up with him.

Blessings, Michelle

dolphingirl

Well I have done readings both with or without questions. Usually if it is a general reading I will do it without a question but I prefer to have a question before I read. To many times I have people that want to know "will so and so ask me out on friday the thirteenth or will I decide to eat strawberries and break out in hives" lol ok so that is a bit of an exageration, but I find that often people expect things from a reading that either tarot can't help them with or shouldn't. If we are both on the right page as to what tarot does and doesnt' do then I find that the reading is easier and often more relevant.

Also I like to talk with my querent throughout the readings. I personally find that alot of the "answers" in tarot are things that they already know and just didn't want to admit to on a conscience level. To me I enjoy the give and take that a reading that I do for another has if we talk and communicate throughout.

I do hate to do readings when people want you to prove that you can "see the future:

I don't think that any of the ways people do readings is better than another, and I will sometimes use a question up front and sometimes not. I just do what feels right at the time :)

samreid26

Aloud for me.

What I think works best is if your reading for other people, let them say the question out loud, unless it's very personal, because then I can interpert it into their life, and their problem/question. That's just my opinion. :laugh:
:OL

truthsayer

i prefer not to know the question b/c if i know i will try to give responses that the querent wants to hear. if i don't know the reading is more likely to be honest b/c i can't please q when i don't know what s/he wants to hear. i do ask if what i'm saying is clear or if i need to be more specific. i also try to avoid eye contact or watching the q b/c i'm good at reading body language.

bighairymonster

I don't say anything aloud usually. I find that saying aloud or thinking to myself works just as fine.

tmgrl2

Interesting...as I go through some of the Mechanics Threads...to read...I found this one.

I find myself in live readings, asking the Q if there is an area the would like me to focus on or would they just like a general reading. So far, they have asked me a question ...one just wanted a general reading. I do ask if they want to take notes...Sometimes, I ask them about what they might see in a particular card themselves...once I get going, I'm on a roll anhow. Afterwards, I ask if they have any other questions about the reading. I tell them the are free to share anything with me they wish, but that it isn't necessary....I try to let the reading shape itself as a relationship between me and the sitter. Seems to work. ..

Finding my style is a process...Live readers I have encountered recently can't understand how we can read online here at AT. To us, we just do it...and take it for granted that it's as valid as a face-to-face.

terri