Nautical & Carnival Tarot Decks.

DownUnderNZer

If anyone has these decks - what do you think of them?

1) Card stock quality.
2) Were they worth buying.
3) For reading or are they just to collect.
4) Pros & Cons.

Any bit of info would be appreciated.

DND :)

Dogs&Coffee

Hi DND!

I did a video review for both of these decks: https://youtu.be/SXAKHtrm27o

The long/short: They're beautiful and quirky. There is marked improvement between the two editions, and to really understand the imagery I suggest getting the art books as well. The founder Kayti is amazing, and this artist collaborative deserves all the support we can give it :)

DownUnderNZer

Having a look now...thanks! :thumbsup:

Hi DND!

I did a video review for both of these decks: https://youtu.be/SXAKHtrm27o

The long/short: They're beautiful and quirky. There is marked improvement between the two editions, and to really understand the imagery I suggest getting the art books as well. The founder Kayti is amazing, and this artist collaborative deserves all the support we can give it :)

DownUnderNZer

Hi...

Watched most of it - just making a coffee then back to it.

What state doe she come from? And did you order those prints or was it a part of those packages? I have not seen any mention of prints, but was considering the book and deck sets anyhow.

Helpful video. :D

gregory

Have both - and the one even before those, Tarot 78. I love them all, and Kayti is indeed brilliant. By a freak of nature I also have the book for the Carnival (long story; a disaster led to my striking it lucky })) and it is a stunning volume.

If you have the chance - get them.

DownUnderNZer

Thanks gregory!

Have been off and on today seeing if any reviews and what have you like more images online, but never thought of YouTube at all.

Think I am going to go for it. :heart:

I know the very first one is no longer available, but if it ever does come up I will get that as well if I am still into buying Tarot. Late to the party as always, but I like the fact that this involves so many artists and some of the art in it is my kind of art.

Have both - and the one even before those, Tarot 78. I love them all, and Kayti is indeed brilliant. By a freak of nature I also have the book for the Carnival (long story; a disaster led to my striking it lucky })) and it is a stunning volume.

If you have the chance - get them.

Carojulie

I have the Nautical and like it a lot.

- it reads well. It is worth it for collecting (great art ) but not only : it does read easily and well too, in RWS style but with liberty taken in some cards from the traditional RWS symbols and imagery. For me, just the right amount of liberty; with a RWS inspired deck, I love a new take from the traditional imagery, but I also like to see some traditional meaning in the cards.
- it is cohesive for a collaborating deck. It has the best of the collaborative element (many very different styles of art) but also, due to the unity of theme, and due to the effort in presentation, it makes for a cohesive whole.
- cardstock is ok, not the best IMO but ok (but I am very difficult to please when it comes to cardstock). Here cardstock is good enough, not flimsy in the least, but not super luxurious either. I suspect it is a little fragile and might crease easily if bended, so I am very careful with my deck. Cards are larger than standard decks, and personaly I have to shuffle from the short side instead of the large side (overhand shuffle, if that makes sense)
- seller is EXTREMELY nice and helpful and a pleasure to deal with. When I ordered my deck from Etsy, a glitch occured, and she was really the best person to deal with. Customer service says a lot, and hers is just great, 5 stars.

All in all, I would say that, it the deck appeals to you, it is a good investment.

I do not have the Carnival deck, and can only speak of the Nautical. I hope it helps.

DownUnderNZer

Yes, very helpful and good to know it reads so well. :thumbsup:

I did spot one card I did not really go for at all - it was the "3 of Swords". (I know 3 to 5 year olds that could do a better job!). That artist is not going to be a fave at all and must make sure Katie knows it especially if there are little freebies added. I saw another he did - the "6 of Cups" in the Nautical which is a bit better, but still not that great compared to some of the other artists which to me are WORLD CLASS. Right up there with Ciro M.

In the video she says the Nautical is more flimsy as well.

Think I have decided on the Astro, Nautical set, and Carnival set.

PS IF I HAVE ANYMORE URGES TO BUY MORE TAROT THIS YEAR CAN SOMEONE REMIND ME NOT TO DO IT!!! :D:D:D

I have the Nautical and like it a lot.

- it reads well. It is worth it for collecting (great art ) but not only : it does read easily and well too, in RWS style but with liberty taken in some cards from the traditional RWS symbols and imagery. For me, just the right amount of liberty; with a RWS inspired deck, I love a new take from the traditional imagery, but I also like to see some traditional meaning in the cards.
- it is cohesive for a collaborating deck. It has the best of the collaborative element (many very different styles of art) but also, due to the unity of theme, and due to the effort in presentation, it makes for a cohesive whole.
- cardstock is ok, not the best IMO but ok (but I am very difficult to please when it comes to cardstock). Here cardstock is good enough, not flimsy in the least, but not super luxurious either. I suspect it is a little fragile and might crease easily if bended, so I am very careful with my deck. Cards are larger than standard decks, and personaly I have to shuffle from the short side instead of the large side (overhand shuffle, if that makes sense)
- seller is EXTREMELY nice and helpful and a pleasure to deal with. When I ordered my deck from Etsy, a glitch occured, and she was really the best person to deal with. Customer service says a lot, and hers is just great, 5 stars.

All in all, I would say that, it the deck appeals to you, it is a good investment.

I do not have the Carnival deck, and can only speak of the Nautical. I hope it helps.

DownUnderNZer

Thanks everyone for your helpful input!!!

All sorted for all three decks - Nautical Collectors/Astral/Carnival Tarot & Book set.

As for the very first one - will keep an eye out from time to time but am happy enough with these ones I think.