Dark Angels-Magician

Hemera

This is one of my least favorite cards in the deck but I drew it this morning so...

I dislike everything about this guy. His pose is artificial and why is he bald and dressed in that horrid nylon dress? Why white? :bugeyed: It is probably meant to look like silk but it just looks very much like sweaty nylon.Yuck.

What I find more interesting is the background. There is a big stone staircase leading up towards the castle which can be seen dimly on the background. There´s the moon,too.
The things on the table in front of him are also interesting: the knife (for swords), the chalice,and then something that looks like gold. So is he maybe an Alchemist who has been making gold? Maybe this is the yellow stuff the Pentacles are all made of in this deck? Where is the Wand, I wonder? It seems to be missing.

Sanctum_Priest

Hemera said:
This is one of my least favorite cards in the deck but I drew it this morning so...

I dislike everything about this guy. His pose is artificial and why is he bald and dressed in that horrid nylon dress? Why white? :bugeyed: It is probably meant to look like silk but it just looks very much like sweaty nylon.Yuck..

Yes, he's irritating and the least said about him the better, save that the LWB says: "The Magician believes he has the power to summon and control that which he calls. But all power must be earned and even for the angels it is a long road before the novice becomes adept." I read this to mean that this man is not convincing in the role of Magician...and he doesn't look it. He just looks like a bad actor to me. Not that I have any affinity with any "Magicians"

Hemera said:
What I find more interesting is the background. There is a big stone staircase leading up towards the castle which can be seen dimly on the background. There´s the moon,too.
My eye is not drawn to the staircase but the face under the tabletop between the Corinthian pillars -- I think that face is the most intriguing aspect of this card.

Hemera said:
The things on the table in front of him are also interesting: the knife (for swords), the chalice,and then something that looks like gold. So is he maybe an Alchemist who has been making gold? Maybe this is the yellow stuff the Pentacles are all made of in this deck? Where is the Wand, I wonder? It seems to be missing.
Yes, there appears to be no wand or lemniscate. But to find 4 things on the table one has to say they are: chalice, wand (for fire, as opposed to knife), gold and fumes (air/swords)

Moona

Maybe, as a novice, he has accidentally ruined the wand (remain of it still in his right hand?) and melted the coins? He will be running out of equipment if he goes on like that :D. His expression tells that he is not completely convinced about what he is doing. Is he scared? Not very trustworthy Magician indeed.

Nocturnal Lure

I feel the Magician here radiates arrogance a concept very fitting for the card I feel. The magician is also a performer, calling him a bad actor actually seems to fit the card as well.

He is extrovert (dressing as such), a showman and perhaps even a charlatan, all aspects of the magician as far as I feel.

I like this card, I always perceived it as a more subtle less traditional Magician emphasizing on the negative aspects of the card, just what I needed the dark angels deck to do.

But off course, that's just how I feel about it.

Moona

Negative aspects of the Magician, that makes sense. I like that point on view.

bluecaffeine

I think, the magician looks into the steam, he wonders what he has produced there. He is not sure, if he has done the right spell or mixture. The result does not persuade him.