Please help me translate this to english

Aulruna

Well, my Mittelhochdeutsch is quite rudimentary, but I guess the Elephant would go like this:

Elefant
Frew dich und hab ein fries leben
Ere und gut wil dir got geben
Uin din grosse miltikeyt
Dar zu ist dyn Lob weyt
Lob got und dien im wol
Dyn hercz wirt frewden vol
Und du das mit gantzen trewen
es sol werlich dich nicht gerewen

The Elephant
Rejoice and have a free life
Honour and goods God will give to you
and your meekness
Also your fame will spread wide
Praise God and serve him well
Your heart will be full of joy
Do this with all your trust
You shall not regret it.

Huck

My family on all sides can be traced back before 1000AD, sorry I have to be careful here, but I am a descendant of royal blood line. hence my name on ones side of my family tree.

Well ... it's a mathematical problem ... if you go with your genealogical record to 1000 AD, you've 1.000.000.000 ancestors (counted 3 generations on 100 years would make for 1000 years 2^30 = 2^10*2^10*2^10 = 1024*1024*1024)

However, soooo much persons weren't on earth then.

So with some guarantee everybody living now has lots of royal blood lines between his or her ancestors. It's not really a mystery and not very dangerous, at least most people live without any knowledge of it peacefully and reach an high age.

Lady Iron Side

Well ... it's a mathematical problem ... if you go with your genealogical record to 1000 AD, you've 1.000.000.000 ancestors (counted 3 generations on 100 years would make for 1000 years 2^30 = 2^10*2^10*2^10 = 1024*1024*1024)

However, soooo much persons weren't on earth then.

So with some guarantee everybody living now has lots of royal blood lines between his or her ancestors. It's not really a mystery and not very dangerous, at least most people live without any knowledge of it peacefully and reach an high age.

Thanks Aulruna, This is so awesome,

The Elephant
and your meekness
You shall not regret it.

Would you be so kind to do a few others please and thank you, I am putting that into my Minchiate Journal.

Cat*

Gregory told me about this thread, so I came to see if I can help. Unfortunately, my Middle High German (Mittelhochdeutsch) is a lot worse than Aulruna's, and I also have a hard time reading the old letters. Therefore, I'm afraid I can't offer any help here.

Good luck with finding what you need to know!

Lady Iron Side

Thanks Gregory and thanks Cat, no worries, and yes I need the luck in this journey. LOL

Well, my Mittelhochdeutsch is quite rudimentary, but I guess the Elephant would go like this:

The Elephant
and your meekness
You shall not regret it.

The Elephant is depicted on the Four of Coins

This is what Fire Cat had said in another thread

I can't remember who I got it from, but this is Hannibal invading Italy, eventually unsuccessfully.

It's about stablility and power, but not quite enough of it. It's about tenacity, but not necessarily failure.

Attrition and balance: This fits well with your interpretation, as you see the four statuses in the coins.

so how fitting that the meaning of the Elephant seems to connect a bit.

Ohh please do some more would like to see how the others fit to the cards. Please please Aulruna

Huck

lol Huck yes you've gotten a mathematical problem there. my family is not the big, however it is a large family.

... :) ... If you've 1000 years, you more or less have the whole mankind as ancestors, maybe without the man in the moon and some Amazon tribes and perhaps also some innuits. ...

Don't take the following as a personal horoscope ...

lintwurm.jpg

The Dragon
What shall the good under your hand,
I care, that you're defiled,
in body, possessions and honors,
(that) you will turn then to god.
Your evildoing mouth and your unknown life
will give you great poverty
deep in the hell
with Lucifer and his comrades.

The final eight lines of the text ...
lintwurm-2.jpg

... tell you, what you shall think of the whole book:

This story, if you believe it with your sense
as a donkey learns spinning silk,
you're made to a monkey and you're cheated,
it's all fabulous and it are lies.
It's made for boredom
God doesn't throw us out of his kingdom
(Der des ist begeren gentzlich) (not clear, perhaps:) who desires nothing,
shall speak a happy: Amen.

... .-) ... These lot book writers were always keen to keep their activity harmless, they wanted to sell some books and earn some money and didn't want trouble with the inquisition. Similar to the modern tobacco industry, the medical drug producers and these how-to-use papers for coffee-machines.

Lady Iron Side

Don't take the following as a personal horoscope ...

lintwurm.jpg

The Dragon
What shall the good under your hand,
I care, that you're defiled,
in body, possessions and honors,
(that) you will turn then to god.
Your evildoing mouth and your unknown life
will give you great poverty
deep in the hell
with Lucifer and his comrades.

ROFLMBO

Wow kinda hard to not take it a horoscope, If only you knew, (edit: the families dirty deeds), lol I am currently Living in poverty. wow.

Edit 2; (my family line is dying out there is only a handful of us left, so I have spent a few years gathering and recording as much as I can to be passed down so were not forgotten.)

I sincerely thank you for translating, now I am even more curious what the rest of this text says.

So the Above goes with the Knight of Cups, making note in journal sweet.

Huck

Ah, I see, that you've sense for the humor of the Ripuarians, a good sign, and that's a rare quality, although it's soooo good and keeps one healthy in the up-and-downs of internet and especially in the very serious discussions.

Wow kinda hard to not take it a horoscope, If only you knew, (edit: the families dirty deeds), lol I am currently Living in poverty. wow.

Edit 2; (my family line is dying out there is only a handful of us left, so I have spent a few years gathering and recording as much as I can to be passed down so were not forgotten.)

I sincerely thank you for translating, now I am even more curious what the rest of this text says.

So the Above goes with the Knight of Cups, making note in journal sweet.

Well, the book gives the advice:
Don't play the monkey,
and if you're a donkey,
don't spin silk
then comes the milk ...

... as an old wisdom for suckling babes, which somehow wish to participate in all the good things of 21th century, but translated totally something different.

No ... we have two versions: One is that of Martin Flach and the other from his relative and Martin Flach used animals and the other playing cards. As the animals occasionally appeared in the poem text, but the relative didn't show the animal, he had to alter the poem. So you cannot rely on the condition, that the content is identical in both works, as the both poets had the idea, that the text should be in rhymes .... so these wish for rhymes confuses the content.
So ... you (often) cannot give anything on the content, as the rhymes were more important than the content.
This is so with most of the lot book texts, not only this from Martin Flach. The authors are mainly poets, not really divination-system-designer .... :)