Renaissance Tarot (Jones / Lyle) - 3 of Swords

Sulis

Hurray a 3 of Swords card without rain or a bleeding heart pierced by swords.
Ooh I really don't like that RWS image that seems to have found it's way into so many other Tarot decks.
I dislike it because it is so one dimensional. It shows one meaning for the 3 of Swords but there are so many more and they don't all involve heartache and sorrow.

So here we have the usual violet background of the Swords suit and against it we see three swords with their blades pointing upwards.
2 swords are crossed and the third crosses them both.
To the left of the swords we see a blue heart and to the right of the swords we see another blue heart but this one is upside down.
What an interesting image.

The stalemate and peace of the two has been broken by the third sword so this card could simply mean that a decision has been reached.
The balance has been broken and this could be happy or sorrowful.
The two hearts tell me that the emotions which were blocked or ignored in the Two are involved again.
Threes are related to The Empress and are expressive, expansive and productive.
This card could be advising us to say what we think, stop holding things in, even if it hurts.

Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• 3 of Swords.jpg
    3 of Swords.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 772

WooMonkey

Sulis said:
Hurray a 3 of Swords card without rain or a bleeding heart pierced by swords. Ooh I really don't like that RWS image that seems to have found it's way into so many other Tarot decks.

Yes, I have to agree that the RWS image can really throw a wrench into a reading--people don't want to go on after seeing that image.

The three crossed swords are familiar, but I find my eye drawn to the two blue hearts. Perhaps as Sulis says, a decision has been reached--but it is not satisfying. Or it could be BOTH happy and sorrowful. It doesn't feel like there's resolution yet, but the swords pointing upward seem more hopeful than downward.

Enchanted

Sulis said:
This card could be advising us to say what we think, stop holding things in, even if it hurts.
That's some great advice for this card! :)

Like the image of the stabbed, bleeding heart and stormy skies, this card has become synonymous with heartbreak. And while this is certainly true, it isn't the only way to view it.

I once read in a book called "Step by Step Tarot" by Terry Donaldson about the 3 of swords in general and these thoughts have stayed with me. "learn to communicate better with the people in your life whom you love" to avoid heartbreak. And; You have experienced heartbreak in the past "because you didn't know about communication and how powerful a remedial tool it can be...."

I think that really emphasises what you were saying Sulis. If we don't express our wants and needs to our loved ones, we really are setting ourselves up for heartache and disappointment.

Did you notice that the heart that is upside down on the right hand side is a "deeper shade of blue"? (Uh-oh stop me before I start singing an awful yet contagious and highly appropriate song by Steps) :laugh: Seriously, one heart is light blue and one is dark blue. I took that as a reminder that even in our darkest sorrows, there is still some joy. Even if you have had your heart broken, there is still love in your life, friends, family, people who care. I also took these two hearts to represent the sometimes fickleness of love, and the fine line that exists between love and hate.

The two swords are crossed with the third resting on top. Almost like the two of swords, plus the ace. Clarity is or will be found and perhaps more importantly, you will have the strength to continue through adversity.

This image is kind of reassuring, like there is hope, it's not all doom and gloom. Still don't want to be on the pointy end though! :D

Sulis

Enchanted said:
Did you notice that the heart that is upside down on the right hand side is a "deeper shade of blue"? (Uh-oh stop me before I start singing an awful yet contagious and highly appropriate song by Steps) Seriously, one heart is light blue and one is dark blue.

I didn't notice but I have now :)

It's almost as if these two hearts are being prevented from coming together because the swords are in the way.
I know that sometimes this card is seen as one of love triangles and that would fit.
Or the hearts could come together but things need to be said first, the third sword needs to cut through the stalemate or tentative peace of the two.

Who would've thought this deck would be such a gem?
I love it.

Papageno

the book describes the 2 hearts as:

".......one dark, one light, to show the emotional tensions and challenges symbolized by this disruptive card"

briefly, the swords themselves are described as suggesting two triangles that represent passive and active energies.......and it goes on about the usual erotic significances etc.......and emotional pain being a catalyst for change.

so I'm glad this came up because I was having a problem with this in a recent reading and it makes perfect sense to me now (as I post)........being of two hearts/two minds........this paralyzes you, you cannot be objective....you must cleave and distinguish between the two. only in this way can you see clearly and pick the right cup.
(7/cups was one of the cards btw).

it's like being in school again LOL.......I read the cards and it's like saying "OK so let's review what we learned yesterday on the thread about the......." :rolleyes:

someone's trying to tell me something

:laugh:

Papageno

being of two hearts and two minds.....taking this a step further......manifesting in extremes of behavior. vacillating between the opposite ends of the spectrum but never touching middle ground .......conflict arises from inability to achieve balance and harmony resulting in a perpetual state of turmoil.

Bernice

I know this is an old thread but I've just ordered this deck. Primarily because of the symbolic simplicity of the pip cards. very pleased to find a study group about. Thank you!

While all the other posts about this card have expanded my thoughts, on looking at the image this is what I get:

Swords = mind/thoughts.
3 = creativity.

The swords are upright, this to me indicates a challenge, being ready to 'attack'. They stand between the two hearts, one upright with clear colour (positive) and the other reversed with darkened colour (negative).

Seems to me that this is a card about having to mentally come to terms with something that cuts you emotionally. A conflict between mind and feelings.
The upright swords indicate it's something that is *going to be dealt with*, whether by the enquirer or someone/something else.

As a 3 pip, I think it also indicates that the person is in a position, or at stage (mentally or emotionally), to tackle it.

Bee.

Enchanted

Hi Bee

It doesn't matter if the thread is older or not, you have some great insights to share! I've enjoyed reading them. :) And I think it is just the way it is with the study groups. For instance I posted something on a study group a couple of years ago and now just recently someone posted some wonderful thoughts that was so helpful and I am really grateful for.

I like this:
Bernice said:
Seems to me that this is a card about having to mentally come to terms with something that cuts you emotionally. A conflict between mind and feelings.

Best wishes
Enchanted x

Bernice

Cheers Enchanted!

So pleased there's still life in these threads. I'm looking forward to getting these cards. I really like all the input from everyone - so much more instructive (and illuminating!) than a book.

Thank you for responding. Bee