Visconti Decks

Moonbow

Can you give me opinions of the following, telling me what the difference is (other than the price!)

Visconti Sforza
Tarocchi dei Visconti
Tarocchi dei Visconti Sforza
Tarocco dei Visconti Oro
The Gold Visconti Tarot

Thanks

Moonbow*

Lee

The Gold Visconti, unlike the others, is not a reproduction of an old deck. Instead, a present-day artist has re-painted the images. Thus, they don't have the worn look that the historical reproduction decks have. In fact, in a way they might look like the original Visconti cards might have looked when they were new, or at least I think this was the idea when Lo Scarabeo published it. Also, each card is hot-stamped with shiny gold, both the backgrounds as well as accents elsewhere in the images. I like the bright, shiny gold, but I must admit that it makes the deck have a not-very-convincing look as far as being an antique deck.

Overall I like this deck because it's a manageable size for reading with, and because it's easily available.

-- Lee

Mimers

You really need to decide if you want a restored deck, or a reproduction. The reproduction will be a copy of what the original card looks like with all of the signs of aging. This is what I have. I had the Visconti Gold and agree with Lee that it is a better size for shuffling. The gold detail is breathtaking. It also comes with a good book that has a lot of the history in it.

I personally like the reproduction type decks. I like that 'old' feeling.

I would just go with the least expensive for now. If what you want to do is become more aquainted with the history of Tarot this will do for now.

Good luck!

Moonbow

Lee and Mimers

Thankyou so much, I've been doing alot of searches to try and see images and some of the reproducitons look very dark to me (although I'm not counting them out) I like to Gold very much and it might be a good one to start with (as you said Mimers)

Another for my wishlist for the moment!

Moonbow*