What was the first deck you owned?

SphinYote

Medicine Cards and Phoenix Cards (Not tarot).

Eventually Rider Waite.

I don't remember how old I was, in grade school b/c it was before we moved, but can't remember when. Probably fourth or fifth grade.

And from there I became a Tarotholic and now have around 150 decks.

Nina*

Thoth... and it is more than 7 years ago (when I was about 34).

I very quickly bought the Universal Waite though; and after that a lot more. Just never seemed to settle down with one deck :(

xxx
Nina

Red Emma

First tarot deck

inanna_tarot said:
And I turned into a weirdo pagan with some tie dye, reading tarot and studying Druidry, Kabbalah and gawd knows what else. I do sometimes tease her with some Levi style chanting hehe. Sezo x

Wow! Just my kind of lady. I can tell you're going to be a very good ATF friend.

Red Emma

First tarot deck

I haven't a dramatic story. Although I would have like to bum around India and other places. I've lived a fairly conventional life, and it wasn't until about eight or ten years ago that I looked into tarot. I was in my late sixties.

The first deck was Tarot of a Moon Garden which I bought in a new age store. I figured that I had my kids raised and everyone supported, financially or otherwise, and it was time for me to indulge some of my weirder instincts. Soon after I bought Motherpeace, then Daughters of the Moon.

Everyone but the grandkids thought it was weird. The kids all wanted Grandma to 'tell their fortune.' My grandson wanted a deck. I've bought him two and some books to go with them.

arcanalefait

My first deck was the Arcus Arcanum, and I was 16. My friend read with the Rider Waite, and I wanted something different. I found it at a bookstore, and I liked the colors and the artwork. Plus I had just chosen the name "Arcana" for myself, and I had a crush on a boy named Marcus, so I thought it was meant to be. (The relationship obviously wasn't, but I still have the deck!).

That was in 1989, and I kept only that deck until 2000, when I fell in love with and ordered the Ancestral Path deck. That apparently turned me into an addict (or maybe it was the introduction to ebay) and now I have around 50 decks. But I still love the Arcus Arcanum.

Arcana

autumn star

My first deck was Morgan Greer - it's been really great to leanr with.

It belonged to my mother and I first came into contact with it when I was about 12 - back then I didn't know anything about tarot so I just put the deck away and then just recently I have started to use them.

It''s my only deck, for some reason I don't feel the need to own many decks - maybe because I am still in the beginner stages.

Like Red Emma, I really love Tarot of a Moon Garden it is a really beautiful deck - and ít's on my wishlist

:)

lark

My daughter was doing an art project for school and asked if I would pick her up a tarot deck for the project.
Wow, that was almost 13 years ago now!
So the next time I went to the book store I looked around for a tarot deck.
None to be found,
I walked up to the counter and asked what seemed like a nice young lady if they had any tarot decks.
She said, "Yes right behind the counter here."
I asked, "Why are they behind the counter?"
"People steal them," she said.
"What people?"
"Witches."
"Witches steal them?"
"Yes, as an initiation into witchcraft they have to steal a tarot deck."
I looked around uncomfortably to see if there were any sinister looking witches hanging around.
"Do we have a lot of witches around here?"
She shrugged her shoulders and looked bored.

So I proceed to aggravate the H-E double toothpicks out of her as I make her haul out every tarot deck behind the counter so I could take a nice l-o-n-g look at them.
(I am nothing if not a thorough shopper. :D)
The Hanson Roberts looked very sweet.
Perfect for a young girl, so I brought it home.
(I was not attacked by any tarot stealing witches as I left the store either~ in case any of you were worried.)

A few days went by and the deck lay untouched on the counter.
My curiosity got the better of me and I opened it.
That was the end of me.
It seemed like all the intuition I kept entombed inside of me for so long came pouring out.
I read the LWB and thought how harsh the meanings seemed...so NOT what I was seeing and feeling from the cards.
I threw it out and went with my gut.
Where had these cards been all my life?
My daughter never did get the deck.
She got some pictures off the internet and finished her project.
No thanks to good old mom. :|

I have about 140 tarot decks and oracles now.
And the 6 tarot cards my daughter designed are framed and hanging on the wall in my Tarot Room.

fourwinds

I just bought my first deck a few months ago. It's the Robin Wood deck. I would love to purchase more in the future, but I think I need to get the hang of Tarot before I do that!

HearthCricket

My first deck was the Swiss 1JJ deck, and was given to me for Christmas, by my parents, just shortly after I turned 12 years old! I learned the major arcana from it, and the celtic cross spread, and from there went on to the Rider Waite, the Sacred Rose, and the rest is history! Wow. 30 years of tarot! Eeek!

young caterpillar

I was 22 when I got my first deck, The Osho Zen. I went to the local shop and these caught my eye.