Baroque Bohemian Cats' Tarot Question

Little Baron

Can you tell me ...

Are all the cats in the deck from photographs or are some of them painted/drawn?

In some scans I looked at, it was hard to tell.

LB

sunflowr

All the cats are the real deal, all photographed. :)

Myrrha

They are all photographs. The costumes are very detailed and amazing tiny little baroque bohemian dress-up outfits which were actually hand-made for the deck. The creators explain in the book that the cats were not asked to don the costumes but somehow the costumes were posed and photographed and then the cats were posed and photographed and the two pictures combined in photoshop.

--Myrrha

wizzle

fabulous

The kitties are all photgraphed and are in their costumes. The deck is entrancing. Too entrancing. I've had it for a few weeks. But everytime I try to do a reading I turn a card over and go....."oh, look....kitty cats. Kitty cats in little costumes." Then I drool over the card for a while. Takes forever to get to the reading because I have to pick each and every card up at least three times. I just can't get over the images. The backgrounds are photographed as well and are beaurtiful Wonderful deck.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm in love with the Page of Swords.

Flidais

don't try this at home...

I love Karen Mahoney's reassuring words in the accompanying book: "All the images were done using models that were then digitally combined with photographs of cats. No cats were harmed in any way. In fact no cat was even inconvenienced! Please don't try really dressing any cat." :D

Little Baron

Thanks guys.

The deck that I saw is in a small box (card size) so does that mean that there is no companion book? Is the book that important or can one read with the cards straight from the box.

LB

Owlface

book ?

There is a book, and I'd really recommend it-it really does enhance the impact of the deck. At least, it does for me. You may be one of those very intuitive readers who find a book, any book, a hindrance. :)

Little Baron

I do read intuitively a lot of the time (especially with the Thoth) but I always like to have a book if there is one going with a deck, just because it is nice to get an understanding where ther creators are coming from. I mimagine that because this deck has a lot of Rider Waite symbolism, with that background already, it shouldn't be so hard to pick up the details.

I think the cards are beautiful and artistically superb but I was just wondering one last thing ... is this a deck that you would use for youreself or are you happy with reading for others with it. I am not saying it is inferior and I am not suggesting that I go along with all of the expectations of querants that expect the cards to be a certain way, but I am a 30-something male, and to seriously offer a reading to someone, I wonder if pulling out a deck of cute kitties dressed up in fancy clothes might limit their expectations. Of course, if I read with it well (which many seem to do), that should not make a difference. I just wondered.

Best,
LB

Eco74

But they're not just kitties. They're vintage kitties.. In delightful costumes that make them absolutely fabulous looking and very "reneissancy".

I'm more of a dogperson but this deck does seem very well made (based on scans, what I've read about the making of it and peoples comments) so if I am ever to get a cat-themed deck, this would be the one.

Edited to add:

I'm also familiar with the creators work from the Tarot of Prague, which is one of the most beautiful collage-decks I've ever seen. The same dedication has gone into creating the Baroque Bohemian Cats aswell so I have no doubts about the high quality and standards.

Lee

Hi LB,

Personally I find this a fascinating deck and one that provides a unique reading experience.

As to whether one could read for others with it, all I can tell you is that as a 42-year-old male, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. For one thing, the "cute" factor might be just the thing to break the ice and get the querent to smile and relax. But beyond that, one thing I learned a few years ago from MeeWah, when I was asking about how querents feel about certain decks, was that most querents really aren't paying much attention to your decks and are more interested in what you are saying. These were wise words and turned out to be true in my subsequent experience.

-- Lee