Sharman-Burke's works

Kissa

Sharman-Burke's "Mastering the tarot" : yes, I know there is another book with the same name but I'd like to hear your opinions about the one by Sharman-Burke ...

About this book or Sharman-Burke's stuff in general as she has written for different levels.

Any input appreciated, even on the Sharman-Caselli deck for example.

Thanks very much in advance,

Kissa

Astraea

It's been a long time since I've read Juliet Sharman-Burke's Complete Book of Tarot -- finished her Mastering the Tarot a couple of months ago, and the book accompanying the Sharman-Caselli deck before that. In my opinion, they are okay basic books, but not remarkable; for me, at any rate, nothing about any of them makes them stand out. I do think that Sharman-Burke is sincere in what she says, and many people seem to like her books. A friend of mine who had the pleasure of studying with Sharman-Burke found her to be a very well-informed tutor. Personally, I just find that her books contain pretty standard material, though well-written and beautifully packaged.

Kissa

Astraea said:
It's been a long time since I've read Juliet Sharman-Burke's Complete Book of Tarot -- finished her Mastering the Tarot a couple of months ago, and the book accompanying the Sharman-Caselli deck before that. In my opinion, they are okay basic books, but not remarkable; for me, at any rate, nothing about any of them makes them stand out.

Oh, thanks very much Astraea, this is what I call a neutral informative critic. You have put your finger on what was bugging me: the books don't stand out. Yet, as you also mention, they are very well packaged. That brings me to my next question: what did you think of the Sharman-Caselli deck: is it just a nice looking RWS clone or does it have something to say? Is the beginner's guide coming with it written especially for this deck??

Does someone have another opinion on Sharman-Burke's books?

Kissa

sunflowr

Kissa said:
Oh, thanks very much Astraea, this is what I call a neutral informative critic. You have put your finger on what was bugging me: the books don't stand out. Yet, as you also mention, they are very well packaged. That brings me to my next question: what did you think of the Sharman-Caselli deck: is it just a nice looking RWS clone or does it have something to say? Is the beginner's guide coming with it written especially for this deck??

Does someone have another opinion on Sharman-Burke's books?

Kissa

Yes, the book that comes with it is especially for this deck. It's a great deck for beginners especially. The book is written in a way that the deck is interpreted in a more positive manner. It's not just "fortune telling" and there are no negative interpretations; even with the "darker" cards, the book speaks of hope. And there's no reversals altho the deck back is reversable. I like the artwork. Not my favorite deck but, as I said, it's great for beginners. Very easy to read, and theres quite a few cards that are beautiful! Like the Fool, Star, Empress, 2 of swords, Queen of Cups, among others. And the book points out the symbols used (which are minimal, to make it easier to read). If you are looking for an easy-to-read RWS style deck, try this. Hope this helps. :)

HOLMES

i havne't seen the deck up close. ..

but from what i seen on scans on tarot passages and joan bunning site,

the beginners tarot appeals greatly to me due to it being a prime rider clone.
http://www.astroamerica.com/t-begin.html

as for her others works i have her mythic tarot, but i dont' feel compelled to study it at this time, , and her mythic tarot book work book.

yet this is primary as for i am concerned about kabalistic, qabalistic, and cabalistic aspects of the tarot and have no reflection on her :O)

well the fool description of her fool card from the mythic tarot is nice.
there is three descriptiosn for each card, the story of the card itself.
the aspects of what it could mean if applied to this and that ,
and divinatory menaings as the third paragraph section. i found that part helpful

Astraea

Sharman-Caselli Deck and Book

Kissa, I agree with what Sunflowr says about the Sharman-Caselli deck and book set. Both the deck and book are excellent for beginning studies. The deck is a very faithful RWS clone, with a few variations, and its colors and artwork are pleasing and perhaps easier than the original RWS for contemporary readers to relate to. The book is quite positive and serves as a useful overall beginning guide to tarot (much like Sharman-Burke's Complete Book of Tarot).

It seems to me that this deck and book set would work well for those who like the RWS but would prefer more naturalistic colors and artwork of a different style; for those who wish to learn tarot; and for collectors.

Kissa

thanks!

thanks very much all of you!!!

i was considering getting the beginner's set for the deck... still need to give it some thoughts!!

kissa

Cerulean

BTW, there's a Tarot Workbook for the "Sharman-Caselli" deck

I save a b-day check from my family and bought this for creative ideas. The title is "Tarot Workbook: Featuring the Classic Sharman-Caselli deck." The ISBN in the version I have is 1-85906-143-5.

Each card described from the deck on the left hand page has commentary from different people and a description by Juliet Sharman Burke. A small scan of the original colored card is included.

A second page on the right side of each card description features an enlarged line drawing of Giovanni Caselli's tarot images. These line drawings are for the student to color in. Three or four blank lines for the student to write their own description is also provided. If the student wants a color reference, they can look on the inner left and right flaps of the workbook for small color scan of the cards. The small color scans are individually 1.25 inches by .75 inches (one and a quarter by three-quarter inches).

I am a fan of this deck, so I will enjoy using this workbook this summer.

Best regards,

Cerulean

lunakasha

I bought the Beginners Tarot set a few months ago, after admiring the artwork for a long time....I was very excited to finally have them in my hands.

Unfortunately, the publisher screwed up and left out three of the cards and replaced them with duplicates, so my deck is essentially useless, collecting dust. :(

I have sent several emails to the publisher, asking them to PLEASE send me replacement cards, but have not received a response. In spite of all that, it is a very beautiful deck, with soft coloring and exuding a warm, fairy-tale energy. I only wish I could get them to send me those three cards....

:) Luna