Lo Scarabeo Fairy Tarot Book?

lark

If you have this book could you give me the low down on it.
I usually try to get the books that go with my decks if there is one available.
Is this one worth getting?

Lee

Hi lark,

I have the book in front of me. I haven't actually read it, but as I look through it, it seems like an interesting thing to have if you like the deck, but not vital to have. It's not written by any of the authors/artists of the deck. It's basically a short introduction (which doesn't say anything about how the deck was created), then a page per card giving a description of various elements on the card and upright and reversed divinatory meanings, and then a section at the end with 12 different spreads. In a nice touch, each spread has a short sample reading with that spread.

There's a page at the end which gives bios of the authors/artists, and I found it interesting that the illustrations for the Minors were taken from the work of Richard Doyle, a famous illustrator who died in 1883.

The book seems nicely written, but again, it doesn't seem like something you really need to have, unless you're absolutely captivated by this deck and must have anything in print that relates to it. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get it, especially if you work with the deck a lot.

-- Lee

lark

Thank you Lee. :)
I have it on order with Amazon but the order has been on delay for a long time.
They gave me the chance to cancel...
So I was reevaluating it's actual usefulness.
I think I'll let the order stand.
It'll come to me when the time is right.
I always feel a deck is more valuable and complete with it's companion book.
No I don't use the deck much, but sometimes getting the book sparks a new interest and illumination into the cards.
And you end up having a fun little play with them.

lunakasha

Hiya lark!

Just curious: have you gotten the book yet???

And if so, do you find it useful in working with the deck??? I have just gotten the Fairy Tarot from someone on the trade forum and was curious about the book. Also I wasn't sure if I could get the book separately or if it only comes as part of the set.

(On a side note: how do you like the deck...are the fairy-folk as playful as they appear to be?)

Thanks!

:) Luna

lark

Hi Luna.
Actually I'm reading it right now.
I'm up to the 7 of Hearts.
It's a very interesting book.
I didn't realize the little pictures on the bottom of the minor cards had so much to do with the meanings.
But they fit quite nicely.
With that said, the meanings are a little different than what we might be used too.
And then again some are not.
So it's an interesting mix.
I am actually finding it refreshing and am getting a new perspective on some of the cards.
For instance the Two of Hearts (Cups) talks of being careful in love and that it leaves your heart open and vulnerable to being tricked.
RX~ that you mistook fireflies for lanterns and you are making a blunder by falling for this person.
There are 12 spreads in the book too.
And each page has the card illustrated so you can refer to it as you read.

I'm going to work with the deck this week as my daily draw deck so I'll let you know how it goes.
I really do love the pictures on this deck.
I got the book on Amazon and yes it does come separate from the deck.

lunakasha

Thanks lark....this sounds like an excellent companion to the deck!

I actually have not received my deck yet....but expect it sometime this week. I had been reading mixed reviews of it here, so I am looking forward to checking it out, seeing how well we *click*....and I would appreciate hearing how it is working for you as a daily reading deck.

I checked amazon.com and could not find the book by itself; I did a search under "Fairy Tarot" but maybe I need to find out the author of the book and try searching by author....

Thanks again....can't wait to play with these guys and see what happens!

lark

Here punch in the ISBN and it should pop right up.
0-7387-0570-5

lunakasha

It worked!!!

Thanks lark!!! :D

I was able to find the book on amazon, using the isbn....funny how they don't list an author, just "LoScarabeo". Anyway, I found some new and used for $15 or less, so I am keeping this one in my shopping cart for now. And the cards should be arriving any day now....can't wait to see them!