Favorite Books

witchpatcher

I like Tarot Made Easy by Nancy Garen and recommend it in my tarot classes--especially for the students that appreciate the "bottom line" without a lot of discourse. I wavered for a long time before recommending it because I was concerned my students would go for the "quick fix" instead of studying tarot in depth. Then, I stopped having delusions of grandeur and decided it's not my place to determine how deeply anyone should be studying anything. Great book for anyone who wants to sit down and start reading without much experience. And as an experienced tarot reader, I've found a lot of useful information in this book.

While I don't always agree with Ms. Garen's interpretations, I've found most of them to be quite helpful. She breaks each card down into 25 (or so) categories such as health, prosperity, job, focus, new beginnings, messages, etc. I've always had difficulty reading health issues when I draw, say, the Page of Swords as a health card. It's above average as an overall reference book, IMO.

Tarot Outside the Box is also good. I like The Tarot Companion's discussion of numerology--a topic that doesn't come easily to me. And I was delighted to read Tarot Tells the Tale.