Sallie Nichols: Jung and Tarot

Macavity

Doncha just hate it when you buy a book and later read the Amazon "reviews" and they are... awful. Such is perhaps the case with Sallie Nichols': "Jung and Tarot - An Archetypal Journey". Yet it's not THAT bad? (Is it?!) I'd even dare to venture it's rather GOOD? (OTOH, I know little of Jung! :)) Anyway, Jim Revak gives it a rather better rating on his Website? Sure, she has odd ideas of Tarot history (and even of Tarot) but then THAT stuff is mostly over with in the first chapter! Anyway it goes through card symbolism in some detail (although admittedly only major Arcana) She may get a little obscure at times (no worse than Aeclectic?) BUT perhaps it's main merit is that it is based on (and pictures) a Marseille Deck... And THAT makes a change! ;)

Anyway, I derived some useful and NEW ideas on major arcana symbolism <shrug> Worth checking out, if you can read a bit, while your next in the bookstore? Anyone else have any VIEWS on this particular book? Just wondering! No Gauntlets thrown down - You may indeed disagree! :D

Macavity

Melvis

Hi, Macavity!

I think a person's reaction to this book probably depends on the the background they are coming from. I didn't (and still don't) know a whole lot about Jung, but the author introduced me to the idea of analyzing the cards from a perspective other than pure divination.

I liked the use of the Marseilles deck, too. This was the second tarot book I read, right after Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack. The only deck I had at the time was a simple Marseille style called the "Classic Tarot" -- very basic. So when I read 78 Degrees I was so disappointed...I didn't have the RWS deck, so I couldn't really 'see' everything she was talking about! Ms. Nichols' book made me feel so much better after that! ;)

Overall, I consider it a middle-of-the-road book: it's not at the top of my list (with 78 Degrees and Forest of Souls), but I did get some useful insights from it. I think the best thing I got from it, though, was a unique perspective.

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

Macavity

Thank you Melvis. Yeah, I haven't anyway got to the end of it yet. I think one fatal error is in getting Tarot's history wrong. We all get attached to our own creation stories? If at first you don't suceed (your purchase gets indifferent reviews) Try, try again (i.e. Buy another book/deck etc.) Hmmm ;)

Macavity

firemaiden

OUI! Macavité, ze Cat he has reason!
I have been coveting this book ever since I first saw it on a bookshelf in one of those dark skull-adorned and candle-lit magick-stuff stores in NY.

I too was disappointed when I saw the review. It doesn't stop me from coveting the book however, and when I cease being shocked by how much I have spent on tarot decks, I may shock myself by acquiring this book as well :)

Moongold

Hi Macavity,

I love the book. A friend lent it to me when I first got interested in the Tarot and two weeks ago I bought my own copy.

I like the way Nichols wanders through the chapters. It suits my way of thinking. You can stop a little while at one thought, one verse and check it out and then go on. This is exactly the way I work and for the first time I've found a book which does the same :). I haven't read it cover to cover but a chapter here and there.

The book has lots of information in one place that you can't get anywhere else, and all the time I feel the author opens the door to new questions.

I was surprised at the negative reviews as well. Even the salesman recommended not to buy it. Why do you think this is so?

Moongold

Aerin

I have the book. It's interesting, and I will re-read it now I have a Marseilles deck, but it really didn't help me at all when I first got into Tarot (it was one of my first books).

I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner unless they had an interest in archetypes and a Marseilles deck. But I'm glad it is part of my collection.

Aerin

Lee

This is one of the first Tarot books I ever bought, and I love it. I've read it several times over the years. In fact, I may go back and read it again! :)

-- Lee

galadrial

I've read this book twice and I find that, even where I disagree with her, or just don't relate to her perspective, because she really applied herself and sincerely tried through various modes to "get at" the meanings of each card, I find myself doing the same. I come away with not just her insights, but many more of my own.