crystal study Group; obsidian

Minotauro

so yesterday I left it out on a table and picked it up today at around noon
I put it on and I felt it , like some kind of energy , like putting somthing warm on my chest , excep I didnt fel any heat , I felt that for a moment , and then I felt the energy not on my body but kind of around me , I have never seen auras or felt them , but that is the best description I can give I felt it in my aura ... or someting , this time I felt it because I was paying attention to what I felt while in the pat I just put it on in a hurry

Im thinking this time I may try to ask its help it for a specific purpose , use it for divination , or magic , or to try to conect with tezcatlipoca ( wich is odd Im not even a pagan or a magic user, I'm an open pantheist agnostic haha) I has always just used it for protection.

but that will be later, first I want to feel everything it sends me while wearing it just the way it is.

wildchilde

very interesting, Minos, and the pendant is beautiful!! I can see why you love it so much. I find it so wild when our crystals (or other sacred items) go on "walk-about"...I currently have a quartz crystal point that I generally carry with other sacred items that is MIA. sometimes I think they must have more important things to do than to just hang out with me :)

OMG, about the little obsidian statues, I could not believe you brought that up, Lotus! My brother also brought me one from Mexico like 23 years ago!! I was sort of ambivalent about it...I thought it was touching that he thought to get it for me and I sort of liked the way it felt in my hand, but it too was sort of a gaudy little thing that seemed a little weird. And now that you bring it up, I have no idea what's happened to it!! I had it all these years usually on a shelf with other brick-a-bracks of some sort, but now I am trying to think what I did with it!! I have moved several times the last 4 years, I don't know if I packed it away somewhere or if (gasp, don't tell my brother) I gave it away at some point because I never really connected with it. Great...now I am going to have to go on a treasure hunt and see if I can find the darn thing!

frac_ture

so I started wearing my rather large obsidian pendant , it has a sheen of concentring circles , but Im not sure it is golden sheen , something between golden and silver... I had used it before and I loved it , but then came a time after wearing it for a long while in wich it started to have ... side effects , it kinda made me feel panicky and anxiety attack on the place it fell on my chest , it even made me itchy.

I've consistently read that obsidian -- like pretty much all other black stones -- doesn't just repel negativity, but rather, it absorbs it...which had me wondering immediately after reading this part of your post, Minotauro, if maybe your pendant was simply "filled to capacity" with as much negative energy as it could hold, and so you were feeling the effects of that? I do keep reading over and over again that lots of stones -- and *especially* the ones that absorb negative energy -- need regular cleansing, so maybe a good, solid round of that would be in order for your obsidian? Just a thought.

I have never even seen an apache tear in person , it is intriguing , they arent common in mexico , and I've heard it is not as harsh as obsidian , I'd like a natural one , not polished or anything.( haha

I have a few Apache Tears, but I haven't used them yet (not long ago, I bought a ton of stones in one trip to an occult shop I'd never visited before, as they had such great stuff at such terrific prices, but the "downside," if you can call it that, is that I'll need weeks or even months before I can have a chance to work with everything I brought home in that big haul! which, I know, is not the worst problem someone could have...;)). They're very unique, though, in one really cool way: in regular lighting, they seem opaque, and they look like lots of other black stones, like, say, regular obsidian...but if you hold them up to a light source, they become translucent, so you can see the light through them -- they suddenly look like, I don't know, big gel capsules containing bath oil or some such. It's a really fascinating effect!

...and obsidian as I mentiones is the one crystal you want to use for scrying , it is just perfect for it , so I think you should try and be open to recieving any messages from it , you never know what you could find out.

I got myself a small sphere of gold sheen obsidian for exactly this purpose, although I haven't done much with it yet. My few initial forays into scrying didn't really yield up much in the way of results, although I definitely intend to try again. Supposedly obsidian is indeed a really excellent stone for scrying (Judy Hall even says in her The Crystal Bible book that gold sheen obsidian specifically is outstanding for this purpose, so I still have high hopes for eventual success!).

DownwardSpiral

ok so there's some little obsidian gods on the loose : ) Minotauro I do hope you get a chance to work with both pieces of obsidian so you can compare. My palm stone I've carried in my pant pocket so I didn't notice any "shielding" effect but I am learning that depending where on your body a crystal is placed....... it has a different effect. I've tried scrying with my palm stone and all I see is that scarecrow face with his straw hat. And I have to laugh because when I had that reading for my totem animal for the month it was cat...and when I showed my friend my obsidian and asked what he saw....he said a cat LOL and he had no idea about the cat reading.

Minotauro

I've consistently read that obsidian -- like pretty much all other black stones -- doesn't just repel negativity, but rather, it absorbs it...which had me wondering immediately after reading this part of your post, Minotauro, if maybe your pendant was simply "filled to capacity" with as much negative energy as it could hold, and so you were feeling the effects of that? I do keep reading over and over again that lots of stones -- and *especially* the ones that absorb negative energy -- need regular cleansing, so maybe a good, solid round of that would be in order for your obsidian? Just a thought.

I have a few Apache Tears, but I haven't used them yet (not long ago, I bought a ton of stones in one trip to an occult shop I'd never visited before, as they had such great stuff at such terrific prices, but the "downside," if you can call it that, is that I'll need weeks or even months before I can have a chance to work with everything I brought home in that big haul! which, I know, is not the worst problem someone could have...;)). They're very unique, though, in one really cool way: in regular lighting, they seem opaque, and they look like lots of other black stones, like, say, regular obsidian...but if you hold them up to a light source, they become translucent, so you can see the light through them -- they suddenly look like, I don't know, big gel capsules containing bath oil or some such. It's a really fascinating effect!

I got myself a small sphere of gold sheen obsidian for exactly this purpose, although I haven't done much with it yet. My few initial forays into scrying didn't really yield up much in the way of results, although I definitely intend to try again. Supposedly obsidian is indeed a really excellent stone for scrying (Judy Hall even says in her The Crystal Bible book that gold sheen obsidian specifically is outstanding for this purpose, so I still have high hopes for eventual success!).

what I can say is obsidian absrobs anu kind of energu not just negative , whenever I use it is like no other stone works with me , I dont feel anythingf , its like a little black hole =P

wheter it absorbs it or repels it I dont know , but I will be cleansing it every now and then , I didnt do it before because I had read stones such as these didnt need to , maybe mine is just special , it feels special <3

I also wanted to use it for scrying that is why I got such a large one , but I didnt ever ask it to help me for that purpose it has always felt protective , but I always feel as if just right belowe the darkness of my obsidin is something more , like looking throuygh a window in the midle of the night.

and I just bought online a few , I actually want to post some photos of it in the " show off your crystal colection" or whatever it was called thread haha , nobody has posted there in ages =P

Empath111

Minotauro,
May I ask what the warning were? I heard it just "might be too strong"
Is it that you said it may attract all energies- good an bad?

Padma

very interesting, Minos, and the pendant is beautiful!! I can see why you love it so much. I find it so wild when our crystals (or other sacred items) go on "walk-about"...I currently have a quartz crystal point that I generally carry with other sacred items that is MIA. sometimes I think they must have more important things to do than to just hang out with me :)

OMG, about the little obsidian statues, I could not believe you brought that up, Lotus! My brother also brought me one from Mexico like 23 years ago!! I was sort of ambivalent about it...I thought it was touching that he thought to get it for me and I sort of liked the way it felt in my hand, but it too was sort of a gaudy little thing that seemed a little weird. And now that you bring it up, I have no idea what's happened to it!! I had it all these years usually on a shelf with other brick-a-bracks of some sort, but now I am trying to think what I did with it!! I have moved several times the last 4 years, I don't know if I packed it away somewhere or if (gasp, don't tell my brother) I gave it away at some point because I never really connected with it. Great...now I am going to have to go on a treasure hunt and see if I can find the darn thing!

That's really weird, WildC! lol ;) our little statues, running away to new homes....I honestly, truly think crystals think for themselves and choose things - I mean, sometimes I will really want to wear a crystal I have, or a ring, and will go hunting for it in my jewellery box - and not be able to find it! Then I will freak and search and search, only to find it right away a few days later, the minute I open my jewellery case, sitting on top of everything else, in plain view. I think they go MIA or become invisible when they don't want to be used...like you said, they may be busy doing other things and not want to hang out with us! :laugh:

Good luck finding your little god :)

Padma

Mino, your observations on the Obsidian are very interesting - I can see that you really love this stone, your passion for it is obvious! That is awesome - a great connection. I have to go look for the pic of your pendant now :)

Also, Mino, I just saw your post quoting mine about Obsidian perhaps rebelling against being carved. I am really interested to hear what you say about this, because I do have marble and agate that have been carved into animals, and they seem fine with it - whereas the obsidian definitely felt to me like it did NOT want to be depicting anything at all.

DownwardS, LOL @ your comment about little gods running around on the loose! Hahahahaha!
:D Also very cool about the cat :)

Frac_ture, good point about keeping absorbing stones clean...one can easily forget that.

Minotauro

well its diferent for everybody ,as I mentioned it is truth enhancing, it makes you see hard truths that you or people around you may not have wanted to know because it suposedly makes you a little bit " harsh" wich is why it is said to help those with soft hearts , it helps you deal with said issues , same with feelings , problems, inner weaknesses, and undesirable traits are forced into recognition and dealt with , wich could be painfull, maybe thats why the god I mentioned is related to discord. and for example as I said when Im wearing this pendant , no other stone really seems to work well , it repels ( or as some people have said , maybe absorb) any kind of enery , I think I heard someone say headaches , Im not sure about that one. it is said to embody the energy of the volcano , wich is why it may bee too strong

a more gentle option but with the same properties would be snowflake obsidian wich didnt cool as fast as regular obsidian and so developed small mineral growth wich look like snowflakes.

Padma

well its diferent for everybody ,as I mentioned it is truth enhancing, it makes you see hard truths that you or people around you may not have wanted to know because it suposedly makes you a little bit " harsh" wich is why it is said to help those with soft hearts , it helps you deal with said issues , same with feelings , problems, inner weaknesses, and undesirable traits are forced into recognition and dealt with , wich could be painfull, maybe thats why the god I mentioned is related to discord. and for example as I said when Im wearing this pendant , no other stone really seems to work well , it repels ( or as some people have said , maybe absorb) any kind of enery , I think I heard someone say headaches , Im not sure about that one. it is said to embody the energy of the volcano , wich is why it may bee too strong

a more gentle option but with the same properties would be snowflake obsidian wich didnt cool as fast as regular obsidian and so developed small mineral growth wich look like snowflakes.

Oh, yes, I have seen the Snowflake ones - really pretty! :) In my crystal bible it says that the Snowflake one is good for making wise decisions, and for releasing bitterness or anger. It is also said to melt frozen emotions, and make the heart warmer ;)

Interesting about the harsh truths thing....maybe that is why Obsidian is related to Capricorn...Capricorn is governed by Saturn, the "Harsh Taskmaster", and is a cold-ish sign. Although myself I have found Capricorns to be in general very nice and practical people, calm and balanced :)

Maybe Empath can add some thoughts about that, being a Capricorn!